Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 212 total)
  • Child stealing from home and covert CCTV / spy gadgets – any tips?
  • Coyote
    Free Member

Well done. You have proved yourself to be a fantastic parent. Credit to your ex too for helping in what are obviously difficult circumstances. Your daughter, despite her diagnosis, is a lucky girl.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’ve always thought that she should in control of her bloods ‘analogue’ before going ‘digital’. There’s quite lot going on at the mo! But I will look into it.

Yes, I’ve been there with Stepson Two. With everything else going on in a teenager’s brain it was very, very hard for him to get the control he needed using MDI. Getting him to deal with high blood sugars last thing at night was a regular battle, which we managed to defuse over time.

JackHammer

Top notch parenting there. Hope all goes well for you and your daughter.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bodgy
    Free Member

The difficult thing has been to process the disappointment, betrayal and anger that I and Helen (wife) feel, and expressing it to Daughter without alienating her. Delicate, to say the least, but hopefully the family psychotherapy sessions will provide a safe conduit for that process.

Thanks, all.

gonzy
    Free Member

OP…the fact that your daughter recognises and has admitted to having a problem probably indicates that she also possibly recognises the impact it has had on you to a certain degree and how you feel towards her.
    i agree that she should be aware of how she has upset and disappointed you both etc…i dont think now is the time to bring that up…also hearing it from you directly of how her actions have angered you or disappointed you might not be good for her especially if she is still feeling vulnerable. hopefully the counselling sessions will enable her to understand the consequences of her actions or the counsellor could gently point it out to her

these are the 3 stages you should be prioritising right now

what is the problem – kleptomania
    why is it occurring – this you need to find out
    how can it be stopped/resolved – only when the why has been answered

wwaswas

I think this will be one of the times when you look back on your life when you think ‘I made the right choice, did the right thing’. Well done.

bodgy
    Free Member

@gonzy

Yes, quite right. It’s going to be quite intense, as there’s a whole portfolio of issues that need to be addressed (Suicide bid and continuing feelings, diabetes, parental separation is still lurking in there, her mother’s emotional manipulation etc,) but yes, therapy and counselling is the way forward. 🙂

I_did_dab
    Free Member

well done, you definitely did the right thing. I’m sure there’s a lot of hard work to go to sort this out. You need to deal with your disappointment, but always remember that your daughter is ill. I’m not sure that telling her how you’re feeling at this stage will help.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

A little update.
    We opted against the cctv route, on consideration, for many of the reasons outlined here and because we just didn’t really want to live in that sort of a home. However the suspicion has been slowly gnawing at us, compounded when I think I caught my daughter trying to shoplift on a family outing. A few other things have been noticed as absent (one of my wife’s dresses, etc.)
    I’ve also, in the interim, been around every single cash converter type pawn shop, market trader, jewellers etc. in the region with details of the jewellery that was missing, trying to make it too hot to touch. Nothing came of that.
    So, day before yesterday during a conversation with Ex/daughter’s mother, i asked if she seemed to be being a bit ‘flash with the cash’, possibly beyond her means. Yes, she has. I told Ex about the missing items, whereby she said she would look for them in daughter’s room.
    I took daughter out to talk about the counselling that I had already booked regarding some of her other issues, and received a photo text from Ex saying “is this the box?”.
    Yes.
    Dog walk complete I take her to a cafe, and calmly confront her with the evidence.
    Flat denial.
    “Really? Your mother has just found this in your room. It’s got the jewellers address on the inside of the box.”
    Denial.
    Skip a bit, she confesses.
    Subsequent conversation, she admits that she doesn’t know why she took them, despite my alerting her to the financial and sentimental value, and having given her opportunities to return the jewellery, with subtle hints, like “I hope they’ll just turn up, we’ve probably just misplaced them.”
    She admitted to being a kleptomaniac, and that she wanted to return them but couldn’t. She revealed that she is having suicidal thoughts again, and that she just doesn’t want to be here. Just wanted everything to go back to how it was before 2012 (T1 diabetes diagnosis).
    After suitable reassurances and that despite the proof of the crime, we still loved her, wanted her in our home (terms and conditions apply) and would do everything that we could to support her, including paying for private counselling, I drove her to her other home, whereby she retrieved and returned the earrings.
    Since then, I’ve discussed the situation with at least two child counsellors and arranged family psychotherapeutic counselling, informed her school of events, informed her doctor and am due to discuss reengaging Cams (Child mental heath team) and whether she ought to be sectioned. I have informed the insurance company and repaid the monies, and notified key family members. Obviously I have discussed this with my wife and my ex, although the ex is reluctant for daughter to engage in any counselling that involves my wife and I.
    I’ve not pressed charges or notified the police . . . yet.
    Any thoughts?
    Cheers, M

You are a **** superb father.

My thoughts:

She has self-diagnosed as a Kleptomaniac. Hide your valuables in the same way you’d hide the booze if an alcoholic came round.

CAMHS is very, very underfunded at the moment. You may have to put your hand in your pocket if you want timely, effective help for your daughter.

Good luck. You’re doing all the right things IMO.

jamj1974

Sounds like you handled a difficult situation very well. I held back from commenting on this thread before as frankly I had nothing that I thought would be helpful.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Wow, nice bloke!

I’d agree with not pressing charges, a criminal record at this early stage wouldn’t be a wise thing to carry for the rest of her life, certainly when she’s starting out.. after that, she’s left, well it’s her choice which way she goes..

As for not rigging the CCTV, well done. It wasn’t needed and you knew that.

Hope all goes well over the next 6months, now is the time to put a lot of effort rebuilding trust.. you are in a great place to start.

matt_outandabout

I wish my parenting was as thoughtful and balanced as yours.
    Best wishes for your daughter.

alexxx
    Free Member

Great Dad

MoreCashThanDash

Great to hear how this is playing out. Well done

Cougar

I’d agree with not pressing charges

It’s a bit bizarre that any parent would entertain the idea even, given the story here. Taking that route would achieve nothing and almost certainly drive a massive wedge between the family. The only rationale for pressing charges would be if you wanted or expected never to see her again.

Good work fella, well played.

outofbreath
    Free Member

“It’s a bit bizarre that any parent would entertain the idea even, given the story here.”

My Great-Great Grandfather shopped his son over earings stolen from him by his son in the mid C19th. The son got 12 months hard labour.

History hasn’t recorded the detail so I’m assuming both did what they thought was best at the time ‘cos my ancestors can do no wrong AFAIC.

oink1
    Free Member

@bodgy – Been type1 for 44 years now. Boy am I starting to pay the price of sometimes less than stellar control. I feel for her. I know how it made me feel amongst my peers as a teenager. I don’t want to bang on but she has to get a handle on this or it will come back to bite her on the bum in later years. I now have end stage kidney failure and live at the hospital 3 afternoons a week for around 5 hours on dialysis. All the best to her & yourself.

weeksy

Brilliant OP, really happy you got them back and you seem to have handled things very very well.

bodgy
    Free Member

Okay, all; Question for the hive-mind:

As per this thread, we know that Daughter
    – is a compulsive liar
    – a self confessed kleptomaniac
    – attempted suicide a couple of months ago
    – is not engaging with CAMHS (missed two appointments as it turns out, and is lying about that to her mother)
    – is refusing to attend/engage with the counselling that I have arranged privately

and given that we have serious trust issues within my household, should I deny her access to my home until she has shown a willingness to engage with the counselling / CAMHS? I am aware that it is giving out a very mixed message to say that ‘we want to help, support and nurture her . . . but terms and conditions apply’.

Confused about this. Any thoughts?

Cheers all, M.

senorj

Brilliant dad +1.
    I was a shit for a while when young ( after a divorce too) I stole money & shoplifted .
    I wish you had been there to deal with me.
    Bravo.

outofbreath
    Free Member

should I deny her access to my home until she has shown a willingness to engage with the counselling / CAMHS?

Deffo not, she’s your daughter, she should be welcome in your home. Might be politically difficult with the new wife though.

bodgy
    Free Member

Might be politically difficult with the new wife though.

Thanks, I get it, but can I just put something straight?

‘New Wife’ is my most trusted companion and soul-mate, who has been nothing but the the most exemplary step-mother that I could imagine; kind, considered, emotionally warm and generous, supportive, engaging, and providing. Consistently considered during this trauma, prepared to put her own emotional grievances aside, for the greater good.

I obviously respect that there are issues regarding ‘role’, but ‘I’, ‘we’ and ‘she’ want the best outcome for my daughter, and our familial relationships. Including the relationship between my Daughter and her half-brother.

Just saying.

Cheers, M.

outofbreath
    Free Member

‘New Wife’ is my most trusted companion and soul-mate, who has been nothing but the the most exemplary step-mother that I could imagine; kind, considered, emotionally warm and generous, supportive, engaging, and providing. Consistently considered during this trauma, prepared to put her own emotional grievances aside, for the greater good.

I obviously respect that there are issues regarding ‘role’, but ‘I’, ‘we’ and ‘she’ want the best outcome for my daughter, and our familial relationships. Including the relationship between my Daughter and her half-brother.

Great!

bodgy
    Free Member

@senor j – Yup, I was a complete [git], parents separated and I went off the rails. What goes around comes around . . . or can we learn?

As long we ‘think’ . . . we become better. Not necessarily less tortured, but better, as a person, through conscientious consideration. I guess that’s the Angst of existence?

bodgy
    Free Member

@ outofbreath

🙂

bodgy
    Free Member

Final update.

Not as happy an outcome as I would wish. She has resumed her counselling with CAMHS – which I am glad about – and I am in touch with them to monitor her attendance.

She has however told me to desist from any contact with her (phone, text, everything) citing that she has to work this out on her own.

Leaves me feeling sad; I don’t think she knows the damage that she has done. My wife and I are left feeling like the sanctity of our home and family life has been violated, without any comeback or consequence for Daughter. Not even a conversation.

I very much doubt that she feels any remorse, let alone any inclination to attempt to reconcile the situation.

I’ve pretty much done everything in my power to address her actions and the consequences, so that’s it really. Not a lot left to do but withdraw and look after the concerns of my wife and 4 yr old boy.

But I hope she comes to terms with herself and wants to be a part of our family again. At some point.

Thanks for all the advice.

Coyote
    Free Member

Heart broken for you. Losing contact with my children is something that fills me with dread. Fingers crossed that you will get a better result in the longer term.

4130s0ul
    Free Member

Bodgy, the main thing is she is taking control of things. your baby girl is growing up and taking this on for herself.
    it will leave you feeling helpless and out of control but as long as you monitor the attendance and keep reminding yourself that you have done and are doing the right thing there is not much else you can do now other than be there whenever she needs you.
    you don’t have to withdraw, you just focus on those around you for a while but keep one eye on your girl. it will mean you can relax about the home security issues, it will mean you can maybe build those bridges with your ex while things are a little calmer.
    in time your daughter will sort herself out and know that she is welcome and able to come back to you. it may be a month or it may be years but she will always be your daughter and your baby.
    good luck with whatever comes next, and remember if you feel the need to vent there is always a helping hand here for you

doris5000

in time your daughter will sort herself out and know that she is welcome and able to come back to you. it may be a month or it may be years but she will always be your daughter and your baby.

all good points there from 4130 but this ^^ is particularly spot on IMO.

Being a teenager is crap and intense and emotional and she may well reconsider in a day or a month or a year. But as long as she knows the door is open (figuratively!) for if/when she wants to reconnect, that’s really important.

scud
    Free Member

Been interesting reading this Bodgy.

My daughter just turned 7 at the weekend and was diagnosed Type 1 2 years ago, we already see her mood swing terribly when she has growth spurts and her hormones are all over the place (insulin being a hormone for those that don’t about T1), i often ask myself what her teenage years are going to be like and her hormones really are raging.

I think you’ve handled it brilliantly mate.

I would second some comments above though about looking at an insulin pump, it gives far greater control than injections, plus the handset gives a record of what your blood glucose/ insulin given etc has been, you can plug the handset in to laptop too for full record of what your readings have been over the last months.

The main thing though is that the insulin pump allows different base settings for different times of the day. So on injections, you’ll have the slow acting Levemir twice a day as a “base” before the fast acting insulin when you eat. With the insulin pump there is only one type of insulin and it can give her different “base” amounts for different times.

Plus if you eat a food such as a pizza, where there is a lot of carbs, but the carb being absorbed is slowed down by the high fat and protein content, instead of giving yourself a single injection for all the grams of carbs you are having in the pizza in one go, you can “stretch” the dose, so it gives the dose to her over a period of time you set (not the best at explaining things sorry)

But overall, the insulin pump allows far greater control than injections. My daughter has one called an Omnipod, which is about the size of one half of the plastic things from a Kinder Egg on her. It also means that she only has to fit a new pump every 3 days instead of injecting herself 8-10 times a day and the issues multiple injection sites can cause.

bodgy
    Free Member

Thanks scud, I’ll look into those – sounds like it might be a good thing for her.

And cheers, doris, Coyote & 4130s0ul.

The doors are open. There might have to be a bit of negotiating with the bouncer, but definitely open.

bodgy
    Free Member

Apologies for re-opening an old wound / thread.

Well, literally five months later she texts me, saying that I “should grow up”. That “it wouldn’t hurt you to act like an adult for once in your life”. “It’s not my fault you are acting like a spastic.” “You can take your life and piss off.”

>massive sigh<

TBH, (it’s a hard thing to say of one’s child) she has stifled the love that I had for her. I don’t love her or want her in my home or heart any more.

Slightly in bits and spinning. Slightly.

batfink
    Free Member

As a representative of the STW night shift….. thought I’d chime in with my 2c in case you are still awake

Really, really sorry to hear about this latest development.

HOWEVER, it sounded like you were being kept at arms-length anyway? So surely this is more in indication of the particular stage of the process that she’s going through – rather than anything you’ve done?

If it is, it might need you to just let it play-out. She will (in time) see that you are/were acting in her best interests….. I guess the only question is how long that takes.

IMO, communication with your Ex is absolutely critical here – she (your ex) will hopefully recognize that a healthy relationship with you is in her best interest – and (even if she’s not up-for actively trying to soften your daughter’s view of you) she might see that she should not be encouraging her to distance herself further.

jonnyboi

It ‘could’ be that she cut you off as her way of punishing you, with the expectation that you would try and get back in contact with her and therefore she would be in a position of power.

That you have agreed to her wishes and stayed out of contact has ruined her plan and she’s cracked and texted you to let out her frustration and also initiate contact so you reply.

Jakester
    Free Member

If this is completely out of the blue contact, could it be an oblique cry for help? In that she cannot accept your help openly, but by trying to engage with you (even if by way of abuse) she is trying to reestablish the parent/child relationship again?

wwaswas

If it were me I’d not respond, however hard that felt to do. Replying to abuse and trying to appease her just reinforces her behaviour.

Also, ‘rewarding’ her abuse by engaging with it just sets the tone for any future communication and relationship you might have.

Literally ignore her until she approaches you in a way that’s not abusive.

outofbreath
    Free Member

“If this is completely out of the blue contact, could it be an oblique cry for help? In that she cannot accept your help openly, but by trying to engage with you (even if by way of abuse) she is trying to reestablish the parent/child relationship again?”

Gotta be this. She wants contact with her Dad. Not sure how best to respond, mind you.

Where’s a child psychologist when you need one!

deepreddave
    Free Member

Doesn’t sound like a particularly rational or thought out communication so possibly sent whilst in some emotional turmoil or similar?
    As a divorced parent, the comms between the parents is key and both ought to be advocating the involvement of the other as vital assuming all is fairly normal. This is where IME a lot of separated parents fail to put the child’s interests first over their own desire to punish their ex or use influence/access as a weapon.
    It’s almost impossible for one parent to be significantly stricter than the other without it being detrimental to their relationship or reducing the time they spend with their kids especially as they get older and the other parent fails to support the stricter one.
    You seem to have faced into the issues so well done you, tough love is really hard to give, I’ve failed on occasions looking back, and your ex should recognise your strength in this regard and support you.
    I really hope she matures enough to see how you tried to do the best for her whilst so hard for you but know that is what you have done. Parenting is hard sometimes, separate houses really adds to some aspects of that. Good luck.

ctk
    Free Member

She wants you back in her life but she doesn’t want to lose face. You could ignore her or you could try something like:

“If you want to meetI am free on… just text and we can arrange a meeting”

I agree with above that you don’t want to reward this bad behaviour (the text) but she is clearly asking for attention/contact. Let her know that if she goes about it the right way then you’ll be there for her.

oldtimboiow
    Free Member

bodgy,
    As others have said , seems like a emotional outburst (via text) rather than any considered communication, might also be a way of getting you to respond in the hope of getting back to some communication as she’s backed herself into a corner and doesn’t know how to get out of it? Hand in there , you seem to be doing the right things and I’m sure, as things settle and she matures she’ll want to be part of the family (and without the previous stress and heartache) and all will be well. Keep us in touch as forums are a good form of counselling 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 212 total)

The topic ‘Child stealing from home and covert CCTV / spy gadgets – any tips?’ is closed to new replies.