Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Child Seats
  • Rickos
    Free Member

Any advice on child seats? We're looking at getting one for our 8 month old boy and from what little research I've done these ones from Hamax look good as it seems the attachment arms then offer some boingyness over the bumps and potholes.

Any others to consider or anything to specifically look for in terms of easy to attach, etc?

Cheers

andywarner
    Free Member

i know a guy with one of those that are like a trailer and clamp to your seatpost. they have seat belts and rollbars as well. he takes his kids round all the yorkshire beer festivals with it. my gf won't let me have one for my 1 year old daughter as she thinks i do enough damage to myself without being responsible for a minor too! 🙁

nuke

We had a Hamax seat: thought it was fantastic and the kids liked the softer bouncy ride…use to send them to sleep in minutes. Not for everyone as bikes vary and the clamp may not fit so worth checking first (short seat tubes may result in seat being to close to tyre, braze ons and water bottle bosses not allowing the clamp to be fitted). I liked the fact the seat could be so easily removed so I didn't have to take the it on my daily commute.

druidh
    Free Member

We do quite a lot of the Hamax in the shop. Pretty light and folk like the bounciness. Comments above regarding fit are worth taking on board. I wouldn't want to fit one to a thin alloy frame either.

We also do the Co-pilots which are a step up in quality (and cost). There's no suspension on these as they fit direct to a rack, but there's some padding (more in the Limo, which also has a recline position). AS they're rack mounted, it can be easier to get it to fit and less possible to damage the frame.

Let me know (over there?) if you're interested…

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Got an Adventure CF1 on my bike:

Works fine, although it is a bit of sod to pedal – had to drop the saddle and its knees out.

Dead quick to fit and remove (leave the bracket on) and is sturdy enough. Bracket is clamped to the downtube and the seat is held on the top tube too.

fadda

I have one of these:

http://www.polisport.com/catalogo_noticias2_en.php?ID=66

which my (now) 3 year old used to love. Has his own bike now, so it just takes up space and makes me smile when i see it and think of rides in the Forest of Dean…

Nagasaki
    Free Member

I have one of these that I was about to put on ebay:

Click the picture for more details.

It's in excellent condition, includes a Blackburn rack for mounting to any bike with the frame bosses. Only difference from pic is that the padding is black not yellow.

Need to sus out postage costs but I'm sure we could come to some agreement. If interested, email kennyDOTdicksonATo2DOTcoDOTuk

Spud

We have a Hamax, you can get different brackets for different sized bikes and it allows for more comfort when going over rough ground.

carlosg
    Free Member

We've got a Weeride that we're also about to put on ebay , similar to the adventure cf1. Personally I think this design is a much better idea than having your pride and joy bouncing about over the back wheel with a wonderful view of your bum , it's much easier to interact with your kids and they get a great view.
    pictured on my P7 on the left when we did the camel trail in Cornwall last year.

FoxyChick
    Free Member

We had a Hamax.
    Great child seat.
    Just be ready for when the sprogadoody falls asleep and flops from side to side!
    Kids heads are surprisingly heavy! 8)

stuey
    Free Member

2nd Weeride -because they might do what FC said.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Hamax here, with a small-frame mounting bar – only a tenner from LBS. My daughter hates bouncing off the rear tyre so I fix it onto the seatpost. When we had a big slide/crash recently, nothing went wrong. Only my shorts needed a good wash (she shouted "Fun, Daddy, fun!"). Highly recommended.

eddie11
    Free Member

ah mr bandito, good to put a (forum) name to a face. 🙂

from eddie up the road.

Nagasaki
    Free Member

Both ours used to fall asleep in the Co-pilot Limo. The sides wrap around so they would rest their heads on there

No complaints about comfort

druidh
    Free Member

Sorry but the Weerides & Adventures CF1s leave me in a cold sweat. There might be no logic to it, but I've always feared what would happen if there was an accident and the adult slipped forward/over the bars. Baby chest / bar stem interface issue?

Nagasaki
    Free Member

Not to mention the fly swallowing issues 😉 Kids tend to be like dogs sticking their heads out car windows – mouth always wide open.

carlosg
    Free Member

With the Weeride that can't happen as there's a guard tower in front of the child that also keeps mud/splashes away from their faces (check my picture).
    Also I wouldn't personally ride in such a way that I would be likely to have an accident with my child on board , some might risk it , not me.

I'd worry more with a rear child seat wheelying up a hill and landing on them as the bike went backwards , I think a central seat is more balanced.

Nagasaki
    Free Member

Don't they try messin' with yer brakes and gears? I know mine would

carlosg
    Free Member

It's a bit of a stretch when the harness is holding them in the back of the seat , Luke could only just reach at 3 1/2.

druidh
    Free Member

carlosg – Member

With the Weeride that can't happen as there's a guard tower in front of the child that also keeps mud/splashes away from their faces (check my picture).

Ah – so it IS a potential issue with the CF1 then and I'm not just being paranoid.

Also I wouldn't personally ride in such a way that I would be likely to have an accident with my child on board ,

So you do ride in a such a way as you might have an accident when you ride solo?

I'd worry more with a rear child seat wheelying up a hill and landing on them as the bike went backwards

And you obviously have an even more vivid imagination than I do 🙂

carlosg
    Free Member

LOL , it's almost inevitable that I'm going to have an accident when I ride solo such is my bike handling prowess 😆

Having toured with only rear panniers I'm only too aware of how light the front end is when the rear is weighted.

Nagasaki
    Free Member

To be fair, there's not much chance any kiddie in the back seat is going to be heavy enough to heave my front wheel off the ground 😉 – maybe the wee fat guy out of The Goonies but kids that size should be pedalling their own bikes

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Child Seats’ is closed to new replies.