Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Child seat or trailer or….? For a 2.5 year old.
  • zeesaffa
    Free Member

Hi,

Looking to get one of the above for my little lad. Cant see us attempting any gnarly descents – so fireroads / trail centre greens will be as extreme as we get

antigee

depends a bit on the kid – oldest loved being in trailer and just went to sleep or played – youngest much preferred child seat and stayed awake – parental preference trailer – easy to get kid in and out, sheltered and can deal with stuff along the way (i stopped to hold a guy’s bike the other day when his other kid not in the seat had fallen off his bike – if there is no were safe to lean the bike its a problem on your own) trailers can be a pain with some barriers (planks of wood for the wooden box type) or sometimes get kid out and lift thru tight turns – once they start riding can strap a bike on back of trailer so they can have a go for a bit but you get some riding in later

edit don’t under estimate how much a kid gets thrown round in a trailer though – rocky and roots are no go stuff

cynic-al
    Free Member

22kg limit for mist child seats

growinglad
    Free Member

Trailer, but go for a second hand one if you can, there’s not much that can go wrong with them and the kids soon grow out of them. Also handy for popping to the shops, I actually kept our one as it’s reet handy for taking bottles down to the bottle bank, or doing jobs where I can use the bike, but have a bit to carry.

Tag along’s are great, but you have to watch it on longer rides, our daughter nearly fell asleep on the back once.

benp1

My kids are 13 months apart, so we never really experienced just 1 kid and a bike

I’ve had a trailer for a while now and think it’s an excellent bit of kit

Although the bike in the pic below is new. I’ve bought a rack for it for practical reasons, but I’ve also bought a child seat for it so I can take one kid out when I fancy it, rather than having to take the trailer

I haven’t use the child seat yet, but can’t recommend a trailer highly enough. When the weather is a bit pants they can still get it. I’ve put carpet down inside and use a blanket, when you lift the flap to take them out the heat in there is immediately obvious

I do need to figure out a way to stand the bike up when I’m in the middle of nowhere though. So far is strap the brake lever and lean against a tree

nemesis
    Free Member

I much prefer riding with a trailer than with a child seat – The handling with the seat on is horrible, especially as they get bigger. And if you’re tall/have big feet you may well have clearance issues like I found where your heels catch the seat or worse, your child’s feet.

I have this one – Halfords own brand, £85 and does the job really well.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/accessories/child-bike-seats-trailers/halfords-single-buggy-child-bike-trailer

Regarding the post above, no problem lying the bike down on its side while the trailer is still connected.

ransos
    Free Member

Trailer:

crankboy
    Free Member

we have had the Himax child seat it was fine for runs to the shops and nursery , as the boy got bigger and heavier the handling went to pot also he would tend to swing around shifting weight as things caught his attention . I would thoroughly recommend it for light children over 12 months but be aware that it compromises handling as weight goes up and also becomes a task to hold up when dismounting and mounting if you cant safely lean it against something . I stepped over the bar then turned to face back and stepped over again to hold the bike with my legs while unpluging the boy and lifting him out.

should our neighbours not want it it and two seat tube mounts are up for gifting on a collection basis in leeds.

zeesaffa
    Free Member

Thanks for the good advice all!!

I think it’ll be a trailer then 🙂

ourmaninthenorth, that trailer looks good but ideally we’d like to spend a bit less than that. The Halfords one looks like it’ll do what we need.

Thanks again!

ourmaninthenorth

@zeesaffa – no worries. Thanks for reminding me to re-advertise it!

Someone else is interested, but if it falls through I’m happy to consider an offer.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Child seat or trailer or….? For a 2.5 year old.’ is closed to new replies.