Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Child Seat: Easy on/off – Is there such a thing?
  • albino
    Free Member

I don’t know if it exists but I’d like to find some kind of safe child seat that can be easily removed and that doesn’t leave some kind of mount attached to the bike itself.
    I’ve currently got a “Wee rid”e attached to an old hardtail for cruising around with the kids, but it requires a permanent bar to be affixed to the frame. I’d like to start commuting on my decent hardtail, with the idea that I could stop off at Nursery with my little girl and quickly detach the entire seat – leaving me free to use a more “exciting” route to work and back.
    Does such a thing exist?

m0rk
    Free Member

I have the Copilot Limo

It removes in seconds – but all you’re left with is a blackburn rack (if you’re commuting you might want this?)

glupton1976
    Free Member

The Hamax bracket that stays on the bike doesnt get in the way.

labsey
    Free Member

Don’t think so. I know Topeak do one that clips to your rack but still leaves a rack. The rest tend to leave mounts on the seatpost.

Could try bmx pegs… 😀

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Bobike Mini. Leaves a small mount, but no issue.

albino
    Free Member

THanks all – Some good ideas to look into there, even the mounts that are still attached seem a lot less cumbersome than the Wee Ride’s heavy duty steel bar. I think the Bobike looks like it could tick all boxes though.
    Thanks again
    Al
    PS – Saving the stunt pegs until she starts school! 😉

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

FWIW, we rode (very gently – wheels on the ground all the way) Make or Brake and Caddon Bank with the Bobike on Sunday. Had to walk a couple of the really rocky bits on CB, but my 20 month-old wee boy was giggling away like a maniac…

munrobiker
    Free Member

Hamax leaves a small box on the seat tube- very neat.

garage-dweller

Topeak seats also rack based. Upper weight limit just about to be reached on ours….just as well as no.2 is almost big enough to sit in it now. Rack isn’t intrusive in normal riding on my 456 just an arse to get the bike sideways in the boot – so it goes on the roof instead or rack comes off for big rides. Less than five minutes with an Allen key.

diplomatt
    Free Member

Never bothered with child seats – always used a Macpac papoose for my two kids – for the nursery run or singletrack fun. I’ve always thought it a safer option – only need to worry about where I am and the bike can be ditched if needs be.

bigG
    Free Member

I use an iBert to carry our little princess, leaves a small bar level with the top tube when the seat is removed. I’ve certainly not noticed it getting in the way, and it takes literally seconds to remove if I do want to.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

FWIW, I keep my WeeRide bar attached to my hardtail all the time, doesn’t stop “enthusiastic” riding 😉

albino
    Free Member

THanks again for even more ideas – I think a trip to Halfords/Mothercare might be in order to suss out some of the more common options. That Hamax may be the most unobtusive.

Baldysquirt

A papoose whilst riding – sounds like an interesting combination!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Child Seat: Easy on/off – Is there such a thing?’ is closed to new replies.