Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Child friendly riding in France?
  • cartwheels

Hi
    Looking for good riding areas in France,
    Not on road,flatish tracks and disused railways would
    be good.
    Any recommendations would be appreciated
    I have one child at 9 years and the other at 17 with similar ability
    to the 9 year old!

ransos
    Free Member

Ile de Re: the island is covered in cycle paths and quiet lanes, plus it’s completely flat. The Vendee is also good. My experience of Voies vertes is mixed – some are very good but there are some appallingly rough and narrow tracks that really shouldn’t be classed as cycle paths.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

anywhere near Arcachon. pan flat and separate cycle lanes that go literally hundreds of KM’s

EDIT: and by separate I mean circa 50 metres parallel to the main road with their own lane markings, not just some blue paint in the gutter

igm

Decent track down Lake Annecy – good way of getting about.

padkinson
    Free Member

anywhere near Arcachon. pan flat and separate cycle lanes that go literally hundreds of KM’s

This.

Although some people do get annoyed if you use the road rather than the cycle path, and I lack the French vocabulary to explain to an angry man in a citroen why the bike path is not the place to do intervals at >20mph.

It’s a brilliant place though, and if you do, don’t miss the Dune du Pyla.

atlaz
    Free Member

The Vendee is also good

I ride there a few times a year as my parents spend at least half the year there. To be totally honest half the roads are shit and whilst the drivers are courteous for the most part I can’t say I love riding around there as a combo of loads of tourists and impatient locals can make for an interesting time. That said, there are enough gravel/rock/mud cycle paths that if you went for a slow cruising sort of riding rather than looking for smooth segregated cycle paths you’ll be pretty happy.

I’d go to the Ile de Re or one of the other islands though over staying in Vendee for the riding.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

don’t miss the Dune du Pyla.

My wife wanted to go there and I thought eh? Drive and queue and walk just to see a flippin’ sand dune?

But when I got there I was totally blown away by it. Freakin’ mad!

padkinson
    Free Member

I practically had to drag my mates out to cycle there, but everyone ended up loving it. The only downside was the amount of sand in every orifice after a few rounds of racing down the dune.

bob_summers

My wean’s too young yet but I’m looking forward to the forest tracks in Landes and bassin d’arcachon, or canal du midi towpaths.
    If you end up on our side of the border (Pais Vasco) there are plenty of traffic free routes around San Sebastian.

nemesis
    Free Member

The south west Atlantic coast is mostly wooded and flat as it’s reclaimed land. West of Bordeaux basically. Had a great time there with the kids.

atlaz
    Free Member

bob_summers – I’ve heard good things about San Sebastian. My cousin lives not that far away and was considering popping over the border in summer for a quick poke around. Worth it?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Child friendly riding in France?’ is closed to new replies.