Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Child carrying backpacks (holiday content)
  • RS4KEV

Question for the collective

Looking at holiday next spring when little one will be about 16 months. Not a beach holiday so thinking about one of these rucksack type child carriers. Question is are they any good and any particular recommendations ?

GaryLake
    Free Member

Thinking of one myself but first one isn’t due for 3 weeks yet.

They seem to go for pocket money on ebay almost unused so look there. I think they’re the sort of thing a lot of people think they want but end up not using.

Tenuous
    Free Member

We’ve got a Bush Baby one, it’s been very handy and is comfortable enough for the little one to fall asleep inside. We’ve done some fairly decent hikes, days out in places where you wouldn’t want to take a pushchair and wife has even taken him out running in it while training for a half marathon.

Main benefit is that they aren’t stuck out alone facing away from you like in a pram, and instead have plenty of time to interact with you (pulling hair, ears etc :p)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wombat

I used one with both of our offspring and they’re brilliant, check they fit your back properly, put a fair bit of weight in them in the shop, it’s amazing how heavy a 1 yr old can be and how shonky some of the cheap carriers are.

We had a Karrimor one IIRC and it was great, rucksack comfort & it had a compartment under the seat bit that was big enough for 2 or 3 fleeces & a snack

kerv
    Free Member

We’ve got a ‘Little Life’ back pack and it’s great,took the littlun all the way up Snowdon in it no problem.

Shandy
    Free Member

We’ve a MacPac, comfiest backpack I’ve ever had and well thought out with the rain cover, sunshade etc. Walking poles are handy on rough ground or long climbs/descents.

robob
    Free Member

deuter kid comfort 11 here, tried a few and this one fitted straight off. really good for getting places buggies can’t go. don’t really feel the weight if your half used to a pack.

as shandy says poles are nice for the descents, as with any pack.

also really handy for manouvres style shopping raids in the crazy days before christmas 😀

DickBarton

We have a Bush Baby papoose thing and it was superb…then ‘upgraded’ to a Little Life Venture (the top-end one as the wife is picky!) – that has also been very good – personally I think they are overpriced BUT it’s been well used and lasted very well so I guess you get what you pay for…it was expensive and I’d still consider why it was being bought even now if we had to do it again…but it’s been very good – doesn’t feel heavy or cumbersome when wearing it…lots of space for other kit and bits and pieces and the passenger seems to be comfy enough in it (most occasions she slept through all the activity)…

They are good but pricey (is what I’m trying to say I think).

fadda

We used a little life explorer – ended up using it more than the pram.

It’s for sale, actually…

RS4KEV

Fadda, you got any links and a price for that then?

Tinners

They are superb. Best thing we ever bought for our kids and used it loads. Like Fadda, we used ours more than the pram (mainly because our lifestyle is such, we spent a lot of time walking on beaches and mountains where prams aren’t suitable). It’s also better at negotiating crowded departments stores instead of taking the pram or pushchair. I suppose like everything else, it’s worth getting a good one if you can. We had a Jack Wolfskin Watchtower and it was really good. I could carry ours all day long in it and it worked as a makeshift highchair if we stopped to eat. I’ve heard that cheap ones can hurt across the shoulders after a while.

Tinners

PS we paid <£100 for ours, but that was a few years ago. They last forever and are very well made, so you’ll probably find loads for sale second hand.

Garry_Lager

Deuter kid comfort II here – it’s great, but I think there’s too much to choose between the leading brands from trying them on. Our lad is now 2 and a bit and getting seriously heavy on the hikes.

Remember if you’re going out with it at this time of year to wrap the bairn up warm! (not to be patronising or anything, I’m sure most people know this). You’re working hard hiking with a heavy load but they’re just sitting there not moving. They can get really cold if they’re not properly dressed.

igm

Ours was and is excellent – in storage at the moment but will get broken out again next year. Excellent in the Alps in winter with the rain cover giving him his own micro climate, great around town on Saturday afternoons, and most things inbetween. I preferred it to a pushchair 95%+ of the time.

I think most of the good brand have had a mention already – but do try them for size same way you would a long distance walking pack. You’re going to put a fair amount of weight up there for a fair amount of time – the hip belt has to fit you (ie not your mate or the man trying to sell you it), as does the back length and to some extent shoulder width.

Don’t skimp – paying £80 for one that ain’t right is a poor investment if the £100 one fits better, ‘cos it’ll get used more. That said if the ebay bargin works out, I’d have no problem buying a secondhand one.

molgrips
    Free Member

Macpac FTW. Because of the excellent and adjustable back system.

I carried our sturdy young lady and a load of crap (picnic etc) in it on walks at 10,000ft and whilst the pack was so heavy I could only just lift it onto my back on my own, I had absolutely no trouble carrying it once on. No shoulder or hip pain – top stuff.

Oh yeah but do remember to really wrap them up loads warmer than you will be yourself – you’re walking around, they are sitting still freezing their lil arms and legs off. Really bundle them up, esp if small.

Wouldn’t use it in town though, as it becomes hard to negotiate crowds whilst avoid turning round and smacking other people with it or knocking stuff off shelves etc. Front sling for that, or shoulders.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

had a vaude jolly comfort – couldn’t get comfy with it. sold and bought Littlelife – it’s ace!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Child carrying backpacks (holiday content)’ is closed to new replies.