Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • child car seatbelt laws
  • theotherjonv

O great hive mind.

I have a difference of opinions over the use of child booster seats in cars. My eldest is nearly 10 so she’s under the age related limit, but she’s over the height related limit of 135cm. I still put her in a booster seat but a friend insists that it is wrong to now she’s over the height limit. As I just looked up, the law says

Children aged 3 and above, until they reach EITHER their 12th birthday OR 135cm in height.

The child MUST use the correct child restraint (ie booster seat)

Now i’ve assumed that over 135cm you can still use a booster, but my mate insists that he’s been told that you shouldn’t, and the way the law is written it does seem to be right – the ROSPA website i’ve looked at doesn’t give it as an option, just says that above 135cm then adult belts must be worn

Children over 1.35 metres in height, or who are 12 or 13 years old

Children who are over 135cms in height, or who are 12 or 13 years old MUST use the adult seat belt

In the Front Seat: The adult seat belt MUST be worn if available.

In the Rear Seat: The adult seat belt MUST be worn if available.

Anyone know? Do boosters become less safe when the child is above height?

peabrain
    Free Member

IIRC the law was going to be up to 150cm tall to use a booster seat, but it was then decided that wasn’t practical.

So it isn’t the law for your daughter to use a booster seat, but you are not doing any harm as long as the seat belt is positioned correctly over her shoulder and her head isn’t too high above the top of the seat.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘child car seatbelt laws’ is closed to new replies.