Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Child bike seat for a full sus?
  • makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

We have two children; an almost 3 year old and a 4 1/2 month old.

We have a WeeRide which the eldest still fits in (and is safe in, according to the instructions) but he’s certainly getting a little big for it.

I have a Norco Fluid (pic below). Can anyone suggest a rear seat that should fit a full sus?

We live in Thailand but can bring something back with us when we’re next in the UK. Sadly, a bike trailer would be tricky to fly out although a perfect solution for our commuting needs.

Thanks

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

bump?

No one with a child seat on a FS?

jam-bo

I’m still waiting for my Mac-Ride to turn up.

http://www.mac-ride.com

mtbfix

The carriers I have paid attention to either use a rack for mounting or a bracket on the seat tube. Given your frame configuration neither of these options are likely to fit. Sounds like an excuse to go hardtail shopping!

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Is there a reason why it needs to be rear mounted? A Bobike would fit provided you have enough sare space on the steerer tube. I have one on the commuter and intend to use it off road in the summer, I know many others here are using it off road (that’s why I bought it).

mtbel
    Free Member

every bike trailer I’ve ever had has removable wheels and folds flat for storage/transportation.

What about a tag-a-long? My kids have all been fine on tag-a-longs from around 4 years old.

I’ve used wee-ride’s and rear mounted child seats and trailers or tag-a-longs together to transport 4 kids. Just a wee heads up, if you plan on using a wee ride AND a rear mounted seat together getting on and off the bike will be a nightmare.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I used to use a seat that clamped around the seatpost. It was on my giant trance and was the only way of fitting a seat to any of my bikes. It looked similar to the one on this link
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/hamax-smiley-rear-mounted-child-seat/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&kpid=5360444514&sku=5360444514&ci_src=18615224&ci_sku=5360444514uk&utm_source=google&utm_term&utm_campaign=All+Products&utm_medium=base&utm_content=sxtvaX6Ej_dm%7cpcrid%7c%7cpkw%7c%7cpmt%7c%7cprd%7c5360444514uk
    But that one clamps around the frame I think.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

I used to use a seat that clamped around the seatpost.

I’d be VERY wary of fitting any seat on the seatpost personally, it’s putting significant stress on the seatpost where it is not designed to take weight. The Hamax is designed to go on the seat tube rather than seatpost. Though the Hamax bracket might fit on the OP’s seat tube, but not sure if it will have clearance to the upper rocker under compression?

aracer
    Free Member

You’ll have the kids with you? Bike trailer = pushchair when flying. No problem at all presenting it that way when I last tried, and it doesn’t even count as part of your normal baggage allowance.

andysredmini
    Free Member

The one I used was designed for clamping on the seat post and was fine. No damage to be bike at all. The seat met its end when my daughter who had pretty much outgrown it wanted me to go off a jump and the steel tubes bent. She loved it though.

NZCol

I use an iBert on a Tallboy (offroad as well) and it works really well. You’d have to fiddle with your stack height to make it work but they are good seats.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

The one I used was designed for clamping on the seat post and was fine. No damage to be bike at all.

My point wasn’t so much that the seat wasn’t, but that the seatpost itself likely wasn’t designed to have 20kg hanging off it in that place. Going to be honest, if I can bend seatposts when I’m using them as designed, I don’t fancy hanging my kid off them in a kiddie seat.
    Nevertheless, if you remember what seat it is, I’d be curious to take a look.

tonyd

They’re hard to find but a LOCT would be a good bet. Mine both went on it once they’d outgrown the WeeRide, coupled with a trailerbike and you can really kill yourself on hills!

I’d sell you ours but a friend has it at the moment.

stabilizers

+1 for Hamax Smiley

fanatic278
    Free Member

I have this one – ordered from USA:

Bike seat

I use it with my 4 year old. I’m a bit bandy legged, so not good for long distances, but fine enough for a pootle along the bike path.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Thanks all.

I need the new one to be rear mounted as the WeeRide (a currently excellent solution) will soon be used for boy2. Boy1 still fits and we/he can hopefully last until the summer when we’re in the UK.

Flying a trailer out as a ‘buggy’ could be a great idea.

A tag along could too. Boy1’s three in mid march. I think an acquaintance of my wife has one for us to try out.

The LOCT looks good, but again, that’s only for one boy on a bike.

A hardtail would be nice……. 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Child bike seat for a full sus?’ is closed to new replies.