Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Child Benefit
  • bigblackshed

I know it’s a contentious issue but can anyone answer this please?

I’ve got 2 children, Boy1 is soon to be 16, but will be stopping in full time education, so Child Benefit will continue until he leaves or his 20th birthday if he’s still being a “bloody student”.

Boy2 is 11. If / when Boy1 doesn’t qualify does Boy2 then become the “first or only child” and then receive the higher amount? IE: £20 something V £13 something per week?

It was a question that came in conversation, followed by googling and the HMRC isn’t a lot of help. Interesting life I lead. 🙄

bigblackshed

And in the wrong forum. 😳

cookeaa

And in the wrong forum.

Not if your spending some/all the child benefit on cycling kit its not….
    Reduced household income will affect any N+1 aspirations surely…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ninfan
    Free Member

Yes! you go from 33 to 20 rather than 33 to 13

bigblackshed

Ninfan.

That’s what I mean’t but didn’t explain very well.

Now: Boy1 = £20 plus Boy2 = £13 =£33

After: Boy1 (make his own way in the world and stop treating this place like a hotel) = £0
    Boy2 = £20.

miketually
    Free Member

As I understand it, the “first child” is the eldest child currently eligible for Child Benefit, rather than your oldest child.

Sundayjumper

The only child benefit I’ve encountered is using them as an excuse to spend money on more bike stuff because cycling is a “family activity” 🙂

grtdkad

Don’t get any child benefit here. After the ****ing Tories decided “the poor” shouldn’t have to pay out for my kids. As if it doesn’t actually come out of my own eye watering PAYE salary deductions.

The sooner Cameron is gone the better.

ninfan
    Free Member

Ah, a higher rate taxpayer

I’m sure that everyones hearts will be pumping purple piss for you 😉

NewRetroTom

ninfan – not just a higher rate taxpayer (earning over £41,865) but grtdkad or his other half must be earning over £60k to get no child benefit (you lose it progressively between £50k and £60k).

The stupidity of the rule is that one couple with combined income of £60k can get no child benefit while another couple with combined income of £100k receive the full whack!

ninfan
    Free Member

60k?, must be terrible 😈

GEDA
    Free Member

Benefits should be universal otherwise the ones who pay for it start to complain. Whatever you think we need child and support those having children or you accept that nobodies going to be around to look after you/pay for you when you are old or accept that immigration is a mighty fine thing.

miketually
    Free Member

Benefits should be universal otherwise the ones who pay for it start to complain

All benefits are universal, provided you qualify for them. If you want child benefit but earn too much, ask for a pay cut.

darrenspink
    Free Member

First two children then zip all (same goes for Tax credits) – across the board, rich or poor. That would reduce the baby machines in this country. Along with helping with schools and NHS places it would save billions over time.

anagallis_arvensis

Not sure it would darrenspink.

grtdkad

What newretrotom said is correct:

The stupidity of the rule is that one couple with combined income of £60k can get no child benefit while another couple with combined income of £100k receive the full whack

…and the fact that the Tory press team were all over the media at the time with the “poor people shouldn’t be paying for child benefits of the well-off”, which is just a load of lies / bollocks whichever way you look at it.

ninfan
    Free Member

Look, I’m as right wing as they come on here, but lets just get this in proportion

60k puts you in the top 5% of earners in the country

Even a couple with a household income of 60k and two kids puts you in the top fifteen percent

Now, it may be unfair that you don’t get as much back as someone else, which is clearly tragic, but lets just be realistic here, you don’t need state hand outs.

grtdkad

IGMC. Just think the Tories are a bunch of ****s

allthepies
    Free Member

Earning over 60K and still wants child benefit ?

FFS

ninfan
    Free Member

Just think the Tories are a bunch of ****s

Someone on over 60k complaining about the Tories cutting their benefits

😆

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Child Benefit’ is closed to new replies.