Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Chickenkeepingtrackworld
  • LadyGresley
    Free Member

I’m sure there are other chuck-keepers on here 🙂
    We brought our girls home just over two weeks ago, two hybrids (Bella and Pickwick) and two Pekins (Lottie and Lily). The Little Girls (Pekins) are were laying and gave us an egg each the first afternoon. Since then, not an egg to be seen 🙁 We’re wondering when/if they’ll lay again. Pickwick and Bella were only 16 weeks old, so we know it’ll be a week or two or three yet before they give us breakfast.
    They are highly entertaining, so we can forgive them their egglessness 😀

alanl
    Free Member

The eggs take a day to be prepared, so the ones you had were from the previous day.
    I’d hazard a guess that they were a little stressed with the move, so will take a couple of weeks to settle down.
    Be aware that Pekins are not great layers – they have a short season.
    My hybrid hens start laying at around 5-6 months.

Smudger666

They will start to lay again – we have a similar experience every time we get a new chock.

Basically, the egg you got the day they were home was already in ‘production’. The trauma of the move/new surroundings/new chookmates will put them off the lay for a wee while but tey’ll eventually get back into the swing of things.

The youngsters could be a while depending on the breed (I’m not familiar with your breed).

We’ve got 9 chooks and right now we’re getting 7 eggs a day.

Edit: what Alan said!

JustAnotherLogin
    Free Member

We’ve got three and get 3 eggs most days. They are great to watch. Ours have been jumping up to reach blossom on a small fruit tree. Jumping chickens look very funny.

I’m currently engaged in guerrilla warfare with the local rat population so watch out for vermin.

mudshark
    Free Member

I got 3 new ISAs in March and they lay 3 eggs most days. One insists on sleeping outside despite me bringing it in each evening, now don’t bother.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Pickwick and Bella were only 16 weeks old, so we know it’ll be a week or two or three yet before they give us breakfast.

If you’re very lucky, as Alan said…. could be another month or two.

Sandwich

Make sure the garden/coop is fox proof. Next door lost their 4 last night, the 3 children under 6 and the mum are a bit distressed. Fox gained access to the garden via an old cat hole in the gate and broke through the chicken wire.

corroded
    Free Member

We’ve got five chooks – the three hybrids are very good layers but we also have two very silly chickens with pompoms on their heads. They aren’t so regular but on the plus side their eggs have blue shells. Anyway, your hens will resume laying but I’d imagine that the Pekins won’t be stellar layers. We’ve found that, out of the pure breeds, Marans are good.

alibongo001

I think the OP’s question has been universally answered – Not very STW to agree is it?

Anyway I have a few – 4 plus an enormous black orpington Cockerill.

They appear to be attracting rats again – any top tips for controlling them (the rats) my wife hated the rats but loves the chicks. I can’t say I am fond of the rats either.

mudshark
    Free Member

Make a bucket rat trap – lots on youtube. I made one and caught some young rats but not adults – gonna need a bigger bucket for them.

Esme
    Free Member

Sainsbury’s sell very nice Burford Browns, you know 😉

Mikeypies
    Free Member

For rats remove the food source get or make a trigger feeder as for fox’s invest in an electric energiser. Mole valley farmer one works well don’t bother with a poultry fence use chicken wire then run some horse tape around the outside its way more effective as it doesn’t shortnout so easy.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Ours have become lay-z. We had six and they used to give us 4-5 eggs a day but now we’re (c)lucky to get 2 a day. There’s been some crows around and I’m wondering if the crows are scaring them? I actually had to buy a dozen eggs yesterday which made me think “bloody typical”.

It has got a bit colder here so I’m wondering if the change in temps affects their laying ability until they get used to the cooler nights? (ISA’s)

WillH

We’ve got three Orpingtons, got them on New Year’s Eve at 8-ish weeks old. So in theory they should be about ready to start laying any time now. But, we’ve just moved them into a permanent coop and run, so they may be a bit stressed by the move.

They free-range all day and until recently always made their own way back to the coop to roost at dusk. All we had to do was go and close the door. In the last few weeks it’s started getting dark early and they have started roosting by the house (on top of our garden chairs which are stacked in a corner of the deck). I think it’s because it’s sheltered and well-lit by the inside lights. Bloody annoying though, as we had to go out every night and carry them back to their coop!

So, they’re now locked in the coop (with a big run) until they re-learn to roost in the coop. We’ll let them out after a week or so to see how they do.

mudshark
    Free Member

We had six and they used to give us 4-5 eggs a day but now we’re (c)lucky to get 2 a day

How old are they? I get rid of my ISAs at 2 years as don’t lay enough.

woffle
    Free Member

we’ve currently got; 1 x Polish cockerel named ‘Napoleon’. Evil, noisy little f*cker but tiny so ineffectual. 2 x huge Blue Orpingtons, 1 x Orpington/Welsummer Cross, 1 x Brahma, 1 x Light Sussex, 2 Orpington/Cochin bantams, 1 x araucana, 1 x araucana/leghorn cross and 1 x araucana/orp cross.

Currently getting 9 or 10 eggs a day, ranging from tiny white eggs from the bantams, to huge blue eggs from the Arachunas. Youngest is 16 months, oldest is 6+ years and still laying…

CaptainSlow

Slight high jack. I’d like to keep chickens but first off want to understand whether it’s better to keep them close to the house (and battle rats) or far from the house and battle foxes?

If I were to dig the wire in 12″ and wire the top, what are the chances of a fox making it into the run? Inside the run would be their coop which I would shut them in to at night.

Foxes pass through my garden multiple times a day 🙁

Also; and this is on the off chance, but would rabbits and chickens co exist peacefully if I made one huge run?

alanl
    Free Member

Rats have never been a problem here.
    I’ve had occasional mice, but I think that is due to the woman over the back with her multiple bird feeders that drop seed all over her garden.
    Chickens and rabbits, no problem.
    Foxes, you will have a problem.
    Maybe time to get a gun, as they will kill your chickens at some time.
    I used to think if they were locked up well enough, it’d keep the fox out, until one fox chewed through a wooden shed door to get at the birds.
    I then bought a trap, and went on a killing spree over 18 months, and have had little problem – one bird has disappeared since.

ransos
    Free Member

If I were to dig the wire in 12″ and wire the top, what are the chances of a fox making it into the run? Inside the run would be their coop which I would shut them in to at night.

Depends how soft the ground is, I suppose. Have you thought about making a completely enclosed run with wire going across the bottom?

Alternatively, you could flash the cash and buy an eglu. I found fox paw prints on the top of ours but none ever managed to get in.

ransos
    Free Member

I’ve had occasional mice, but I think that is due to the woman over the back with her multiple bird feeders that drop seed all over her garden.

We had field mice nesting under the shed and taking the hens’ food. I caught them in a humane trap and moved them on.

mudshark
    Free Member

I have several foxes visiting me daily, they’ve never got into my pen which has a mesh roof and timbers all the way around the bottom – mostly old roof joists. So a fox could dig underneath but never has, burying mesh down to 12″ would be good I think. I have lost chickens to foxes but only when let out of the compound.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I had chickens, never dreamt of giving them names!

Just keep them clean, fed and watered and they will decide when to give you eggs!

CaptainSlow

I’ll look into some of the options, thanks all. I’ll have to focus on prevention/deterrence as I can’t eliminate the foxes due to location and neighbours.

Ours would have to have names I’m afraid, the kids will see to that 🙂

ransos
    Free Member

I had chickens, never dreamt of giving them names!

Think of all the opportunities for appalling puns. We had Layla, Henrietta, Yoko and Shelly.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

We have an Eglu Go Up with an extended run, which are supposed to be fox-proof. Expensive, but also very easy to keep clean, and I think t’other half went for that so I couldn’t have too many chucks!
    Of course chucks need names, how else will they know if you’re talking to them?

Still no eggs…

Smudger666

My other half started of with the 4-bird eglu and has traded up to the cube – 10 bird version. They get the run of the garden during the day and put themselves to bed at night.

Never had a fox problem but we are in the middle of a housing estate. Never had rats either but then I’ve seen what the chokes do to any mice they catch. Got a trigger feeder from wells poultry that stopped us feeding the local starling population!

Record 8 eggs today.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Chickenkeepingtrackworld’ is closed to new replies.