Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Chichester locals!…. access route to SDW question
  • scrumfled
    Free Member

Im planning some longer rides on the SDW and getting a bit bored of there’n’back stuff to brighton.

If I pitched up in chichester by train, whats the best way up to the SDW. Looking at the map it seems i could pedal up the centurion way to west dean then hop onto bridleways to SDW. Is that crazy talk and is there a better way?

m1kea
    Free Member

I’ve done exactly this a few times in the past. I just rode up the A286 past Singleton to get to Cocking.

If the Centurion way is the old railway line that’ll be much nicer I’m sure.

nedrapier

This was jolly acceptable: https://www.strava.com/activities/305841642

We rode north to south, but it was a nice route, it’d be good the opposite way round. The run up to the downs was great, feels very remote. banjo country!

The north side of the downs was ‘orrible though. And no more fun on the way down than the way up. Which takes some doing.

scrumfled
    Free Member

It is indeed. ok, sounds a goer then.

Its got to be better than the brighton <> chanctonbury return loop this weekend. I begrudged some of the climbs on the way back, thinking “Im sure I didnt get the benefit of this on the downhill” 😉

m1kea
    Free Member

@scrumfled

Looks like Ned did a good chunk of the Centurion way on his route above. 🙂

Did Wiggle’s SD Epic t’other Sunday which went to the west of the A286 – https://www.strava.com/activities/329889411

scrumfled
    Free Member

urgh. I dislike your average speed. clearly this donkey needs a bigger carrot.

(he says, whilst snaffling the gpx)

nedrapier

Lower average speeds are available!

If you end up following or reversing mine, the Partridge Inn in Singleton is not a mandatory feed zone.

Well recommended, though!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Route nicked and reversed, ta very mutchily…

m1kea
    Free Member

I’m soo out of shape it’s not funny and there was quite a few walks of shame on that ride 😳

Nice change of scenery though!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Chichester locals!…. access route to SDW question’ is closed to new replies.