Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Chewed up grass verge.
  • zippykona

Our neighbours have now got cars for their kids. This means we have to park 2 wheels on the grass to leave enough room for potential fire engines to get through. The grass is now chewed up and looks a mess. I’m all for taking half the front garden for off street parking but SWMBO has vetoed.
    Anything I can do to make the verge more resilient?

Tracey

Grass reinforcing mesh works but you need the heavy duty type for cars and make sure its anchored down well

Flaperon

Your verge or the council’s?

zippykona

Councils but I keep it cut and weed the path outside.

wwaswas

Councils

I’d ask them what’s acceptable (I suspect the answer will be ‘not parking on the verge’ will be the answer). I’d be wary about changing anything, though – they may charge to put it ‘right’

trail_rat
    Free Member

Any space to park in a safe place further down the road without parking on the verge and walking up the road?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Large spikes?

Flaperon

Verges round my neck of the woods have been destroyed by parked cars. My council tax will go towards fixing them instead of being spent on vaguely useful things like libraries.

zippykona

Any space to park in a safe place further down the road without parking on the verge and walking up the road?

It’s not only us that park there but it does make our house look worse.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Why does it make your house look worse does it look like part of your garden or is it just a patch of grass outside your property boundary.

Try a picket fence.

wwaswas

they do that round here to keep the travelling community off them.

hora
    Free Member

Does everyone have to park outside or as close as possible to the house(s)?

dknwhy

the hustler – Member
    this is what our council in their wisdom do to stop people using verges

Seems perfectly acceptable to me. What’s wrong with it?

Cheaper than widening the road and repairing verges. Stops the issue with people churning up the grass and forces people to park responsibly on one side of the road.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Careful what you wish for . The hustlers street looks worse than a little churned up grass.

hora
    Free Member

Just get the council to place some random large stones on the verge.

Just remember in the snow….they are still there like sharks waiting to bite 😀

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Seems perfectly acceptable to me. What’s wrong with it?

+1

john_drummer
    Free Member

Does everyone have to park outside or as close as possible to the house(s)?

of course, it’s in da roolz

oldboy
    Free Member

….vaguely useful things like libraries.

What?

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Should come to Forest of Dean mate, the Boar have ploughed everything, verges, telegraph poles, play grounds. clearly once they plough up the single track they will all have to be slaughterd!

robd

Forestry commission do a heck of a lot more damage here in the forest of dean than a few boar to verges, woodland, and the trails.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Agreed mate it’s trashed a lot this winter. For the record I like the Boar, it was a little tongue in cheek comment I think. So live and let live, I don’t have any issue with them or their damage.

Sandwich

For the record I like the Boar,

So do I, they make great sausages!

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

And burgers

sharkbait
    Free Member

Just get the council to place some random large stones on the verge

I was going down a country lane near us a few years ago and had to take to the verge outside a house because of a tractor/trailer coming the other way. Little did I know that there were stones buried in the grass.
    I cost me 2 x tyres and 1 x alloy. I now know that the verge belongs to the council/highways dept and I could have claimed my costs back from the owner of the house.

Zippy — it’s grass…. it will come back.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Chewed up grass verge.’ is closed to new replies.