Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Chest protection/Roost guards – DH content
  • nickhit3
    Free Member

hey folks,

I’m considering something like the Thor Sentinel having heard good things about its mix of comfort and protection- ive also found a good deal on one, however the jury seems out on their suitability over all. My riding (and set up) is predominately of the push up/downhill variety, not long all day epics but I’ve never had upper torso protection in all the years I’ve been riding. I am aware what it isn’t in terms of complete protection, however it is CE certified, but anyone out there with real world experience of their effectiveness? Do you ride with one? Has it helped or hindered you? I’m of the opinion that it’s surely better than nothing at all, in a chest impact with the deck. thoughts?

vincienup
    Free Member

I bought a 661 armoured vest reflexively after busting some ribs and the trouble that recovery caused as a contractor at the time (ie, no paid sick leave) with active dogs and no one else to walk them. I wore it a couple of times and put it in my wardrobe.

I’m pretty sure it would have prevented the injury I’d bought it off the back of, but honestly it sucked the joy out of riding for me far more than I could imagine the sweaty back anti backpack guys whine about. Knee pads I’m fine with, elbow pads I wear if I think I should, but for non-actual DH I personally find chest armour overkill.

nickhit3
    Free Member

Interesting cheers. For the record, I always ride with a pack (incl protector) and never particularly bothered about a sweaty back. Certainly not enough to ruin any ride. Undoubtably though, riding without is great.

vincienup
    Free Member

The sweaty back thing mystifies me, too. I’m fine with packs for the versatility. I tend not to be the sweatiest of riders though. The chest protector thing was an encumbrance, I felt, for normal up-and-down riding of any length however.

Obviously, personal opinions are personal. I’d never try to persuade anyone not to wear safety gear they wanted to wear. If you can try one before purchase it’s probably a good idea. Possibly it’s like knee pads and some are more vented at the expense of ultimate protection? Mine was a few years ago, probably 2012 or so.

nickhit3
    Free Member

ta for the replies so far. I suspect STW isn’t the core of riders who may wear chest guards but i could be wrong! Certainly seen them gaining coverage in the MTB press with a few enduro pro’s even sporting them though.

vincienup
    Free Member

I’d agree they’re more a DH thing where uplift exists. Use in Enduro was pretty inevitable, should have driven improved venting and all day comfort, so my five-year out of date opinions are probably old hat! 🙂

Be interesting hearing how you get on!

Northwind

The Thor is CE approved but as a roost guard not as crash protection- CE 14021:2003 is “Stone shields for off-road motorcycling suited to protect riders against stones and debris.” Not to say it’s useless for cycling, it’s just designed for another job.

You’ve got to be a wee bit careful with CE, for things like that or for when there’s maybe a full suit but only the elbows are actually approved, things like that (my motorbike leathers said “ce approaved” but only the knee pads were, the elbow and back protector were just foam)

nickhit3
    Free Member

Thanks Northwind, very true the certification I checked on said the same- worth pointing out to others who may find this thread. I wondered if they truly were better than nothing (i would assume so..) but if the negatives outweigh that in use as some suggest. I ride with a pack that has a built in protector so the two items may not play nicely in terms of fit. I’ll report back when one arrives to try out.

pitduck
    Free Member

Josh Bryceland wears one.

survivor

I think if your seeing pro’s with them on it’s more likely they are getting paid to wear them. I’ve never seen the point of wearing Motocross roost guards for DH. Your more likely to mash your elbows/back/shoulders than your stomach and chest I’d say.

If your wanting armour then go with a cycling specific one. I used to use a dainese top suit which did have two small chest plates as well.

They were always really hot though and as I’ve got more skillful and confident over the years I just use a back protector and at push elbow pads if I ride DH now.

nickhit3
    Free Member

VERDICT: so the item arrived sooner than expected so I tried it out- off the bike but with my typical gear on. I was surprised at how little protection and rigidity the guard had and more concerning for me, how much movement it had when worn over a typical DH Jersey. It does what it is advertised for (I would imagine) but not really what I had in mind for it.. I also wear a pack which has a ‘parachute’ style harness as opposed to a rucksack style pack and although it offered a slightly more stable pack experience.. it was at the expense of comfort in a big way. Not for me. I think I’d rather take my chances.

Even without a pack, this particular model has nothing to stop it riding up the torso- an issue that obviously would be a problem regardless in any crash. Just instinctively didn’t feel right. I’d rather have the flexibility up top than the rigidity and slightly cumbersome feel. I think there may be some legitimate protection afforded but at the expense of comfort.. hmmm… thanks for the replies guys. Confirmed most of the points raised. Now to arrange the postal return..

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Chest protection/Roost guards – DH content’ is closed to new replies.