Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Cheshire [ITContactorsWorld]
  • mikehow
    Free Member

Hi all

Got an IT Contract starting next week over in Northwich, looks like its going to run for 9-12 to months so looking to get the best out of the area.

I’ll be staying over during the week. House search isnt really throwing much up in the local area, so wondering on extending my search to Crewe/Chester/Macclesfield. Any thoughts on best places out of those?

Guess I’ll be getting out to Delamere and Llandegla during the week on the MTB, so if there are groups going out I would be glad to hear about them.

Also wondering if anyone has any recommendations for running clubs in the local area? Main focus is on the fells, but obviously that’s going to be a none starter over there. I did once hear about the Delamere Spartans…

Any info greatly appreciated!

IHN

Barclays by any chance?

Crewe – a dump (Sandbach much nicer)
    Chester – nice. Very ‘Cheshire’. Nearer to Northwich.
    Macclesfield – somewhere in the middle niceness wise, more down to earth than Chester. Longer commute, but easy access to the Peaks and Macc Forest for MTB.

No idea about running clubs, but I’d be amazed if there weren’t any in Macc and Chester.

tthew

Me and Teatoosugars are both local to Northwich. IMHO, Chester is nice, Crewe, not so much, but like anywhere they both have there good and bad areas. Macc also nice and much closer to the peaks, where you might find a running club that suits. Not a runner myself, but there’s a Hash group in Northwich that some of my bike club mates run with. Frodsham is also a nice town and a bit closer than the areas you already thought of. Same applies for Tarporley.

Weaver Valley CC comes highly recommended, (as I’m the MTB secretary 😀 ) We try and have 2 rides a month off road, one in Delamere and one further afield, and there LOADS of road club runs if that kind of thing floats your boat. Other groups ride in the forest in the evenings mainly, but I’ve not gone out with them so not really sure where to point you. edit – Twelve50 cycles is a decent shop (Frodsham) and have a Tuesday night shop ride which is popular. edit 2, if you want to ride in Delamere, you’re really best of with a group or local(s) to start with as the good stuff isn’t marked.

And of course you’re in striking distance of the Monday Night Pub Rides in north Manchester too.

marcus7
    Free Member

Dunno about the running but there are evening rides in delamere, as for living near northwich there are plenty of small villages to choose from that are an easy commute if you head to the Chester side of tha a49 it gives really good access to north Wales

Murray

I used to work in Knutsford for Barclays. Macc Forest is good for night rides in winter or long evening rides in summer. Llandegla is an easy drive in the summer (even easier from Northwich).

slowoldman

Macclesfield Harriers do track road and fell.
    About 45 mins to Northwich.

Not going anywhere near Gadbrook Park are you?

sharkbait
    Free Member

West Cheshire Athletics Club for track running just up the road at Cheshire Oaks.
    If you’re in Northwich I’d be looking to rent Tarvin way, easy access to Northwich everywhere really.

tthew

^ Tarvin’s a good call actually, and expanding on that, Kelsall is the next place nearer to Northwich, properly on the doorstep of Delamere and Primrose Wood AND has a couple of nice pubs.

mikehow
    Free Member

Cheers all. Some useful stuff here.

Hadnt even thought about Macc Forest, even though the Singletrack article a few years ago read pretty well.

Tarvin is looking like a great recommendation, thrown up quite a few interesting options!

sharkbait
    Free Member

Google Verde Estate Agents in Tarvin…. there’s a nice rental on the high street at at the moment according to MrsSB who works there.
    [other EA are available].

marcus7
    Free Member

I like Kelsall myself… mind you i live there… getting to gadbrook from there is a nice easy drive and quite possible to ride to as they have good facilities there. Its also literally 5mins from the forest so if the mood takes you its really easy to get to. Access to north wales is very good and you can get to the bike parks within a few hours but also cannock chase is not too bad to get to as well as the peak and i know plenty of people who get up to the lakes. road riding seems reasonable and i know a few CC runners who use the forest for training. Eating out is generally good but can be expensive and proper drinking pubs are becoming few an far between. I’m afraid there are no fells round here and kelsall is about as close as you will get to one. There are some routes with steeper climbs in the forest and there is plenty of mud!. I’m pretty biased about the area but i do really like it round here!

Murray
    mudshark
    Free Member

As a teen I lived in Chester and then Kelsall – would happily live there now I think though it’s a lot denser than it used to be – they built on the fields around the main road near the church in the early 90s.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Cheshire [ITContactorsWorld]’ is closed to new replies.