• This topic has 10 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by stox.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Cherished number transfer and taxing a new to me car.
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’m hoping to pick up a new ‘to me’ car at the weekend.

I’d like to transfer the cherished number on my current car on to it. When I’ve done this in the past it was reasonably straight forward, I went to the DVLA in Dundee armed with the V5s of both cars, their MOTs and proof of their insurance.

Quick edit – on that occasion I had the number on a retention document.

Given that most things are now online, can I do the transfer at the point of purchase? This would mean I could SORN my current car, cash in the remaining road tax on it and transfer the insurance. Tax the new car with the cherished number with the reallocated insurance.

I’m guessing that if I simply transferred my insurance to the new car with its existing registration number, I will lose that months tax when it is transferred to my cherished number.

The number was salvaged from my old Series IIA Land Rover. I like to keep its spirit alive.

chewkw
    Free Member

What’s the number?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

perchypanther
    Free Member

It’s going to take about six weeks. You can tax the new car straight away but you need to send both v5s to DVLA and they then send you a retention cert for the cherished number and a new v5 with the new number for the donor car and a new v5 in your name for the new car. You then need to send these back to the DVLA to transfer the number to the new car and they,’ll then provide you with a new v5 for the new car with the cherished number.
    Used to take 20 mins at the local DVLA office now six bloody weeks. That’s progress in the 21st century.

chewkw
    Free Member

That’s a very nice number for Chinese/HK superstitious …

Ya, keep it. The number means “direct/definite prosperity and living/growing prosperity”.

Have you prospered so far?

If I can get this number plate I will be over the moon “BO11 OCK”

mcmoonter
    Free Member

That’s a very nice number for Chinese/HK superstitious …

Ya, keep it. The number means “direct/definite prosperity and living/growing prosperity”.

Have you prospered so far?

Well, I’m still here, that’s something of a bonus rather than prosperity.

It’s an Orkney number. It’s one of the few places where folks will pay a premium for a number to celebrate where they stay rather than any personal vanity.

scotroutes

Round here it means Chicken Chow Mein and a Crispy Noodle.

chewkw
    Free Member

mcmoonter – Member
    Well, I’m still here, that’s something of a bonus rather than prosperity.

It’s an Orkney number. It’s one of the few places where folks will pay a premium for a number to celebrate where they stay rather than any personal vanity.

Yes, that’s unique nowadays as I don’t see them often. i.e. attach to location.

In the far east that number plate would command a premium because of the order and way the numbers sound when put together.

My work colleague has a license plate similar to my parents’ house number so I am thinking of buying it off him one day.

scotroutes – Member
    Round here it means Chicken Chow Mein and a Crispy Noodle.

😆 That’s exactly the intention … you buy more of the Chow Mein etc, the owner(s) get more money … Ya, quids in! Hence prosperity.

stox
    Free Member

OP – if I’m reading your post right You can do it all online now….

We were getting a new to us car. This is what we did….

We were due to collect the new car on the Saturday so We put the cherished plate on retention online on the Monday at the start of that week.
    This generated an emailed retention certificate advising us to put the original plates back on the car.
    It also generated a new V5 in the post from the dvla which we received on the Wednesday.
    So when we took the car in to pt ex it it had the original plates on and the correct V5.
    We collected the new to us car on the Saturday. We Received the v5 for that vehicle about a week later. Went online and assigned the plate to the car. this meant we could immediately put the cherished plates on it

Not sure if you follow that (or if it helps)!

Check it out online but I think you’d be best doing what we did and putting it on retention online – to do a transfer will take a lot longer

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Stox, that is exactly what I was after, thanks. Another thread on reclaiming unused road tax was timely too.

stox
    Free Member
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Cherished number transfer and taxing a new to me car.’ is closed to new replies.