• This topic has 23 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by grum.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Chefs of STW – Cooking Brown Basmati Rice
  • Haze

Any tips on cooking methods?

My usual method for white is 200ml of water per 100g of rice, cover and simmer over a really low heat for 12 minutes then remove heat and leave to stand for 5 minutes minimum (still covered, no peeking).

Assuming brown will take about 25 minutes of simmering, how much additional water should I allow?

binners

If you cook brown basmati rice for a really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really long time, and eat it blindfolded, you can sometimes convince yourself that its actually edible.

Or to save on the energy bills simply cut up lots of small lengths of garden twine and substitute for the rice

PiknMix
    Free Member

Haha ^ mmmmm twine

Haze

That bad huh?

nostoc
    Free Member

I use 1 cup rice to about 1 7/8 cups water, but I would give it 35 mins simmer. I like rice to be soft but dry, not mushy. Also I would usually be frying in minimal oil for five mins before adding the water.

organic355
    Free Member

Microwave for 2 mins

soobalias
    Free Member

rinse it, rinse it, rinse it, rinse it, rinse it

then plenty of water and boil for about 25mins

i cant stand that soggy tasteless crap thats sold as “white rice”

binners

You could always have half chips?

emsz
    Free Member

More water. At least a litre of boiling water for that much rice. Stir once, turn the heat down and leave it, when its done ( taste it) throw it away and eat chips instead 🙂

jimster
    Free Member

rinse it, rinse it, rinse it, rinse it, rinse it

then plenty of water and boil for about 25mins

I don’t boil it for that long, just until it yields when you bite it, drain reserve some water, put water back over pan, rice in a sieve over the water, and cover with foil and lid to keep warm.

Haze

Five times as much water…are you sure?

How’s that much meant to get absorbed in 30 minutes?

binners

Would more pressure help? Have you got a jetwasher?

Haze

Binners, I’m still finding grains of rice all around the house from when I split a bag open by accident a while back, can only imagine the mess if I introduced the jet wash into the equation!

Bimbler
    Free Member
    nealglover
    Free Member

Five times as much water…are you sure?
    How’s that much meant to get absorbed in 30 minutes?

It doesn’t have to absorb all the water.

Presuming you have a sink in your kitchen, what’s left can be disposed of down the hole in the bottom 😉

Haze

Ah but I prefer the absorb method, rice almost always comes out better that way.

binners

Apparently if you drop your phone down the bog, you can dry it out by placing it in a bag of rice. So you could keep it around for that eventuality, without feeling too bad about opting for emsz nipping-to-the-chippy suggestion.

I presume that the rice is to go with curry. But everyone knows that curry goes best with chips, like so…..

zilog6128

i cant stand that soggy tasteless crap thats sold as “white rice”

Why are you buying soggy rice? I prefer to buy mine uncooked.

Personally I stay away from brown rice for this reason:

Phytate, or phytin in rice, binds to minerals, rendering them largely useless to any animal that consumes it. Well, rats can break through the phytate and get at the minerals fairly well, but they evolved that ability – we did not. Heat does little to phytate, but, since it’s located in the bran, physically removing the bran removes the phytate. That’s why brown rice eaters tend to have poorer mineral balances than white rice eaters.

Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/is-rice-unhealthy/#ixzz2SntHpLuo

Haze

Binners, curry will continue to be served with white, as will chilli.

It’s either chips or rice, I don’t go for the half and half can’t make my mind up option 🙂

cchris2lou

Rinse rice with plenty of water

Put rice in saucepan

Add water till water is about 2,5cm above the rice .

Cook on medium heat and rice will be done when water is all gone .

DezB
    Free Member

I’m still finding grains of rice all around the house

They do these things called vacuum cleaners, you know 😉

I bought some brown rice after MBR recommended it. It’s grim. The grains all cook at different times, so no matter how long you boil it for, some of it is gooey some of it is like twigs.
    Guaranteed to ruin any meal.

bigblackshed

I’ll take it you thought of brown rice for tea tonight? Knowing it takes a while to cook, you thought get it on by 3, it’ll be done by tea time?

Schoolboy error. If it is for tea you should have put it on last Tuesday. Wednesday at a push.

HTH.

Haze

I’ll take it you thought of brown rice for tea tonight?

No.

(but thanks for the advice)

grum
    Free Member

I fry it for a couple of minutes with some cinnamon and a couple of cardamom pods (if having with curry), then stick in a bit less than twice as much hot water as rice. Being to the boil then turn down as low as possible with a lid on.

Not a massive fan of white rice unless its egg fried or sticky Thai style rice. Not sure if Marks Daily Apple is an entirely legit source of info either TBH.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Chefs of STW – Cooking Brown Basmati Rice’ is closed to new replies.