Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Chef's knives?
  • ratherbeintobago

Have broken* the 16cm chef’s knife (ie. the knife we use for pretty much everything).

Anyone recommend a new one? Fancy a Global G57/58 but they’re a bit pricey…

Andy

*OK, more accurately the rivets in the handle have started to come out

dannybgoode

Stuff Global – one word, Kasumi

Pricey yes but absolutely the best knives I have used…

Cheers

Danny B

CountZero

OK, more accurately the rivets in the handle have started to come out

Put the handle on a solid flat surface, like the back of a vice, and hammer them back flat. Or drill them out and put new ones in. They’re only rivets, after all. The knife isn’t ruined, you could even take the scales off, clean them up, and epoxy them letting the epoxy fill up the rivet holes, then scrape the excess off as it sets, so you’ve got glue-rivets; it’s how arrow points, or piles, are held on.
    Not that that’s an excuse for not buying a new knife, everyone needs a backup… 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    russianbob
    Free Member

Global – pah
    Kasumi – pah

What you want is a Cut Brooklyn or a Blok.

Going to get myself a Blok before Christmas, nearly as exciting as a new bike.

bruneep

Going to get myself a Blok before Christmas, nearly as exciting as a new bike.

Better nip on 2-3 months waiting list…….for a knife! 😯

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Head yourself down to a decent Chinese supermarket, get something very good for 10% of global and similar

trevron73
    Free Member

Im rocking Sai Knives for demo’s and cookery schools and Wusthof for the kitchen ,remember if a Wusthof breaks in any way they will replace it ,even a 20 year old will get replaced for free .

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Wusthof +1.

Although, in true STW style, my knives are made by blind, virgin nuns, who live in caves in Calabria. They make the knives while clad only in a crown of thorns and smeared in olive oil, obviously.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

‘Rocking” a knife?

Lazgoat
    Free Member

Try EdenWebshop.I bought their own branded Eden Chefs Damast steel knife and it’s pretty damn sharp and has kept it’s edge for a couple of years now with regular care.

The only down side is it’s pretty brittle steel and it’s quite thin and exceedingly sharp I’m constantly worried about chipping the blade.

wolly
    Free Member

Shun or global can’t go wrong

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I bought one of these at the Great Yorky Show. 4.5″ utility knife, about £30, It’s as sharp as a really sharp thing, I’ve used it loads & I still haven’t sharpened it cos I don’t need to yet…

Shroom & knife 003 by jimmyg352, on Flickr

CountZero

I’ve got a Global, but I wouldn’t buy another. I didn’t realise that the blade is just welded to the handle, so it’s possible to snap the blade if pressing on it, like smashing garlic. I’d much rather have a full tang, or stick tang, in the case of those procook santoku knives.
    I’m probably going to get that set of four when they’re back in stock; can’t see how you can go wrong for £14.

larry
    Mikeypies
    Free Member

if you want a knife to use pop to the shop of dreams TK MAX
    they sell zwilling seconds at around £14

jambalaya
    Free Member

Another vote for Wusthoff plus add Sabatier

Lazgoat
    Free Member

I’ve handled some Zwilling knives and they don’t feel as highly finished as others. The have quite square edges on to of the blade which I don’t like.

mightymule
    Free Member

I have had my 2 Sabatier knives for 5 years, and they are used constantly. I haven’t had to sharpen them yet.

marsdenman
    Free Member

if you want a knife to use pop to the shop of dreams TK MAX
    they sell zwilling seconds at around £14

+1

Coyote
    Free Member

My brother did a course at a college and was issued with a set of “The Smithfield” knives. Cheap looking and plastic handles but by Neptune’s bollocks are they sharp and they hold their edge magnificently. He gave them to me and I use them regularly and they are an absolute joy.

If I was to go looking for replacements then China Town would probably beckon. Or TK Maxx. 8)

popstar
    Free Member

Tojiro DP range are very good introduction into japanese knive, inexpensive compared to others too.

colournoise

For all-round ‘everyday’ cook’s knives, I’m currently a fan of Porsche, Robert Welch and Aldi knives. Got Global (and a stone) among too many others but don’t rate them.

For slightly left-field, have a look at Marttiini from Finland.

grum
    Free Member
    saleem
    Free Member

I’ve tried most brands over the years but still end up going back to Wusthof, the amount of lads that have worked for me that want the same as the chef Wusthof should be given me mine for free the amount of money I’ve helped them to make.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

plus 1 for Robert Welch. The 25cm cooks knife is great for those “that’s not a knife THIS is a knife” moments

Neil-F
    Free Member

I’ve had a Gustav Emil Ern 8″ Chefs knife for about 20 years, its used for everything, it gets a quick rub on a steel now and then and its been superb. I was nearly in tears once when I dropped it and the very end 1mm of the tip broke off.
    I’d defo buy another, but they do cost a wee bit.

chewkw
    Free Member
    piemonster

Kin Knives for me. Arguably a bit fragile for some folk. But I’m a delicate flower and they are beautiful things.

To be honest, I’d just go to a shop and see which you prefer. They seem to be such subjective things.

Take Global, some seem to love the way the they feel. I think theyre a pile of poo.

piemonster

Oh and plus 1 for Zwillings Henckels, If I wasnt prepared to sell largely spare body organs to have a lovely lovely knife. Zwilling is what I’d get.

hmmm knifey knives, lovely

Rscott
    Free Member

I use a set of Victoria nox knifes, they feel and are amazing, however there not the new breed of Victoria nox,they’ve been handed down through two generations and are from the 50’s.

new ones arn’t as nice unfortunately

mrmo
    Free Member

Someone on here recommended Victorinox when i asked, got one, and to be fair it is a very nice knife and not that badly priced.

popstar
    Free Member

Before deciding which knife (Continental or Japanese) you should consider your style of cutting as well.

Continental knive are made of thick hard steel 55-57 hrc and hold edge at around 20* angle.
    They are durable, don’t chip as easy and are relatively easy to sharpen up.

Japanese knive use even harder and thinner steel at 60-63 hrc and hold edge from 17*-13* angle.
    VG10 steel is relatively maintenance free, no need to worry when puting it into dishwasher etc. At 60hrc its good enough to cut thin tomato slices as well as crushing bones without fear of breaking blade.

If you were knife afficionado you could venture into damascus carbon steel blades 62+hrc and those extreme 13* angle edge, but those are more boutique and require some maintenance and care after every wash.

To own japanese knife, one needs to learn to work/sharpen with wetstone to get most out of exquisite blades. So Continental knive are easier to live with in that respect (handle knife sharpeners are handy and easy to use).

There is no such a thing of knife staying sharp for ever, but Japs do hold their edge better.

As chef’s knife I personally wouldn’t go shorter than 21cm but would couple it with 12cm pairing knife. You also need to consider your kitchen size before opting for 27cm blades, they are extremely Pro and usefull but man, you’ve got to be serious to use them (chopping zombies in half more like).

So here you are, HTH and the reason Tojiro DP were recommended for VFM.

http://nipponkitchen.com/acatalog/Tojiro_DP_Range.html

and review
    http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/856342/

pymwymis
    Free Member

Robert Welch. Don’t cost the earth and used by the best catering school in he country (Ashburton). Good enough for them, good enough for me.

Sandwich

Makro, if you have a card or know someone with a card do Henckels knives. Reasonable cost too.

Kuco

I’ve got a couple of Wusthoff Classic Ikons that seem to do the job alright.

ratherbeintobago

Leaning towards the Wüsthof, I think. Will have to go and find somewhere I can hold one.

Dangerboy
    Free Member

I wanted a global but when i tried one i really didn’t like how they felt. Bought Henckels Twin Fin instead, could not be more pleased with them. Crazy sharp, thin, great handle and well balanced. Will buy more when i can afford…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Chef's knives?’ is closed to new replies.