• This topic has 6 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by tsd.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Cheese lovers of STW. Have you tried Saint Felicien yet?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

My brother fancies himself as a bit of a gourmand, handy as he introduces me to the occasional gem. Last night’s delight? Saint Felicien, creamy unpasteurised nommage. Hard to find in Fife, well worth looking out for.

weeksy

Wife loves it, Saint Marcellin is distinctly similar too.

mugsys_m8

St Felicien is a bit of a strange one….It comes from…St Felicien in Ardèche (and was originally a goats cheese) but is no longer particularly linked to the place, unlike St. Marcellin and …St Marcellin. The 2 places aren’t too far apart….St Marcellin is in the Isere valley before it flows into the Rhone at the foot of the Vercors between Grenoble and Valence and the area is also famous for its Walnuts which is the AOC ‘noix de Grenoble’. St. Felicien is the other side of the Rhone Valley. However…you get a lot of St Felicien cheeses made near St. Marcellin because one of the main fromageries that makes St. Marcellin re-introduced St. Felicien but in a cow or mixed recipe. Essentially it’s now a creamier St. Marcellin.

…disclaimer…I’ve mostly just learnt that from the internet: I couldn’t help myself as I live about 30km from St Marcellin…and the comically named town next to it called Chatte..which is slang for…

legolam
    Free Member

Just back from the Ardeche and had lots of St Felicien – top tip, let it ripen till it’s oozing out of the fridge, then spoon it onto fresh baguette…

Nom nom nom

jambalaya
    Free Member

One of our favourites. The terracotta dishes it usually comes in make great olive dishes.

St Marcelin is excellent too btw

fasthaggis

Hard to find in Fife

East Fife is where it’s at,all champagne and posh cheese across here 😉

Cheesy Fife

tsd
    Free Member

Tesco actually stock it round my way (Bucks), it usually needs a few days aging to get it nice and soft.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Cheese lovers of STW. Have you tried Saint Felicien yet?’ is closed to new replies.