• This topic has 42 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by tiim.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Cheer up my Mum
  • DavidB
    Free Member

Backstory is that my Mum has been relegated to a chair by various cancers and shenanigans. She’s stuck there all day until carers lift her out and take her to bed. Her long term prognosis is not brilliant either and so I’ve been trying to cheer her up. She always enjoys a good cycling tale or a postcard out of the blue. I have run out of things to tell her and so turned to the bikepackers who came up trumps.

These little bits of post made a MASSIVE difference so I asked the roadies as well via road.cc and this has given Mum even more relief from my semi-senile Dad who sits in the chair opposite chuntering on all day.

So, I was wondering whether the mountain bikers could help as well? I can promise that every card/letter/postcard/panda/ferret/photo sent to Mum makes a real difference. Every time I see her, this is all she talks about.

More on the whole thing at this link I’d be genuinely grateful for anyone that could help. Email in profile for Mum’s address.

TIA
    Dave

wwaswas

Is it ok to put this on Twitter David?

andylaightscat
    Free Member

Happy to 🙂
    YHM

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Wow this post made me smile a lot and has made a rather crap Friday a little bit better. Medicine in itself. Thankyou.

jamj1974

Dropped you an email Dave.

DavidB
    Free Member

“Is it ok to put this on Twitter David?”

Yes definitely I’ve spammed Twitter to death with it 😉

IHN

Christ, it’s dusty in here.

Faith in humanity restored.

4130s0ul
    Free Member

That’s made my day. happy to help David, I’ve dropped you an email. all the best

Cougar

Seems like we’ve another forum to outdo. Get to it people, the reputation of STW is at stake!

DavidB
    Free Member

Cougar thank you so much for pinning this. I massively appreciate it and the STW response has already overtaken road.cc

aide

Sorry to hear all of what your mum has had to endure. Will send some flowers at the end of the month (payday)

PJM1974
    Free Member

*sniffs*

*wipes eyes*

theotherjonv

sent you an email

andylaightscat
    Free Member

card posted 🙂

bazhall
    Free Member

Sent you an email.

project
    Free Member

aw lovely idea will write something in near future, apologies befor for poor gramer and spelin misstakes.

Spin
    Free Member

Like.

caspian
    Free Member

Fantastic thing you are doing for your mum! Very inspiring. Wish I’d done the same for my brother whilst he was around.

MrOvershoot

David you are one super son,
    I understand exactly what you are going through as I lost both parents to bone cancer. My father 18 years ago at 61, and my mother last March at 73. Both were not just my parents but really good friends and mentors in my life.

from your link in the first post the lines:

Mum’s heart nearly exploded when Nigel sat down with his class of schoolchildren and each sent her an individual Christmas card with a fact relevant to the festivities. One child poignantly wrote inside “Don’t worry Jenny, you are not alone”.

Has had me sobbing for over 1/2 hour as its just so simple but so caring.

Tomorrow once I’ve pulled myself together I’m sure I can dig something out to send to both your mother and then to yourself that would just for a brief moment distract you both.

DavidB
    Free Member

Thank you MrOvershoot as you know at times there is very little you can do and this was the best I can think of. Luckily cyclists are so bloody ace it has worked in spades.

jambalaya
    Free Member

YGM

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Email in profile for Mum’s address.

Can’t see it, Dave.

andylaightscat
    Free Member

it’s shown in the about me part of Dave’s profile

Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

Hi Dave, I’d be more than happy to contribute from my little corner of France. It’s a great idea and I wish I could do something similar for my mother, unfortunately advanced dementia has taken her from us.

bigyim
    Free Member

Done. Hope it brings a smile

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Emailed

el_boufador

Letters to my Mum

Fantastically written, fantastic just generally. chapeau!

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Emailed, off to buy a card.

jimmy

Emailed. I’ll see what I can come up with.

seosamh77
    Free Member

A beautiful thing you are doing, good on you.

DavidB
    Free Member

Just been sat with Mum going through the cards, letters, pictures and amazing flowers she has received from you all. I cannot THANK YOU enough as it has really really brightened up her days

Dave

crazyjenkins01

Something will be there soon…

bentandbroken

Email sent.

PS – Does she have internet access?

bentandbroken

Also reported to see if it can be made a sticky again (seems to have dropped off after the forum update)

IHN

TTIUWP 🙂

Alex

Excellent. And I had the opportunity to give you a light ribbing to cheer your mum up 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Have you been on Facebook?  There are lots of pages you can like full of adventure stories.  Some are companies, some not.  I have ‘liked’ Salsa cycles for example, lots of race and adventure write-ups on there, but there are probably plenty of other companies doing same.

theotherjonv

got my arse in gear to buy a card today – will be in the post for you tomorrow.

Beautifully written on that blog post too – chapeau.

tiim
    Free Member

BUMP – This is still Valid

Going on holiday?

Got bored kids?

Do a nice thing – get Dave’s mum’s postal address from him and send her a card.

scaredypants

well reminded, we’re away again in 3 weeks so will send another card

(if my shitty memory holds up)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.