Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Cheer me up, please.
  • RustySpanner

I’ve got Sciatica.
    First time.

No sleep for 3 days, painkillers not touching it.

Worst thing is I feel like I’ve let everyone down – I’m due to be working tomorrow and I just can’t do it.
    I feel so guilty.

Mrs S is very understanding, but she’s having to ‘do’ Christmas all on her own – we’ve got 14 coming over on Boxing day.

I know it’s nothing in the great scheme of things, people have lost friends and loved ones and I know I’m being a wimp, but I’m struggling here.

Cheer me up, eh?

Kryton57

Worst thing is I feel like I’ve let everyone down – I’m due to be working tomorrow and I just can’t do it.
    I feel so guilty.

You’re injured not skiving, get over it.

Put your foot up and enjoy Christmas – Salute!

RustySpanner

I know, I know.
    🙂
    Doesn’t make me feel any less guilty though.

Off to the quacks – see he’ll prescribe me a nice big dose of MTFU.

Thanks.

badnewz
    Free Member

Don’t feel guilty, you are unwell. Just ask the other half to be extra understanding, and if you need to spend the period in bed, so be it.
    I’m in a bad state and other than seeing my parents on xmas day, am just staying in bed, watching tv and posting on here.

tallmart10

I had it earlier this year. Pain all down my right leg. Couldn’t sleep. Painkillers worked temporarily for me though – Cocodomol iirc.
    Yoga and stretches cured it, along with a couple of physio sessions. You can find some rather nice vids on YouTube which are ok to *cough*watch*Cough* and copy. Just give it time and persevere.

Good luck

doncorleoni
    Free Member

I AM NOT A DOCTOR AND DON’T LISTEN TO ANY MEDICAL ADVICE ON HERE ETC ETC

but I get really bad sciatica in my right hip which feels like someone is stabbing me with a hot knife. I have 60mg codeine tablets on standby when it gets really bad….my doctor said in an emergency I could take 4 x nurofen plus which gives you 800 mg of ibuprofen (max adult single dose – prescription strength dosage) plus almost 50mg codeine. This helps take the edge off

Again I am not a doctor. Take it with food as ibuprofen is hard on the stomach….also read the packet etc etc

Did I mention I am not a doctor?

Anyway it’s rubbish and I feel your pain.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Pigeon pose – seriously.
    I hate it and another but they work well to alleviate it.
    Failing that expect Gabapentin but don’t expect a drink of any description :/
    Codeine will knock the pain back – sometimes but the side effects aren’t always worth it.
    It doesn’t stop the neuropathy issues anyway.

qwerty
    Free Member

Try stretching your piriformis.

terrahawk
    Free Member

bloody hell. Hope it eases off soon Pete.

pk13

Echo both of the above. Keep it mobile .
    As long as you have not crashed on your bike or fell down stairs after trying to limbo on the Christmas party..
    Slow and steady streaching ftw

perthmtb
    Free Member

Go back to the doctor and ask him for some real painkillers. I was on a cocktail of paracetamol/codeine/ibuprofen and it just didn’t do the trick. Then the doc gave me Tramadol and it was like a wave of relief washing over me. Don’t want to stay on it long term though – can be addictive.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Hi Rusty. I had really bad sciatica last year after an off on the bike. I was diagnosed with a disc bulge in the lower back. After physio and shed loads of ibuprofen I followed this workout on you tube
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BgO0KmmnVGM

Ater a few weeks the pain relief was amazing. Maybe worth a try?

rOcKeTdOg

Put your foot up and enjoy Christmas – Salute

worst thing to do, keep it moving, hobble around with a glass of something nice in your hand

Kryton57

It was rhetorical ffs, people are so uptight on here…

RustySpanner

Just spent half an hour doing some of the recommended stretches.
    It’s eased to the point I can get in the car.

Thank you for all your replies.

Don’t drink (much) BTW, but I knew what you meant Kryton, ta!

Kryton57

Be careful Rusty.

I’m currently being physio’d for a dodgy shoulder – painful muscles when riding. When I explained I was doing some yoga moves that I’d googled, he looked at me with with horror and told me I could be doing worse damage by performing unsanctioned exercises without proper medical advice.

Three sessions later as he’s found 3 frozen vertebrae, which are currently in the process of being defrosted.

Don’t hurt yourself!

SaxonRider

I have felt your pain, to the point where I ended up in hospital.

One thing you can do is to have someone pick up a pair of crutches for you from Boots or somewhere. It really helps insofar as you stand straight and take the weight off your lower back. Ultimately, it is about as comfortable as you can get with sciatica.

Please try it. It’ll improve your Christmas.

Best wishes.

rOcKeTdOg

It was rhetorical ffs, people are so uptight on here…

there’s probably some stretches you can do to loosen it

binners

KILL IT WITH WHISKEY!!!!!!*

* I am not a doctor

badnewz
    Free Member

I would second Kryton on this regarding picking up exercises off YouTube.
    I self-diagnosed a knee condition incorrectly and joined up to a gym with group exercises. Boy, was that a mistake. Even when I complained about the effect on my knees, the trainer said all you have to do is more of this and more of that.
    I ended up losing quite a bit of weight but aggravated the knee condition even more to the extent that I couldn’t walk.

Clover

If you can get to a physio for suitable exercises do. I think you’re in Tod – there are two physios working in the one opposite Lidl (Physio and Therapies). Both have got my shoulders working… Good luck. Take it easy, keep moving but gently.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

binners – Member
    KILL IT WITH WHISKEY!!!!!!*

* I am not a doctor

Yes. This one:

I know I am.

Merry Xmas Rusty.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

This one worked for me :

shermer75
    Free Member

If you’re feeling guilty anyway then it’s a good time to sleep with your wife’s sister.

HTH

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Cheer me up, please.’ is closed to new replies.