Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)
  • Cheeky feckers!
  • footflaps

Someone sent me this photo…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/As4kks]dirty2ride 5[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

Which bears an uncanny resemblance to this photo of mine…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/acz6yv]Luca Bortolotti[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

Turns out they’ve nicked a load of my photos off Flickr and branded their UK registered company with them. Their director will be receiving a Letter before action on Monday…

globalti
    Free Member

That was just stupid of them! What did tey think would happen if thy pinched someone’s photo?

johndoh
    Free Member

Clowns

footflaps

He claims ignorance saying it was the graphics company’s choice of ‘free’ image. Either way, I’m taking them to the small claims court unless they agree to settle first.

For a while Saddle Skedaddle’s vans were using an image of mine, but they had the decency to license it first!

wrightyson
    Free Member

Your going the other way on the van, that’ll cover them 😆

wrightyson
    Free Member

Mate and I were pictured at his wedding as best man and groom, they used that photo for ages in their publicity. I never did get round to speaking to them!

footflaps

They almost got away with it as well…

One of Luca’s pals spotted the van in the Alps, snapped a photo and sent it to Luca (who is the rider in the photo) as he thought it odd that a rival guiding company was using his image on his ‘turf’. He then sent it to me fuming that I hadn’t asked his permission to license it to a rival of his…

martinhutch

So not only did they nick the picture, they nicked and used one of a direct competitor? The mind boggles at such spectacular idiocy. 😯

EDIT: And photoshopped their logo onto a rival guide’s t-shirt!

alanl
    Free Member

I’d be starting at £5000.
    It’d cost £1000+ to replace those van vinyls, then there is anything else they have used.
    A commercial photographer would charge a minimum of £500 to go out and take that photo, they would also get the subject to agree to the final images use, – would you like it if your mate had took your pic, then you were on the side of a van advertising?
    They are in the shit and cannot deny it – the Graphics Compnay and the User are both liable for costs in its use.
    Sue the bastards.
    Get better advice about costs from a dedicated pro photographer site.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Two issuer spring to mind, first compright of the image. They need to prove you gave them copyright over the image. Second model release, the riders image is being used as an advert. He also has a claim against the company.
    Make sure you stick it to them. Blaming the graphics company is bollecks! They’d have to have signed off on the advert.

brooess
    Free Member

Good man. Glad it was spotted and you were told.
    As per those threads re discounted bikes, some people think ‘cheeky’ is perfectly acceptable without actually thinking about what it does to someone else’s livelyhood

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

**** Apple spelling correct!

matt_outandabout

There are some numpties around.

footflaps

Also, using a photo of a well known local rider who used to podium in the Euro Enduro scene is not very smart! Luca even designed a bike park course, he’s guided us down his own DH courses. Everyone out there knows him.

matt_outandabout

If it was the designers, they would not have a clue who he was.

I had a load of work images used for a european conference – in the same industry we were in. The claim from me dissolved into multi language multi country arguing, and all the images were pulled from the website. I never recieved any compensation.

steveirwin
    Free Member

Pure greed at play in this thread. Suing and what not. Jeez just chill out it’s only a photo. Take it as a compliment.

allthepies
    Free Member

Different image, yours has the rider leaning to his right but he’s leaning to the left in theirs.

😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Pure greed at play in this thread. Suing and what not. Jeez just chill out it’s only a photo.

It is greed, the people decided not to pay for a professional image so just stole somebody else’s who has copyright in the image.

trail_rat
    Free Member

to late but what mike said….

codybrennan
    Free Member

steveirwin – Member
    Pure greed at play in this thread. Suing and what not. Jeez just chill out it’s only a photo. Take it as a compliment.

Its footflaps livelihood at stake. He’s a professional photographer.

cloudnine
    Free Member

steveirwin – Member

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/exposure

allthepies
    Free Member

Panto: “Oh no he’s not”

Sandwich

Panto: “Oh no he’s not”

But he is a very keen amateur and, having had a look at his Flickr page, not without talent/expensive equipment. This all takes money to acquire and deserves some compensation if an entity wants to use his efforts in a commercial setting.

bearnecessities

Panto: “He’s behind you!”

brooess
    Free Member

Pure greed at play in this thread. Suing and what not. Jeez just chill out it’s only a photo.

If he has copyright it’s also theft…

zilog6128

One of Luca’s pals spotted the van in the Alps, snapped a photo and sent it to Luca (who is the rider in the photo) as he thought it odd that a rival guiding company was using his image on his ‘turf’.

maybe your mate could turn this around & get one over on them – social media campaign, even posters up around town, pointing out that even the competition regard him as the best guide! And then sue their arses off.

Drac

Professional or not it’s his image and has been used without permission.

jamesmio
    Free Member

We made a similar (albeit genuine) mistake a while back. A temp image used for design mock ups was so similar to the rights free one supplied by the client that it slipped through the net and onto the live website.

Turns out, it was an image owned by Getty Images, who are notorious for taking companies to the cleaners over copyright infringement.

Entirely our own fault, and we held out hands up for it but it still resulted in me signing a cheque for several times what a days photography would have cost.

A hard lesson learned that day.

The fault/blame, legally so ands with the client – not the design agency, we just took it on the chin because it WAS our fault.

Personally, I’d be chasing the cheeky sods for a small fortune given the competitor circumstances involved here. Get your client involved too!

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

I thought if a photo is on flicr you lose rights to it? One reason I don’t use that platform.. I’ll be happy to be told differently if’m wrong…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You can copyright your pic and Flickr encourage the use of creative commons licensing which gives you a huge selection of rights. Putting something online does not remove your rights as a creator.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Interesting POV, the thief who steals your TV or car because he admires it should be allowed to get away with it as he’s ultimately paying you a compliment. And it’s only a TV/car.
    This is breach of copyright, plain and simple, as everyone has with their photos automatically. Just think about how you’d feel if one of your photos was used by Britain First. And this is the same and even more blatatnt and damaging as matey’s business could be damaged by people booking a trip with the competition in error.
    Get a copyright lawyer and good luck.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

http://creativecommons.org/choose/
    and the license on the pic itself on Flickr lists

Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
    NonCommercial — You may not use the material for commercial purposes.

chakaping
    Free Member

he is a very keen amateur and, having had a look at his Flickr page, not without talent/expensive equipment.

Backhanded compliment of the week!

As regards the OP – I’d totally expect it to be ignorance rather than malice, but they should still pay you a fair rate plus reasonable penalty.

I was gonna Google the company involved but no way am I typing “dirty 2 ride” into Google.

allthepies
    Free Member

😆

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’d totally expect it to be ignorance rather than malice

Seriously? The pic has (c) on it and listed as non commercial.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Would have looked more professional if they had used someone with index fingers poised on the brake levers. 😉

njee20
    Free Member

Mate and I were pictured at his wedding as best man and groom, they used that photo for ages in their publicity. I never did get round to speaking to them

That sounds different, I’m sure a wedding photographer has a clause saying they can use their own photos of you in their promo material… 😕

OP is right to be annoyed IMO!

sands
    Free Member

Footflaps / Ben Freeman

Best of luck to you. I’ll be following this thread with interest.

mikey-simmo – Member

Two issuer spring to mind, first compright of the image.
    **** Apple spelling correct!

I fear your device is infected with the (all too common) ‘Stanley Unwin’ virus. 🙂

footflaps

I’m not a pro and had they asked nicely they could have used it very cheaply. All I’m asking them for is the fair commercial rate for the photo. Plenty of companies / individuals ask to license my photos and offer to pay. It it’s for non commercial / academic use then I let them use them for free. For commercial use they pay the going rate – which isn’t that much (compared to the cost of having a van wrapped in a custom print vinyl).

wrecker
    Free Member

Agree with the “this is theft” stuff.
    Can’t help but feel a little for the guiding co though, it is entirely likely that these MTB types aren’t overly familiar with copyrights and stuff and were led by the media agency. Now they have photos plastered all over their vans which aren’t theirs to use, and are now looking at £1000’s worth of costs. Pretty shit.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Cheeky feckers!’ is closed to new replies.