Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Cheeky 1-2 hour loops near Leominster
  • hardtailonly

Family weekend away this weekend, hoping to get a pass for a cheeky early morning 1-2 hour ride. Anyone got a gpx / Strava ride they can share, ideally from Yarpole!

core

On or off road? Yarpole is not far at all from Mortimer Forest, plenty in there! Lots of ‘gravel’ riding over Bircher common too if that’s your thing?

hardtailonly

Sorry, assumed that as we’re on here, you’d all assume off road :-). Yes, ideally 1-2 hours singletrack, trails, moors, woods from the door. Gravel might be an option as a plan B, take the CX and get off road where I can, mooch on the tarmac if I don’t come across much dirt …

skaifan
    Free Member

Mortimer forest is your best bet. Plenty of trails in there. Hopton wood is a 30 minute drive, and takes about an hourish to get round.

core

Well for quickest to get to it’s got to be Mortimer Forest.

For simplicity I’d go for a quick blast up the main road to Richards Castle, turn left at the pub, then left again at the church, up onto the common, head up into the top corner (to the right of the big house & farm), then you’ll be in Mortimer forest. Follow that trail until you come out on the fire track, straight over, then you’ll come out on the very top by the old fire tower. After that go straight on downhill, down a rough track, take the second small trail on the left, it’s a bit nadgery, hard to spot, like a small gap in the trees, when that spits you out on another track go almost straight over (quite a drop in) then through that section (quite rough also) you’ll come out on a fire track again, turn right, then if you go left into a grassy opening a few hundred yards later you’ll a find a few short trails that head downhill. Eventually you’ll come out on another fire track. The opposite side of this is the ‘skill track’, you may have to go up or down the fire track to find the start depending which trail you come down prior to this, but this then follows the brook all the way along the bottom of the valley. It appears to finish where a track crosses it but it does start again the other side. At the end of that you’ll be below the car park, near to Moor Park School, from there you can either road it back or I’d probably go up to the car park and find some singletrack along the way and go back through the forest. There’s a track that runs above the car park basically parallel to the main road and all sorts off it.

It’s littered with trails in there, worth a look on Strava.

hardtailonly

Thanks for the advice chaps. Popped up to Mortimer in the car on Saturday and chatted to a couple of guys – very helpful, confirmed loads of trails, but seems that being local / familiar is essential to get the most of what is on offer. They also recommended Hopton Woods, which has some purpose built trails.

So, on Father’s day, that’s where I headed instead, 20 min drive and then a quick blast of the ‘warm-up’ loop followed by the full red without having to worry about getting lost. Lots of climbing, tight & twisty in places and some great descents.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Cheeky 1-2 hour loops near Leominster’ is closed to new replies.