• This topic has 21 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Keva.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Cheddar Gorge, anyone?
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

A

theflatboy
    Free Member

A+ from me, one of god’s best gorges.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Should be down there today sampling some of the new sport routes they’ve bolted….wish I’d know it would be so nice today.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    therealhoops
    Free Member

Hole

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

was

MTT
    Free Member

have you tried riding up the road on a 42T…?

Jebus.

therealhoops
    Free Member

once

bristolbiker
    Free Member

When fit: ride up gorge, pootle over to Bath along the top, back to Bristol along the path. Lovely

When not fit (as currently): ride up Burrington Coombe, descend through gorge scaring all and sundry, esp through the steep switchbacks at the bottom. Stop for an ice cream in the village, creep home any way I can 🙂

wors

drove through it last week, stunning place. bet coming down on a bike you can get some speed up!

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

As a kid, about 14 years old a mate & I cycled down to Wells from Fleet in Hants, my main two memories are being chased by a farm dog at the top of Cheddar … Priddy I think & then getting a puncture with no repair kit going down the gorge itself so I had to walk down half of it 🙁

The-Beard

found

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Priddy

In case anyone’s wondering, it is indeed a very priddy place.

wors

wouldn’t mind a nosy round the caves as well next time im down that way, anybody been in?

andywhit
    Free Member

Prefer a Wensleydale pigout personally.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Wors – yes, a while ago. IIRC, you buy a ticket in the village for all the ‘attractions’ of which the caves are part of it. They are pretty good, but Wookey Hole is better (though less other ‘things’ to do around it, unless you go into Wells)…. and then I went to NZ for a bit and realised we don’t really ‘do’ caves like they do 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

No, not in years, but they’re well worth a visit I hear. Avoid on busy weekends though – the place is full of grockles. The owners aren’t the nicest either – the saga between the National Trust (one side) and the cave owners (the other) and the BMC securing access for climbing went on for years and years.

EDIT: I think it’s the NT that owns one side.

elliptic
    Free Member

The last few years they’ve closed the gorge to traffic for a week in November so they can clear loose rocks from the cliffs.

Fantastic opportunity to ride down at night making full use of the width of the road on all the bends 😀

Until you fly round one and suddenly find fridge sized boulders scattered across the road 😯

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

I wouldnt have understood at 14 but I heard a story about Diana Dors came from Priddy.

The story goes that her real name was Diana Fluck & when she came back to open the local fate the local vicar was asked to introduce her, he was desperate not to make the obvious mistake & said “known to the rest of The World as Diana Dors but better known to us as Diana Clunt”

tree-magnet
    Free Member

I live about an hour away and I’ve never been.

noteeth
    Free Member

Tis great.

(Mendip native in exile)

Moses

I dunno whether Diana Dors was from Priddy, but she went out with my mate Lou’s dad. She’s certainly from the Bath/Wells/Swindon axis.

(And Lou runs club nights & publicity for the Thekla, for the Bristol folks)

Keva
    Free Member

cider mmm….

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Cheddar Gorge, anyone?’ is closed to new replies.