Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 176 total)
  • Ched Evans – Not Guilty
  • natrix
    Free Member

It didn’t take the jury long to find him not guilty http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-37659009

wwaswas

The stuff he has admitted to doesn’t really give him any cause for celebration, tbh.

tpbiker
    Free Member

He may be a bit of a self entitled scumbag but I hope he sues alot of people over this

He was heavily critisised for never admitting it and not saying sorry…Lots of people will have egg on their face now

outofbreath
    Free Member

Good decision. If the girl couldn’t remember if she’d consented then IMO in the absence of other evidence it couldn’t be certain beyond reasonable doubt that she hadn’t.

Respect to her. She never claimed to have been raped and the temptation to “remember” that she’d consented and make the whole drama go away must have been immense. She did the right thing and stuck to the truth IMO.

SaxonRider

Very good point, outofbreath.

P-Jay
    Free Member

outofbreath – Member

Good decision. If the girl couldn’t remember if she’d consented then IMO it couldn’t be certain beyond reasonable doubt that she hadn’t.

Respect to her. She never claimed to have been raped and the temptation to “remember” that she’d consented and make the whole drama go away must have been immense. She did the right thing and stuck to the truth IMO.

Agreed – it’s a shit case all round really, a dirty sordid thing happened, and it was worth investigating but I suspect it wouldn’t have gotten past the CPS if he wasn’t a footballer. Being able to use the image of young footballers being arseholes (most fit the profile it seems) made it more prosecutable IMHO.

Junkyard
    Free Member

there are no winners in this case

He is not a rapist but he is an absolute arsehole

No idea why his partner and her family stood by him given how he acted

not rape but Trumpesque in his behaviour

robgclarkson
    Free Member

no winners here, evans whilst he’s (wrongly) lost 2.5 years of his life and his career still looks like a scum bag

tomhoward

could Sheffield United have any sort of claim for compo here? Losing their star striker contributing to their relegation (iirc)

tpbiker
    Free Member

no winners here, evans whilst he’s (wrongly) lost 2.5 years of his life and his career still looks like a scum bag

Indeed

Respect to her.

this…Not so much….

Unless you respect wannabe wags who get too pished to keep their pants on..

Wonder what the ‘new evidence ‘ was…

BoardinBob

As above, he’s a tawdry character, and the girlfriend and her family sticking by him, and in fact bankrolling his case, is quite bizarre.

From what I remember from just before his release, there was CCTV footage of the girl entering the hotel, and she appeared to be in a fit state. Wasn’t there also texts from the girl in the aftermath to her friends saying this was her opportunity to get rich???

All in all, a pretty grim situation

gobuchul
    Free Member

This^ +1.

However, being an arsehole doesn’t mean you should have a highly lucrative career destroyed. This whole thing has cost him several millions pounds.

Junkyard
    Free Member

the new evidence was a sexual partner from the week[days] before Ched and two weeks after the incident who said she said the same things
    “**** me harder” basically
    Rare to allow sexual history/behaviour into the trial

she sent lucid and well spelt texts to a friend whilst to drunk to consent – well an hour before the incident and pushed a man off her in a kebab shop.

johndoh
    Free Member

Wonder what the ‘new evidence ‘ was…

Apparently former sexual partners were interviewed which may have painted a different picture of her.

Peyote
    Free Member

Unless you respect wannabe wags who get too pished to keep their pants on..

More respect for her than for men who have sex with pished women when they’re barely in a state to consent.

The law is an ass when it comes to rape. It’s ridiculous that “consent” is even used as a measure. It should be “enthusiastic participation”.

outofbreath
    Free Member

I think the new witness also said she had a history of forgetting she’d consented.

Personally I think that’s bollocks, but the result feels right to me.

Peyote
    Free Member

the new evidence was a sexual partner from the week[days] before Ched and two weeks after the incident who said she said the same things
    “**** me harder” basically

Really? So consent from previous times can be used for future reference? Jeez.

outofbreath
    Free Member

“The law is an ass when it comes to rape. It’s ridiculous that “consent” is even used as a measure. It should be “enthusiastic participation”.

You’re obviously not married. 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

Really? So consent from previous times can be used for future reference? Jeez

No the argument was that she was consenting as she was acting in the same manner as when she did consent. One would assume a rape victim would not as for it harder for example.

No one argued she had sex with someone else weeks earlier or later so it meant she consented with him.

wwaswas

I was recently a juror in a rape trial.

The judge was very clear about what constituted consent. Women in a relationship can be raped and still have consensual sex with the same man before and after the rape so her history with other partners must have been particuarly relevant in this case. I didn;t hear the whole case so I don’t know what basis it was included under.

She has not been proven a liar, discussion of her sexual morals on here serves no purpose, imo.

gobuchul
    Free Member

It was a very strange case. The girl never made a complaint and never did she claim he raped her.

natrix
    Free Member

I think the new witness also said she had a history of forgetting she’d consented

As far as I recall the new witness said that after he had had drunken sex with her, she’d woken up forgetting what had happened the night before, i.e. she had a history of losing her memory after a drink.

This was pivitol as the case had rested on the assumption that if she had been so drunk that she forgot what had happened she must have been too drunk to give consent.

Junkyard
    Free Member

discussion of her sexual morals on here serves no purpose

Agreed I am trying to simply report what happened and not judge

gobuchul
    Free Member

discussion of her sexual morals on here serves no purpose

But surely her sexual morals and the sexual morals of the 2 footballers, is what caused the whole thing?

wwaswas

is what caused the whole thing?

what ’caused the whole thing’ was a question mark over whether consent was given on this occasion, not who she might choose to sleep with?

outofbreath
    Free Member

“As far as I recall the new witness said that after he had had drunken sex with her, she’d woken up forgetting what had happened the night before, i.e. she had a history of losing her memory after a drink.
    This was pivitol as the case had rested on the assumption that if she had been so drunk that she forgot what had happened she must have been too drunk to give consent”

Thanks for the correction.

Peyote
    Free Member

You’re obviously not married.

I’m afraid I am, but that’s a different thread. Actually it’s an entire forum. And we’re back to Mumsnet!

No one argued she had sex with someone else weeks earlier or later so it meant she consented with him.

Thanks for the clarification Junkyard.

martinhutch

It was a problematic case for loads of reasons – not just the loss of memory, but also the fact that Evans did not initially meet up with the girl, but joined in after her original partner had finished. This was what made evidence of specific consent between the woman and Evans (or the lack of it) far more important, because there was none of the preliminary context of meeting, travelling together willingly etc.

I’m not sure that the new evidence fully answers those issues, but just pushes it slightly back into the arena of ‘reasonable doubt’. Fair enough I guess, but I can’t say Evans has gone up greatly in my estimation, or that I’m that bothered about his career.

theotherjonv

More respect for her than for men who have sex with pished women when they’re barely in a state to consent.

An absolute minefield and I don’t know the answer to it, but I can’t get my head around the fact that being too pished to be able to legally consent is a ‘defence’, whereas being too pished to be able to realise she’s too pished to legally consent to it makes you guilty.

thegreatape
    Free Member

It’s a nightmare to investigate and no doubt to prosecute/defend. There’s rarely an independent witness to the event, and to be 100% sure of guilt or innocence would (in most cases) require jurors to be able to mindread – remember that the honest held belief of the man as to the partners consent is a crucial part of the crime. Alcohol complicates this further as it affects judgement on all sides.

lunge

This is pretty much my view.

The new ruling feels the right one but without sitting through both trials I have no basis for that feeling bar gut instinct.

MoreCashThanDash

enthusiastic participation

Not sure my memory goes back that far….

Awful case, as others have said it’s a legal minefield and no one comes out of it looking anything other than thoroughly unpleasant. Always intrigued me why his partner and her family have been his greatest supporters.

I’d hope that young men and women might learn something from all this, but I fear that the result will be twisted by some young lads.

convert

Yep, feels like the right verdict now (clearly working on 3rd hand reporting at best).

Irrespective of guilt or otherwise what sort of woman would stand by him through all this? Apart from one who likes a wag lifestyle above self respect I guess.

The girl and Evans’ life are all a lot lot worse for a 10 minute leg trembler in a Rhyl premier inn.

bikebouy
    Free Member

A sordid tale of ego, money, power, drink and recriminations.

Sells papers though.

Rarely does it ruin careers, only seeks to fulfil sex sells both to money and ego.

bearnecessities

Irrespective of guilt or otherwise what sort of woman would stand by him through all this? Apart from one who likes a wag lifestyle above self respect I guess.

Don’t become a psychologist.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Apart from one who likes a wag lifestyle above self respect I guess.

Her parent are millionaires she does not need him for his money and has stood by him when he has none

I have no idea why

bearnecessities

Maybe….we don’t know her.

Or him.

I know, shocking!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Lack of facts[or insight] is never a problem on this forum

jambalaya
    Free Member

Heard the coverage on R4 and Ch4 news. Allowing prior sexual history is very rare but was permitted here to it’s directly relevant nature (sexual terms used and “forgetting”). I wonder whether the witness came forward after £50k reward for info was made available.

No winners here. R4 says Ched will almost certainly not be compensated as Govt scheme is limited financially and there is no company to go after. He last the best part of his career, probably more than 50% of his earnings. A nightmare for the girl – police say they will go after those who named her.

No winners

Junkyard
    Free Member

I wonder whether the witness came forward after £50k reward for info was made available.

both said under oath they had not been paid and the second one said he did not know about till the first was asked about it.
    then again they are known to his circle of friends according to the Guardian

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 176 total)

The topic ‘Ched Evans – Not Guilty’ is closed to new replies.