Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Checking what fork travel I've actually got??
  • carlos
    Free Member

Forks have the sag makings as 160mm, writing on the back states 160mm, but I asked for 170mm to be fitted to my build. Chap in the lbs said they’d been converted and were 170mm.

What’s the easiest fool proof way to check?

Lyrik, rtc3, if it matters.

I’m thinking remove the left hand top cap as the 160’s have 2x factory fitted tokens and the 170’s only 1

Cheers

Superficial
    Free Member

The tokens are replaceable though so that’s meaningless. I presume the stanchions/ lowers are from a 160mm fork and the shop has substituted the air spring. Just let the air out and measure the travel?

carlos
    Free Member

Fair enough comment on the tokens. Having 160mm lowers and swapped out internals is what I’m lead to believe.

Sounds dumb, but in my defence I have had a few beers. What 2 points do I measure?

Ta

chiefgrooveguru

If there’s less than 170mm of exposed stanchion it definitely isn’t a 170mm fork.

carlos
    Free Member

Mmm, currently measures 170mm from the top of the seals to where the stanction meets/joins the fork brace. So that sounds about right. Same measurement on the other bike is 160mm and they are 160mm Lryiks, makes sense.

Cheers

molgrips
    Free Member

In my experience the travel matches the amount of exposed stanchion between the seals and the crown. Some forks can’t actually be compressed this much though when there’s any air in.

nickdavies
    Free Member

As you’ve done measure stanchion to fork crown for the measurement.
    Lowers and csu are one size fits all on the new lyrik according to the tech doc it’s just the spring assembly that adjusts travel, so sounds like they’ve got it right.

Bit crap they didn’t just get the correct fork to start with though so you had the correct sag markings on, unless you got it at a good price.

legend
    Free Member

Putting a converted fork on instead of one delivered in 170 is pretty cheeky imo. I assume they had a 160 in stock that they wanted rid of?

carlos
    Free Member

Bit crap they didn’t just get the correct fork to start with though so you had the correct sag markings on, unless you got it at a good price.

Putting a converted fork on instead of one delivered in 170 is pretty cheeky imo. I assume they had a 160 in stock that they wanted rid of?

Yeah too true, ’tis cheeky. I’ll have a word and see what they say.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Checking what fork travel I've actually got??’ is closed to new replies.