Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 130 total)
  • cheating roadies again…. ?
  • kimbers

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0uGFYHzHJM[/video]

aP
    Free Member

??
    Man slides off on corner, motorbike rides over bike on floor.
    Yes, cheating of course.
    Gregg’s is open, maybe you should pop down there.

WackoAK
    Free Member

??

Look at the back wheel when the bike hits the ground..

bigjim

it does look odd, I guess if the tyre is just touching the surface there will be enough momentum in the spinning wheel to pull a very light bike round though.

simonbowns
    Free Member

hehe, was about to post this having seen it on Dirt’s twitter feed

wwaswas

the wheel’s still spinning and when the rubber touches the ground it moves the bike. Why would he have a motor running on a downhill?

rusty90
    Free Member

??

The more insane conspiracy theorists are saying that the way his bike spins after he’s fallen off it shows that he has a secret motor fitted.

discoduck
    Free Member

I saw that live and thought exactly the same thing over a week ago ?

What’s Greggs got to do with anything ? Or am I missing something….

theflatboy
    Free Member

It does look weird – the back wheel seems to touch the ground stationary and yet then contact again and pull the whole thing round… quite odd.

brooess
    Free Member

The more insane conspiracy theorists are saying that the way his bike spins after he’s fallen off it shows that he has a secret motor fitted.

What else could it be?

Not conspiracy-theorising but with a freewheel the wheel stops dead usually…

WackoAK
    Free Member

What’s Greggs got to do with anything

Slagging off roadies means that you’re a fat Mountain biker who eats at Greggs -at least I think that’s what is being implied.

discoduck
    Free Member

wwaswas, KERS, as used in F1 battery regeneration when braking, kinetics.

If there was a hidden motor fitted I’m not sure any one would be stupid enough to fit a switch with ON / OFF on the handlebars. The motor is probably running all the time hence the wide line on the corner, too much speed.

There was a similar theory about 5 years ago when some spectators apparently hears a motorised whirring noise on an uphill stage on the TDF.

I’m guessing that motorbike rider has seen bikes go down plenty of times and is competent enough to ride round it, the motorbike rider clearly slows waits for things to settle and moves on then all of a sudden the bike is moving again and he rides over it !

The commentators on the next day said nothing was mentioned by the team, move on and that’s racing, I bet they did.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

[edited] I wasn’t aware of the conspiracy therory fruitloopyness.

Pretty sure the live footage was much quicker and that’s slowed down which makes it look a bit dodgy. In real time it just looked like the bike slid down the road on the pedal, which came to a stop and spun round on the pedal.

bigjim

just watched it lots of times, its very suspicious, the wheel touches the ground plenty and is totally stationary when he unclips, then starts shooting off again from stationary after he unclips

lemonysam
    Free Member

That’s exactly what happens if you come off on ice, if the road was slick enough and the camber was right I can’t see why it wouldn’t happen.

poah
    Free Member

who cares its a roadie??????

Houns

Dodgy, very dodgy

kimbers

to be fair I do love a greggs sausage roll!

neilwheel
    Free Member

It does seem strange how the movement of the bike seems to speed up the longer it is on the ground.

brooess
    Free Member

There must be some kind of on/off switch tho. If he had a puncture he’d need to stop the motor whilst he got the wheel off and the service car turned up with the replacement. Or at the beginning of the race, or at those points where the peloton comes to a halt behind a crash – if he couldn’t stop the wheel spinning then it’d be dead obvious

discoduck
    Free Member

WackoAK, oh I see ? That went straight over my head, if that’s the case That’s a bit churlish, can I start my usual onslaught of portly bald blokes in Lycra then?
    Or shall we all remain adults and discuss reverse polarity and a fixed anti free hub body.

@Kimbers, I prefer their sausage & bean bakes.
    I think we should have a poll

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

There was a similar theory about 5 years ago when some spectators apparently hears a motorised whirring noise on an uphill stage on the TDF.

Ever heard a pelaton go past, whole thing sounds like a cross between an electric drill and a hornets nest.

There must be some kind of on/off switch tho. If he had a puncture he’d need to stop the motor whilst he got the wheel off and the service car turned up with the replacement. Or at the beginning of the race, or at those points where the peloton comes to a halt behind a crash – if he couldn’t stop the wheel spinning then it’d be dead obvious

Most E-bikes just sense when you’re pedaling and add power based on that. Even if he did have a motor, why would he be using it downhill, in another riders slipstream? Anyone who’s ridden a road bike would know that in that situation you have to brake or look for ways to scrub speed to avoid riding into them.

And where in the rear wheel could you fit a big enough motor to make a difference? a 100W motor is about the same diameter as my wrist, only places it could fit are in the seatube or downtube driving the BB.

mudshark
    Free Member

Is it because it’s so aero?

He he, I’m not suspicious but if the don’t do drug testing then who knows what’s going on?!

hora
    Free Member

That is weird. Wouldn’t the weight/extra weight negate the advantage? What if they are caught? It’d be curtains alongside a rider caught doping.

BigDummy
    Free Member

The cranks don’t move very much. It’s hard to see as the bike shifts, but:

– I can’t see the crank moving enough to move the wheel sufficiently to move the bike like that; and

– if the cranks don’t move under power it’s tricky to envisage how the motor works.

FWIW, I think the camera is flattening the gradient of the road and it’s actually setting off down a rather steep bit. Mechanical doping seems like rather hard work, and supposedly the UCI does x-ray bikes.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Or shall we all remain adults and discuss reverse polarity and a fixed anti free hub body.

Yes, lets be terribly adult and try to damage the reputation of a professional sportsman based on three seconds of footage we don’t understand.

JAG

I watched it on TV and hadn’t noticed that the wheel spins back up and moves the bike out in front of the motorbike.

It does seem very odd behaviour for a push bike. I don’t want to believe they’re running electric motors but I’d love to have a closer look at that bike 😆

discoduck
    Free Member

Nonespoon, yes I have, but the rider in question was out on his own and the peloton was way back, making a sound like a drill, without having any suspicious devices fitted to aid cadence and defy the laws of Physics.

eskay

It looks odd but it would have to be one hell of a motor. I assume a motor would have been in the hub as the crank is still. A motor small enough to fit in a road hub would struggle to produce any reasonable torque. Not sure if it coukd even spin the bike around like that without a rider.

iolo
    Free Member

momentum is your answer

The handle bars are locked so the back goes round due to the speed the bike was going.

Edit : too slow

discoduck
    Free Member

Lemonysam, fair point you win, I’ll not air my opinion on something I know nothing about, just like I didn’t make my opinions heard when Armstrong was a Cycling god.

What we should all do is trust that a multi billion dollar sport is clean and that the next generation aren’t two steps ahead of the testers and in another 10 years we can all say “well I never, who would have thought that”

Any one for a Doughnut ?

Most e-bikes have big batteries and very obvious motors.

I reckon if anyone could miniaturize that set up, they could find better ways to make money than selling it to a couple of moderately unsuccessful pro cycling teams.

Or perhaps that’s why Chris Froome always stares at his stem. Its got a little dial showing charge remaining.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Bike is moving at pace.
    Bike goes down.
    Bike is not fixed gear.
    Bearings and freehub allow wheel to continue to rotate.
    Road surface is smooth so minimal friction to slow wheel.
    Pedal catches and allows crank to turn as bike rotates around crank, thus rear wheel keeps turning.

That’s before you start trying to come up with a battery that can provide enough watts to run a motor and then hide said battery and motor somewhere in the frame where it can provide drive through the existing components.

As for the camera bike running his bike over, target-fixation and given the slippy surface I imagine the bike rider isn’t going to want to brake hard/steer hard so is going as straight as possible.

Lifer
    Free Member

Who was the rider in question, Discoduck? Not the spartacus bullshit again?

discoduck
    Free Member

If it were me that we’re cheating, I’d ask for the battery pack to be secreted in my shoe, which also controlled the on off element of the rotor with a connection to the cleats ?

And during a stage I’d wave the team car up and change my footwear.

But that would bring my good sportsman like nature in to disrepute and no one would want to do that.

Or would they ?

njee20
    Free Member

What we should all do is trust that a multi billion dollar sport is clean and that the next generation aren’t two steps ahead of the testers and in another 10 years we can all say “well I never, who would have thought that”

How’s your tinfoil hat? You honestly think they’re sticking motors in the frames? That’s just retarded. Doping has got sophisticated now, do you honestly think teams would be as brazen as to shove a motor in the frame? Seriously?

FWIW the ‘evidence’ on Cancellara was nothing to do with buzzing noises (seriously!?), it was that he accelerated, and at the same time moved his hand on the hoods – so folk were inferring he was pressing his “Super Awsums Turbo Booooster” button. Those folk were idiots too.

Lifer
    Free Member

njee20 – Member
    Those folk were idiots too.

😆

The comments on the Dirt page are brilliant.

christhetall
    Free Member

Jonathan Vaughters has just tweeted

“Wanted: bicycle mechanic w electrical engineering and/or jet propulsion PhD. Highly confidential work. Must speak fluent Canadian”

rusty90
    Free Member

Or perhaps that’s why Chris Froome always stares at his stem. Its got a little dial showing charge remaining

So that’s why his domestiques are always dropping back to the team car – it’s to fetch new batteries, not energy gels!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 130 total)

The topic ‘cheating roadies again…. ?’ is closed to new replies.