Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Cheat bikes and the rain
  • MrsToast
    Free Member

I’ve recently cracked (like my knees) and bought a Lapierre Overvolt HT 700. Now I have it, I’m strangely protective of it, so have come for advice from any ebike experts!

How careful do I need to be about the weather/riding through puddles, etc? I was going to be all carefree and assuming it’d be fine as it’s a mountain ebike, but t’husband has pointed out that if the bottom bracket and motor get knackered, it’d probably cost an arm and a leg to fix. Do I need to get a cover for it when driving down the motorway in the rain?

Aristotle
    Free Member

Do I need to get a cover for it when driving down the motorway in the rain?

They are not allow to be used on motorways.

I would hope that the seals are good enough to be used in the wet and to cope with the occasional soaking.

wwaswas

Given how long MTB BB’s last I’d make sure I had a good supply of axle bearing spares but otherwise I’d treat it like an mtb and trust to decent sealing and the warranty.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Mrs M’s Bosch motor had to go back to the Fatherland for attention after being ridden regularly over the Downs through winter, it developed a noisy bearing. It came back with a whole new motor (under warranty). I’m hoping that it won’t happen this winter.

tomhoward

I’ve used my Levo in all weathers for 18 months now, transported on the back of a car in foul weather, got it proper muddy then washed it with a bucket and hose. Also the washers at trail centres.

It’s fine. No reason to think Lapierre would be any different

Saccades
    Free Member

Except, you know, French and electrics…

😉

tomhoward

It’s a Bosch motor isn’t it?

tjagain

Personally I wouldn’t put any bike on the back of a car and blast down a wet motorway so for me its a now. Highspeed wet grit and salt blast.

MrsToast
    Free Member

Personally I wouldn’t put any bike on the back of a car and blast down a wet motorway so for me its a now. Highspeed wet grit and salt blast.

Neither would we in an ideal world, but it’d mean no biking for 80% of the year! 🙁

MrsToast
    Free Member

It’s a Bosch motor isn’t it?

Yamaha.

Poopscoop

Their pianos aren’t waterproof.

Not sure if that helps. 😀

Most relevant comment so far, “French and electrics”…. So, so damned true.

kayak23

You’ll be fine so long as you wear rubber wellies.

MrsToast
    Free Member

“French and electrics”.

Oh lawd, don’t joke about that. I had a Nissan Micra (just after they started being stealth Renaults).

*shudder*

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Cheat bikes and the rain’ is closed to new replies.