Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Cheapo (lycra) shorts – any I should know about?
  • pk-ripper
    Free Member

Given that I commute on the road bike 4 days a week now, it's becoming a bit of a chore to keep washing shorts in the week, as not commuting in my good stuff.

So, anyone out there got experience of the cheap end of shorts? Sadly I'm looking at lycra cos it's on a road bike, and it's a 36 mile round trip, so don't want something too shabby, just more budget and non-bib. And preferably not shinier than a geordies bling.

Oh, and I've already ruled out DHB as in the pair I have the pad is way too wide so bunches up and chafes my delicate manly thighs.

wwaswas

I'd be worried about leaving used shorts around for days on end – washing them at low temperature might not get all the stuff that's been growing in them out/dead.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Tesco were doing padded lycra shorts for £8.99

I got a couple of pair to wear under baggies on long rides. They're not too flattering but not bad price

ourmaninthenorth

Decathlon for me. Just bought another pair of their middle ranking (red pad) range (bibs, natch). do the commuting job fine.

I used to use a pair of shorts for a couple of days, but the warmth of summer means that I'm soaked with sweat when I arrive, and they don't dry enough during the day to avoid undercarriage-unpleasantness.

Got out an old pair of Assos today. Comfy..! 😀

lunge

Second Decathlon, their shorts are very good for the money.

MRanger156
    Free Member

DHB bib short are fantastic – look on wiggle

cynic-al
    Free Member

I wouldn't buy rubbish for riding that amount of time in the saddle. No way would I not be washing them daily.

barrykellett
    Free Member

I'm disgusting, I will wear the same shorts for every commuting day of the week, and I also do 36+ mile round trip.
    I wouldn't be scrimping on shorts to be honest. I would rather scrimp elsewhere. In fact, if you are serious about commuting and do it in all weathers you shouldn't scrimp much on any of your clothes.

Obviously cheap jerseys etc from lidl are fine. But in the winter i mean, you need good tights and a good layering system.

And for comfort I would alwyas go for a bibbed short

MartinGT
    Free Member

If you can, try not to skimp on Lycra shorts man as they are a vital contact part of the bike.

finbar
    Free Member
    njee20
    Free Member

as not commuting in my good stuff.

Why not? Life's too short! I rode in this morning in Assos FI.13 shorts, what's the point in having nice kit if you don't use it!

You're doing a decent ride, why use cheap kit?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I was going to sugest DHB if you hadn't already rulled them out.
    I find them a lot more comfortable than a lot of more expensive brands.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

My lycra is either Aldi or Halfords. I'd take the opposite POV in that I'm not sure why you need to spend loads. The Halfords ones are a better fit for me. 36 miles is not really a long road ride, is it?

njee20
    Free Member

Did anyone say it was? I said a decent ride.

More expensive stuff is more comfy IME, with some clear exceptions. I've never had cheap shorts that I've thought to be much cop personally! My favourites these days are Gore Ozon, which are quite mid-range though. Assos have gone down in quality whilst the prices are now ridiculous.

Algore
    Free Member

Agree with njee about the Ozons, super comfy.

But you certainly do get more when you spend more on cycling shorts.
    Look out for the elastic interface seat inserts (used by GORE BIKE WEAR, Assos etc) made by Cyctech.
    The more expensive shorts have more technology and therefore costs in the inserts. Simple.

When I am on my bike I want to be as comfy as possible. So I buy a nice saddle and I get the best shorts.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

36 miles is not really a long road ride, is it?

Did anyone say it was? I said a decent ride.

er, yes. Cynic-al:

I wouldn't buy rubbish for riding that amount of time in the saddle

nbt

I use Aldi lycra shorts for all my riding, I have half a dozen pairs. Not had any assos or whaetever to compare them against but they seem alright to me 😉

KINGTUT
    Free Member

My Assos F1 Uno shorts were one of the most disappointing purchases since I started cycling.

njee20
    Free Member

Yes, agree they're rubbish, the pad's too bulky and in the wrong place, the FI.Mille and FI.13 (the older ones at least) are far far better.

ourmaninthenorth

I rode my old F1 Milles today. Apart from the pad, they are supremely comfortable. The trouble with the pad is that it folds lengthways along the middle (i.e. up my arris), which isn't altogether pleasant.

nickc

I'm using dhb, and Endura.

J0N
    Free Member

Can I recommend these guys.
    http://www.cycle-clothing.co.uk/
    Fast delivery, good quality at good (sometimes great) prices.

brassneck

http://www.shuttvr.com/

How about the entry level Shutt VR shorts?

£29 for full bibs, they look pretty damn good.

No personal experience yet but I will be ordering some shortly.

brassneck

oops didn't read non bib. my bad.

But still I'd go for something a little upmarket, my commute is about the same and 4 days riding would save around £20+ in petrol.

njee20
    Free Member

I rode my old F1 Milles today

One of my pairs of Milles are now so old they're only fit to be worn under tights, virtually see through in places!

Why non-bib, out of interest? I can't imagine going back!

Valleyboy
    Free Member

i bought some More Miles padded lycra shorts for £13 a pair, very good fitting, comfy and appear well made

They're from Start Fitness in newcastle i think they have website worth looking at

cheers
    nick

teagirl
    Free Member

+1 for tesco, they're ok as my spare pair.

crikey
    Free Member

Top commuting or short ride tip; rub a good handful of moisturising lotion on your perineum and bits, keeps you chafe free and fresh smelling when you get there…

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Cheapo (lycra) shorts – any I should know about?’ is closed to new replies.