Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Cheapish wheelset for bike park bashing…
  • alpin
    Free Member

I know it’s a little decadent, but I’d really like an extra wheelset with some beefy rubber for bike park bashing.

Don’t want to ruin my Splines and yet another set of trail tyres.

Was tempted to buy another set of tyres the other week in the Pyrenees but couldn’t be arsed with the tubeless faff.

What is out there that I should be looking at? <200 would be nice.

Weight not so much of an issue as most of the riding is obviously lift assisted.

alpin
    Free Member

Dankeschön, but I’m in Germany and, noch dazu, need 27.5s….

oldtalent
    Free Member

I was looking at superstar the other week. I have always though the brand cheap and nasty but the wheelset look mint at a price that can’t be grumbled about.

BearBack
    Free Member

Which splines as the ex1501 use 471 rims which are 100% bike park worthy.

alpin
    Free Member

yup… ex1501s. it is more the faff of swapping to a beefier set of tyres. both me and the GF ripped our rear tyres (SS Minion and Rock Razor respectively) but fortunately i’ve managed to bodge them using old puncture patches and some gaffa. 8)

would be nice to run some bigger tyres and just swap the wheels over as and when.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Superstar defo

deviant
    Free Member

Superstar superstar and superstar again!

I have some Pacenti rims on Switch hubs still greatc after years of neglect.

I have theirv own Tactic rims on Tesla hubs still used on my FS and uplift days.

I have some DHX pro-2 DH wheels that are better than the e-thirteen ones the bike came with.

And finally I have some Elite 30 road wheels that have never needed attention in the last 4 years.

I don’t care about the label, in my opinion they build excellent wheels.

blacknose
    Free Member

I had some superstar Sentinels on Tesla hubs once. The hub failed on me repeatedly and the rims were made of cheese. Threw everything away after a little over a year, by which point both rims were dented beyond repair.

I’d probably buy something else, or at very least buy one of their massively overbuilt wheelsets like the DHX. They weigh like 2.5kg though.

blackmountainsrider
    Free Member

Stans s1 wheels? Or Alex rims on chosen hubs?

alpin
    Free Member
    blackmountainsrider
    Free Member

It says the front hub is for a 20mm axle? If that’s ok id probably go for it!

jairaj

I’ve have had good experiences with my two Superstar wheelsets so I recommend them.

Get something built onto the Switch hubs, not as light or fancy as the Tesla but they seem to be more reliable and support most if not all axle sizes.

But its hard to resist that Sun Ringle wheel set at that price. I think that rim should be more than strong enough. I’ve used their XC / Trail wheel set in the past and liked it. I was a noob in those days so didn’t really push the rims hard but I was riding quite a few miles and the hubs stayed nice and smooth and the rims were straight needing just a slight tweak on the spokes once or twice.

alpin
    Free Member

used to run Singletrack rims on my old bike when guiding. can’t remember them getting out of shape.

also ran MTX rims for ages on my beefey DB Alpine with no probs.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Cheapish wheelset for bike park bashing…’ is closed to new replies.