Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Cheapish sleeping bag needed (Quesha/ decathlon a good bet?)
  • ampthill

Both teenagers currently Karrimor bags are dieing. They were under £30 quid from sports direct and have done well. Warm enough for a good nights sleep cheap enough not to worry about

My son is doing Dofe this summer starting at Easter, both will be camping with us for at least 14 nights this summer. So i’m happy to spend a little bit more than last time

These caught my eye as looking a good buy

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/5c-light-hiking-sleeping-bag-id_8242017.html

or maybe these

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/0-light-hiking-sleeping-bag-id_8242012.html

Your thoughts welcome as ever

Edukator
    Free Member

After the ones we bought failed to last a Summer tour we took them back and got replacements (a little reluctantly until we produced a receipt from only six weeks before). So, they’re lousy because the insulation breaks up but as you can get a replacement every six weeks they’re not so bad after all. In fact we opted to pay the extra for Lafumas. They were the next model lighter than your fist link, thicker insulation is probably less prone to breaking up.

We’ve got one excellent Decathlon bag, a down one from many moons ago.

ampthill

Thanks.

Glad I asked. To day in go outdoors we looked at some vango ones that seemed just the job.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    matt_outandabout

Vango ones are great for the money, as are rather (superb) Mountain Equipment star lights.

irc

For DofE where packed size and weight count you can’t beat down. £149 not cheap but good value?

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/rab-ascent-500-sleeping-bag-81410053?id_colour=98

ampthill

I’m on my second down bag in general love it. But mostly my son will be dosing on a campsite. I regret wearing out my down bag sleeping places where weight does’t matter. Plus the weight saving isn’t as big as it was.

The mountaib equipment bags look good as well

Chew
    Free Member

I regret wearing out my down bag sleeping places where weight does’t matter.

Down bags last 20+ years as long as you look after then. Never heard of one ‘wearing’ out?

ampthill

Both are fine at the foot end. But the down over the chest is just not the same any more. Its a bit clumpy and there seem to be less of it. I blame warm nights and sweating

My first bag an original rab 1000 did from say 17 until 28 when it was used alot. At least a couple of hundred nights. It was in the early days of RAB. I phoned to ask if they could do me an extra long. I actually spoke to RAB who had to turn the radio down. He was just in a room making bags

At 28 I bought a North Face superlight. It was straight off for a 6 month trip and was brilliant for that. But 20 years on its not the same

I need to pay someone to take the down out of the foot of the rab and put it onto the chest of mine and my wifes North Face bags

The Rab has been washed once by a commercial out fit with a giant drier. It didn’t help

gogg
    Free Member

Vango down on offer here 2-3 season bag for £112.50.

I’d have been over the moon if my dad had bought me seomthing like that when I was doing Scouts/DofE in the early 80’s with my Karrimor Annapurna II external framed rucksack.

ampthill

that does look tempting

I may try a few contacts in the industry and see if I can lever a deal on whatever I choose

mikewsmith
    Free Member

http://www.alpkit.com/skyehigh
    see when alpkit are geting more in?
    I went with a mountain equipment one about 14 years ago it’s had a hard life and needs refluffing a bit but it was great value. Have a look at a few proper outdoor shops for specials. For packing and carrying down wins. Most D of E kids are carrying 3x the weight they need to be.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

Tiso have a deal on the Rab Ascent just now Lightweight, warm and generally a decent enough bag at the price

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Cheapish sleeping bag needed (Quesha/ decathlon a good bet?)’ is closed to new replies.