Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Cheap(ish) roady wheel advice…
  • timothecimmerian

Morning,

My rear hub has gone on my stock wheels that came with my road bike so looking at replacing as a sensible upgrade. Budget is £150-200 and I’ve been looking at Fulcrum Quattro’s or Shimano RS31’s.

The Quattro’s are more expensive but will I see a benefit? Is there anything else that I must consider?

Advice is welcome!
    Thanks

scruff9252

Carbon clinchers from Aliexpress? My 38mm were around £230 all in from memory….

andyeez
    Free Member

Slightly over budget but I just got some Campag Zondas from Wiggle for £254.

timothecimmerian

Thanks both. These look good but are slightly over budget…£200 was more top end for me.

Northwind

I’ll not buy another Fulcrum product, they’re decent wheels but the parts availability (and price!) and customer service varies between awful and nonexistant, disaster of a company.

richardthird

That’s a good price on the Zondas above.

Fulcrum Racing 5s or Planet X AL30s

timothecimmerian

Cheers. I’ll take a look at the Planet X AL30’s.

Haze

timothecimmerian, where are you based?

I may have some Fulcrum Racing 5.5 in the next week or so if you’re willing to collect (West Mids)?

Mint condition, they’ll have done less than 10 mile…

Gary_M
    Free Member

Avoid the planet x wheels, from experience the bearings are rubbish. Bearings on my lasted around 500 miles – a few weeks commuting.

Just bought a set of Shimano r501’s from planet x for £59.99 for my commuter, I’ve had a few sets of these and they’re great for the money as a cheap disposable wheel. Looks like they’re £69.99 now.

Haze

Just to add to my post above (in case you’re interested) these are off a new build and will be available from Tuesday or Wednesday, whenever Parcel Force turn up.

Email in my profile…

hora
    Free Member

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WPFST30/fsa-team-30-wheelset

I’ve no idea how long they’ll last but they are still true after 200miles so far and stiff/take crap roads in their stride and feel ‘quick’.

willyboy
    Free Member

i’d get 105 hubs on mavic open pro’s from merlin for £225. They’ll outlast anything listed above.

(Or a set of aksiums).

Gary_M
    Free Member

i’d get 105 hubs on mavic open pro’s from merlin for £225. They’ll outlast anything listed above.

I usually wear the rims out before the hubs on cheap shimano wheels. Aksiums are good too though. But at the price I couldn’t pass on the shimano’s

joolsburger
    Free Member

I’ve got RS30’s on mine and they’ve been great. Stayed true for around 6 months of commuting and I’m over 16 stone. The bearings are still very good and easily serviceable cup and cones. As RS31 and 61’s are both in your budget from Ribble I’d take a look into those.

teamslug
    Free Member

Mavic Askiums are good. OEM on my bike. Rode them thru winter to now ,well over 1000 miles and still true and smooth.

http://www.merlincycles.com/mavic-aksium-s-wts-wheels-pair-2014-inc-tyres-58831.html

and i think they come with tyres and tubes…

Gary_M
    Free Member

yep I’ve also use RC30’s and various other reasonably priced shimano wheels and they’ve all been good.

robdob
    Free Member

I’ve just bought Ultegra hubs on Open Pros for £196 from Rose bikes. Lovely!!

joeegg
    Free Member

I’ve been using Aksiums for a couple of years with no problems at all.A bit heavy but i think that helped with some of the terrible roads they’ve been on in Spain.

beicmynydd
    Free Member

I just purchased a set of Planet X al30’s seem ok quite light for the price and tough also, according to the web site the bearings on the newest versions have been upgraded.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

+1 Planet-X AL30’s. No issue with the bearings on mine. Light for the price too at sub 1700g without skewers.

Or Superstarcomponents do similar wheelsets a bit lighter for sub £200.

timothecimmerian

Thanks all – sounds like a few good options within my budget then.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Cheap(ish) roady wheel advice…’ is closed to new replies.