Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • cheapish rear UST tyre ?
  • reggiegasket
    Free Member

I’ve previously run Halo Choir Masters in UST (2.3) from CRC for £22, which are both cheap with okay performance but CRC doesn’t seem to have any left.

Any ideas on sub£30 UST rears in 2.3ish width?

PlanetX has the Schwalbes cheap but no USTs I can see.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Have a lool at nextdaytyres.com

saladdodger
    Free Member

specialized tyres £22 a boot folding tubeless ready

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    reggiegasket
    Free Member

ta very much

any weblink salad dodger?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

google works you know

reggiegasket
    Free Member

thanks

jonnyv
    Free Member

Bontrager Mud X £20 J E James

reggiegasket
    Free Member

ta jonny. The Mud X is a tad narrow but they have the XR4 in 2.35 at £25 which is a candidate.

swisstony
    Free Member

all schwalbe ‘evolution’ tyres on planetx are tubeless

chunkypaul
    Free Member

jejames are doing cheap 2bliss tyres (think tubeless ready not UST) for £18.39

the purgatory 2.2 and the eskar 2.3 – tried them both, they seat up easy, perform as well as a Schwalbe Nobby Nic UST for grip and are spot on size wise

reggiegasket
    Free Member

mmm I saw that swisstony but I wasn’t sure if the ‘tubeless’ Schwalbes were as tough as a proper UST. I need something with a decent tough sidewall.

mboy
    Free Member

reggiegasket

I have a spare Bontrager XR4 2.2″ if you’re interested. Got ridden about 2 miles, until I realised it really doesn’t fit in the back end of my Maverick. I’ve got to buy something slightly smaller now (at 2.2″ the XR4 is enormous for its stated size, the 2.35’s are ridiculous!), wondering what to get myself.

Excellent tyre though, got one on the front as that fits fine still…

M6TTF
    Free Member

reggiegasket – Member
    ta jonny. The Mud X is a tad narrow but they have the XR4 in 2.35 at £25 which is a candidate.
    POSTED 40 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

+1 for mboy, I’ve got a set of 2.2 xr4s sat in my garage too, they’re frickin’ massive and started wearing the swingarm on my fuel ex. They only just cleared the fork brace too. God knows what they’re supposed to measure up against

peakprowler
    Free Member

M6TTF .. are you selling the XR4 tyres?

M6TTF
    Free Member

@peakprowler – sure, why not? What you thinking, where you based?

peakprowler
    Free Member

Based in the Peaks .. how about you?

M6TTF
    Free Member

In macc mate, mailed you.

househusband
    Free Member

Do you want proper UST – or ‘tubeless ready’..?! There is a difference you know!

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I want proper UST – hence my concerns about the ‘tubeless’ evolution Schwalbes. It’s for a 456 so the rear end gets some hammer and std tyres (run as tubeless) aren’t tough enough in the sidewall, but the USTs are fine.

I’ve sent you a mail mboy

spooky_b329

Reggie…tubeless ready does not mean standard tyres. It means tubeless tyres that are not entirely airtight, (so they are lighter and cheaper) but they rely on the sealant to prevent air seeping out through the carcass.

All Bonty tyres are tubeless ready. Air seeping out sounds bad but if you already use sealant, you won’t notice the difference 🙂

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I’m not fussed about seeping because I use sealant, as you say.

It’s the toughness of the sidewall that is my concern. USTs are fine, but std tyres are not tough enough. The question is whether ‘tubeless ready’ ones are tough enough.

househusband
    Free Member

The question is whether ‘tubeless ready’ ones are tough enough.

In my opinion, no; not for the heavier rider on rockier terrain.

mboy
    Free Member

Newer Bonty “tubeless ready” tyres (such as the XR4) have a tougher sidewall than first gen tubeless ready tyres (a la ACX, Jones XR and the Mud X’s)… They also have a VERY tall profile, I wouldn’t worry about slashing the carcass on them myself.

househusband
    Free Member

Newer Bonty “tubeless ready” tyres (such as the XR4) have a tougher sidewall than first gen tubeless ready tyres (a la ACX, Jones XR and the Mud X’s)… They also have a VERY tall profile, I wouldn’t worry about slashing the carcass on them myself.

Interesting.

I was put off Bontrager TLR tyres after slashing irreparably one of the tyres you mentioned.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘cheapish rear UST tyre ?’ is closed to new replies.