Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Cheapish non-carbon light hardtail frame?
  • pixelmix
    Free Member

Sadly can't afford another bike, but thinking about selling my Spesh Epic frame and putting the bits on a hardtail frame. Been looking at Scandal 26er (now slot dropout only), Merlin Malt 4 (although colour of frame wouldn't look great with white fox forks), Giant XTC (aluminium) etc. I like the rivette h6 too, but suspect it will be too pricey.

Any other suggestions? Would need to be £200 to £400, not carbon, and nice and light. Only an idea at the moment- need to decide if I can live without my epic as I do like it. I do however like the idea of less weight, more efficiency and less maintenance.

Mikkel
    Free Member

Kinesis Maxlight.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Had a look at Kinesis but wasn't a massive fan of the paintjobs. Prefer it fairly plain and simple.

carbon337
    Free Member

Weren't halfords selling boardman frames for 100 quid. I've just sold mine nice and light and well finished. Get the snobby looks on trails though

Mikkel
    Free Member

Thought they where quite simple, but i know what you mean, i dont buy a bike if i dont like the paint scheme.

This is how my kinesis looks

tinsy
    Free Member

If you want a budget race weight frame you was on the right track with the Scandal, I didnt want a slot dropout either so bought a 2nd hand one and had it powdercoated and some new graphics and was still inside of the new price, what the weight doesnt tell you is just how fast they are, I had a Titanium Inbred and they weighed in the same but the Scandal is just faster, puts any power you have to the wheel where the Ti ones BB had a lot more flex.

My first choice of frame was the scandium Lappierre Race but wasnt availiable as frame only.

Kinesis maxlight XC120 would be another good place to look.

Candodavid
    Free Member

Gorgeous!!!!!

Pipedream are doing an 853 sirius for £269 with sliding dropouts, looks amazing

cp

how about a be-one from chainreaction?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=35236

njee20
    Free Member

Why not carbon? I've got a cheap unbranded carbon frame on it's way from Hong Kong, they're popular in the States and on Weight Weenies, be interested to see what it's like! 1250g, £210 shipped.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback.

Mikkel – that Kinesis certainly looks better in the flesh than the website frame shost would suggest.

Encouraging to hear such good comments about the Scandal. Might be tempted to go for a slot drop and run a rear mech if it wasn't too tricky to remove the rear wheel. Means I could run singlespeed every now and again as a bonus.

Any thoughts on weight for these? I'm quite a small guy so frame weight is reasonably important.

Also, anyone seen a UK price for a Rivette H6? The Bike Chain used to have one in, but it isn't on the new site, and the Danish euros prices are pretty steep!

pixelmix
    Free Member

njee20 – that carbon does sound reasonable but I'm still a bit nervous of it after reading stories about Trek owners wearing a hole in the chainstay etc!

tinsy
    Free Member

njee20.. did you ever put a link up for that frame? I wouldnt mind a gander.

Pixelmix My 18" Scandal was bang on 3.5lbs on the kithcen scales, if you looking for a long term bike you really need the std dropout frame the slot doesnt have a replacable mech hangar, thats why I went 2nd hand.

njee20
    Free Member

My 9 year old Trek OCLV frame is still being ridden around despite plenty of epic chainsuck over the years.

Conversely have you seen Peter Poddy's steel 456 which cracked due to chainsuck?

If you want to go for sommat 'proven' the Kinesis would get my vote.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

The scandal is about 3.5 lbs depending on frame size, it's light and nimble. Removing the rear wheel with a mech is as easy if not easier than normal dropouts and they are a hell of alot of fun as a SS.

Mine.

karnali
    Free Member

i have a 16 scandal frame that i think was aout 3lbs on the spring balance when i weighed it. it light and responsive although i am tempted by one othe those pipedreams as i had soul a while back and it was lovely to ride.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

i am tempted by one othe those pipedreams

I've had a pipedream (mine wasn't 853, but that won't make any difference anyway), the scandal is a far better ride.

Smee
    Free Member

Rock Lobster Tig Team SL from Merlin – I dont think you will get better for the money.

flange
    Free Member

njee – would also be interested in a look at that cheap carbon frame if you have a link.

Mrs has a Rock Lobster 853 – lovely frame but the paint is appalling. Not sure about the TIG Team but it'd put me off.

Cheers

njee20
    Free Member

Dollar's got weaker since I bought: Clicky

If you search on 'carbon mtb frame' there's loads. Mine shipped on the 18th, arrived in the UK at 8 last night and had cleared customs by 10:30, hopefully be here in the next couple of days, can't really complain!

pixelmix
    Free Member

Thanks for all of the above. The Rock Lobster's did get a look before. Certainly quite smart in black. Definitely swinging towards a slot drop Scandal now – seems like a good weight for the cash. I've not broken a derailleur hanger yet (touch wood), but I suppose if I did, I could just demote it to dedicated singlespeed duties. Thanks for all of the advice. Any 16" pics of a 26er scandal built up? I'm 5ft 7 so reckon the 16" would fit best.

karnali
    Free Member

maybe worth an email to on-one i did when i was looking for mine and i seem to remeber they had some standard drop out ones coming in december, they found 4 in a box the day i emailed so i got one of those

thanks for the heads up ont he pipedream, i'll keep scandal for a while maybe save up for a new soul someday

thomthumb
    Free Member

I've not broken a derailleur hanger yet (touch wood), but I suppose if I did, I could just demote it to dedicated singlespeed duties.

no need.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Hmm, I'll bear that in mind tomthumb.

Apparently there probably won't be any more regular dropout Scandals (as the new carbon frame is aimed at those wanting a light frame with gears), but slot drop out scandals should be back in this month.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

+1 for Kinesis.

I've had mine (XC Pro2) for 3 years and it's a truly brilliant bike to ride. Used it for lots of racing, including the Transalp this year and it has been faultless.

Paint still looks as good as new, apart from the usual dings.

(Post-Transalp)

karnali
    Free Member

transalp must have been tough with no pedals:)

njee20
    Free Member

Paint still looks as good as new, apart from the usual dings.

So it should, it's about an inch thick! I couldn't get the mech hanger onto my Crosslight frame, nor the bottom bracket or the canti bosses as the paint was so thick!

stuartie_c
    Free Member

transalp must have been tough with no pedals:)

True, but you soon adapt your riding style. 😀

james
    Free Member

"Kinesis maxlight XC120 would be another good place to look"
    An XC2 would be lighter and cheaper as well as being designed around a 100mm fork. The XC120 would give a slightly slacker head angle If you wanted it?

The Kinesis XC Pro 2 looks a good bet. Sub £400 (I think?) and carbon seat stays

colande
    Free Member

for supreme cheapness surely it's gotta be a giant xtc,
    not that giant frames are cheap!!!! 🙂
    ten a penny, but v.light frames,
    there are loads on ebay
    just a quick look you could get a whole bike for £250,
    strip it down and sell off what you dont need

grtdkad

I sold my s-works epic a couple of years ago and bought a B1 KILLERBEE hardtail. Fully loaded with XTR and FSA carbon kit…on one of the tightest, lightest frames I have ever ridden.
    …one of the frames was on ebay recently for around 60 quid! for an x-fusion alloy frame of not much over 2lbs….ffs!
    Love mine, thrashing it a couple of times a week over t'ills.

paul_m

njee, would be interested to see what you think to the frame when it arrives…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

if you consider the second hand options, look at cannondale hard tails on ebay, ok the forks are pretty much worth less as they only fit cannondales, but my F500 is ridiculously fast and stiff. Not looking forward to getting back on a steel hardtail over Christmas, it'll be all soggy in comparison 🙁

pixelmix
    Free Member

grtdkad, that killerbee sounds interesting. Sure I have heard that name before in a thread somewhere. Have you got a link to any info for a nosey?

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Cheapish non-carbon light hardtail frame?’ is closed to new replies.