• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by tomd.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Cheapish dropper post
  • hooli

I have decided that I am after a dropper post, still not sure just how much it will get used to hoping to keep the cost down if possible.

Is there any point buying something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131409657292?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

or this from bikediscount:

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/exaform-eten-remote-hydraulic-drop-post-30%2C9mm-44685/wg_id-369

Or do I just buy a reverb and be done with it? Any other options I should be looking at?

letmetalktomark

Providing you are looking at 30.9mm or above then Reverb is a good call.

That said I have both a Reverb and a Giant Dropper and both work really well.

citizeninsane
    Free Member

If you’re looking for cheap and cheerful, the Tmars will do the job fine. Pretty much a gravity dropper clone. Plenty of people using them and easy to service. Got a friend with one and it does the job fine. Only got 3 positions, unlike the infinite adjustibility of the Reverb.

If you’re wanting to spend a bit more, Reverb is still a good choice. KS Lev seems to get good reviews too, but I’ve not used one myself.

tomd
    Free Member

I wouldn’t touch the TMars (again). Got the 2014 one and it seized upon the first hint of moisture. Needed stripped and serviced every ride. Utter junk. Folk seemed to have more luck with the pre 2014 ones. Not sure what the 2015 is like but I wouldn’t bother personally. It was £60 down the drain for me. Get a mate to buy one first if you must and see if it works.

drofluf
    Free Member

I’d echo 100% what tomd says!

Mine got stuck in the down position after 3 rides. I stripped it down, regreased and it last another few rides before seizing totally.

The trigger was also a PoS but it looks like they’ve changed that for the latest version.

Bought an RSP which I’m very happy with

wilko1999
    Free Member

Liking the look of the Eten, bargain price and has some layback which is essential for me. I currently use Dropzones on both my MTBs, albeit lever actuated. I’m looking to go remote and can’t convert the Dropzones. Might take a punt on an Eten at £83, very tempted

Stevelol
    Free Member

Get a second hand kind shock i950 (it has a different name now) or a gravity dropper. I’ve have an i950, for over 4 years, it has needed no new replacement parts besides a new remote, I have serviced it 3 times.

Gravity droppers are famous for their reliability but they’re a bit basic and look naff.

cakefacesmallblock

I’ve put a KS eTen on my g/fs bike. A very simple, nicely working, dropper, good vfm.
    With one exception. I don’t think the lever has quite sufficient ” throw” , it’s a bloody nightmare to get the post to lock out and at the same time allow it to move, particularly slide back up nicely.
    My g/f weighs all of 50 kgs wringin wet, yet the post will still drop 10 or 12mm over a couple of miles even on a fire road, with her just pedalling along.
    Adjust the cable any ‘slacker’ and it barely slides back up.
    So she is constantly, standing on the pedals and letting it lock back out at max extension. Another 3mm of leverage and all would be very good.

My own, Giant contact switch, is going into its fourth year now and although needs servicing two or three times a year and re- cabling, due to shitty muddy local conditions , works well, it has worn though and there is almost ten degrees of play from side to side now.
    Two mates with Reverbs have had issues and needed costly servicing.
    I will be putting another Giant one on my new bike in a few weeks.
    Just my few thoughts and experiences.

hooli

Good feedback, thanks.

I figured it may be £60 down the drain but thought it was worth checking first.

cakefacesmallblock – Has your giant always moved side to side? A mate said he has one and it has moved 1cm odd even from new which sounds odd to me.

cakefacesmallblock

hooli ! ….
    No it hasn’t , I’m not sure if they have altered the design, but basically the post and upper stantion are fluted, so that they slide, but can’t twist.
    Despite best efforts with tape and grease, to prevent muddy water getting into the post via the cable entry point and pivot for the actuator arm, some still gets in and it’s this which causes the wear more than anything.
    Frankly , I don’t notice the movement at all when riding seated, but it rattles like ‘ ell, post dropped, stood on the pedals, flying down rough stuff !
    At new , it maybe twisted a tiny bit, but we are talking minutes here, not degrees.
    As I said earlier, of all the posts I’ve seen, or used, it might be a bit ‘agricultural’ , but I will be getting another one.

EDIT.. What I would suggest though, is that mine maybe wasn’t well greased from the factory and I will certainly disassemble my new one and be sure from new. I reckon most of the wear started pre first service and of course some wear becomes quite a bit more , quite fast !

hooli

Great info, thanks again.

Nick

I picked up a Giant Switch SL for £134 from The Cycle Store, with Top Cash back it’s less than 130.

Seems good so far, can be stealth mounted (when I replace my BB I’ll route it that way), only 100mm drop, but is quite sufficient I think. 2 year warranty too.

Make sure you get a decent seat collar though, the post kept slipping on Saturday as I was still using my old quick release.

ads678

Just to counter the Tmars is a piece if shit argument. I’ve been using one for a couple of years and it’s been fine. Yes i’ve serviced a few times and modified it to accept a standard brake cable but it works fine with a bit of TLC.

No doubt a Reverb will be a lot nicer to use but for £60 the Tmars can be great if look after it.

BTW it takes about 10-15 minutes to service it.

tomd
    Free Member

Just to counter the Tmars is a piece if shit argument. I’ve been using one for a couple of years and it’s been fine. Yes i’ve serviced a few times and modified it to accept a standard brake cable but it works fine with a bit of TLC.

The 2014 ones are complete pieces of shit. It’s not an argument, it’s a fact. As I said above folk had more joy with the older ones with a slightly different design, these seem to work well with occasional maintenance. The 2015 is an unknown quantity but it’s worth the OP knowing about the somewhat suspect reliability of the brand.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Cheapish dropper post’ is closed to new replies.