Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Cheapest xx1 anyone?
  • pipiom
    Free Member

XTR starting to die and thinking of changing to XX1…..anyone know who’s doing the best deal ?

wwaswas

on-one seem to be doing so good deals on higher end SRAM kit at the moment. No idea if it’s what you want though!

pipiom
    Free Member

Full groupset and XD driver I’m afraid …eek!!

akira

Have you budgeted in new wheels/freehub? Oh ignore me. £650 seems about cheapest, have squiz on German sites though.

njee20
    Free Member

I’d consider a hybrid – XTR mech and shifters are cheaper – and you presumably like Shimano functionality as you have XTR at the moment?

Still need XD/cassette/chain/chainring.

I’d say Rose for XTR mech and shifter. On One for XX1 cranks (because for £100 they’re a bargain), Absolute Black/SRAM/Wolftooth/A N Other direct mount ring. Then a search on Google.de for the cheapest cassette/driver. IME prices are really volatile, I tracked them over a month or so about 18 months ago and they changed very frequently. Looks like Bike Discount right now – €249 (£182) for the cassette.

shredder
    Free Member

On advice from above ^ I have a XX1 / XTR hybrid set up “XXXTR”
    So amazing Shimano shifting shifter / rear mech married to XX1 cranks / cass. All the range but with sublime shifting.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

njee20 – Member

On One for XX1 cranks (because for £100 they’re a bargain)

Not really they are X1 cranks from what I can see which are heavier than SLX actually about the same weight as deore probably 10g lighter.

The new M9000 cranks are seriously light I think only Next SL are lighter.

njee20
    Free Member

Not really they are X1 cranks from what I can see which are heavier than SLX actually about the same weight as deore probably 10g lighter.

The new M9000 cranks are seriously light I think only Next SL are lighter.

XX1 cranks, £100. They also have X0 (same cranks different spider) and X1 (why you’d bother I don’t know) for exactly the same price.

M9000 arms/axle/spider are 472g. M980 were about 525g. Next SLs are about 470g including a spiderless ring. THM M3s are 400g for crank/axle/spider. Lightning (with spider) are 408g, or 362g without a spider – Wolf Tooth do a 68g direct mount ring for them, so 430g all in.

So… no, M9000 aren’t all that light, nor are Next SLs “the only thing lighter”.

jimoiseau
    Free Member

Sram 11s cassettes for 209€ here FYI.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

njee20 – Member

XX1 cranks, £100. They also have X0 (same cranks different spider) and X1 (why you’d bother I don’t know) for exactly the same price.

M9000 arms/axle/spider are 472g. M980 were about 525g. Next SLs are about 470g including a spiderless ring. THM M3s are 400g for crank/axle/spider. Lightning (with spider) are 408g, or 362g without a spider – Wolf Tooth do a 68g direct mount ring for them, so 430g all in.

So… no, M9000 aren’t all that light, nor are Next SLs “the only thing lighter”.

AH sorry for some reason when you actually go on to the cranksets section of their site they didn’t show up.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/c/q/components/drivetrain/crank-sets

njee20
    Free Member

Weird! Probably means they don’t actually have any. I didn’t check, just noticed them when I scanned the list of sale items last night.

ndthornton
    Free Member

That seems like an unbelievable price – hard to believe its true.
    finger was hovering – nope just upgraded forks – seatpost – pedals. 11 speed will have to wait

frogstomp

Just ordered a set, so we’ll see..

NB: The £99 ones are the narrow Q-Factor only.

njee20
    Free Member

Aah fair enough, and they are very narrow.

nickdavies

Is the narrow Q-factor an issue on most hardtails? Saw those and fancy a punt on an XX1 chainset but it’s £135 for the standard Q factor.

adsh
    Free Member

Umming and aahhing myself over moving from XTR M980 triple and 11-36 to M9000 right shifter, with XX1 cassette and M9000 mech.

Any idea of the weight saving from ditching a shifter, full length cable, XTR front mech and moving to this set up? Will keep the M980 cranks but with NW as I have Stages.

nixon
    Free Member

@adsh: I’d reckon you’d save around 300-350g including the chainrings you’d be dropping.

frogstomp

I think the answer is.. it depends!

Assuming you have 168mm Q-Factor cranks currently.. rotate them round so a crank arm is in line with the chain-stay – if you have more than 6mm (168-156 / 2) clearance between crank and stay you’ll probably be ok (assuming the 2 cranks are roughly the same thickness at that point).

pipiom
    Free Member

Just a thought: can I fit a decent (superstar??)single 30t front ring to my perfectly good XTR cranks; ditch front mech,shifter and cables;buy new XTR cassette and chain; lastly can I then fit one of these expander 42 tooth first gear sprockets to the new XTR cassette??

This would then almost reflect the xx1 config that I have on my other bike.(minus the 10tooth top gear)

This way I’d ditch a bit of weight, and it wouldn’t be as expensive.

Any ideas re makes models of said bits if it’s feasible.

pipiom
    Free Member

Just a little bump cos I need to do something soon

njee20
    Free Member

You can get a 10 speed xtr cassette and fit an expander yes. You can use a Superstar chainring unless you’ve got M985 Race double cranks, in which case it’s an 88mm bcd and Wolftooth are about the only option IIRC.

Dougal
    Free Member

Next SL with 32T ring is 439g.

There are lighter options, but I wouldn’t trust the THM or the Lightning not to break as eating implements, never mind on my trail or XC bike.

njee20
    Free Member

S-Works cranks are Lightning. They spec them on 150mm travel bikes. I’d have more faith in them than RF which have well document problems with failures (admittedly not Next SLs).

Talking of stupid fragile kit, how’s that MSC…? 😉

wolfenstein
    Free Member

what the cheapest you found for XX1 by far OP? also hunting for the same at the moment..bike-discount.de seems the cheapest as groupset… but that bloody Easton XD driver I will also need really really upsets my bank account balance 😡

pipiom
    Free Member

I’m crap at fixing stuff so it would be LBS fitted, I’m not going to get the full job done for much under £800-£1000…..depending upon who buys the kit…….I only looked at a few sites (CRC…Planet x etc)then realised that I haven’t got a clue what I’ll need

slimjim78
    Free Member

I too am looking to be pointed in the right direction for the best Shimano/SRAM 1×10 / 1×11 pricing

So far on this thread, the On-One Xo cranks at £99 look spot on, but is there a better all round groupset deal for say, XT or similar?

All threads are leading me to bike-disount.de.. any other shouts?

apologies to OP if pinching thread..

pipiom
    Free Member

Ok guys,nearly ready to pull the trigger,one last question: long shot but is it possible to achieve a 10tooth top gear sprocket when going for the 42t expander option?

njee20
    Free Member

So far on this thread, the On-One Xo cranks at £99 look spot on, but is there a better all round groupset deal for say, XT or similar?

Define ‘deal’. XT at retail is cheaper than you’ll find XX1 discounted. Does that make it a better deal, or just cheaper?

You kinda need to decide if you’re prepared to go for XX1 (or X01 or X1), XT isn’t really the same thing.

long shot but is it possible to achieve a 10tooth top gear sprocket when going for the 42t expander option?

Not really. Leonardi Factory were meant do be doing a 9-42 10 speed cassette, but never actually seen one. Trickstuff exhibited something too, but again never seen it in the flesh.

pipiom
    Free Member

Cheers for that: going for 30 chainring- Shimano XTR cassette- hope extender and chain.

The Tallboy is 1 year old now (that’s quite old for me) so I’m looking to get there or thereabouts for minimal outlay.

I like the XX1, but in the Manx slop XTR wins hands down for reliability anyway.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Njee, I see your point. I guess I’m refering to ‘is there an XT or Shimano deal that is so good it simply knocks Sram outta the park’?

In essence, I’ve used a 1×9 SRAM X0 set up for several years and loved it. Not overly keen on looks (not performance last time I used) of Shimano gear. I did however fall in love with XT disc breaks on a trial run last year so could potentially be swayed.

I’ve seen what looks a cracking X0 (v2?) 10sp groupset deal at CRC for around £240 and am wondering why everyone seems I ignore X0. Is it suddenly inferior to the likes of XT? I’m now thinking of going for X0 plus a t-rex 40t expander to give the range id like. I’m new to 11sp arena but judging by groupset prices I don’t think I can justify the outlay.

I guess my question should really be, barring a bargain 11sp deal, what’s the very best value/performance 10sp set up?

(might be a good time to admit that the 650b wheels I have a deposit down on have Hope hubs with I believe a Shimano freehub?)

njee20
    Free Member

I guess my question should really be, barring a bargain 11sp deal, what’s the very best value/performance 10sp set up?

Again though, that’s subjective… I’d say an XX 11-36 cassette with XTR mech and shifter. But an XT cassette with expander would give more range. It would weigh more though, but it would cost far less.

That said, I wanted the range of XX1, so an entire XT groupset for £50 wouldn’t have enticed me, YMMV.

The thing with XT et al is that you don’t really want a groupset – you don’t want a front mech or a triple chainset, you’ll need (/want) an expander and a narrow wide ring etc, so whilst this is about 1/3 the cost of an XX1 groupset it’s a chunk heavier, it doesn’t have the range and it has a load of parts you don’t want. It’s £400 cheaper though, so does that “knock SRAM outta the park?”. For me? No, it’s something totally different. For you? Maybe.

might be a good time to admit that the 650b wheels I have a deposit down on have Hope hubs with I believe a Shimano freehub?

Assuming they’re new you can possibly still get them supplied with XD body, if not you can buy one separately. It’s potentially an additional cost though, which may make the “value” of a 1×10 transmission more appealing.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Thanks for the info.
    I’ll admit, I’m out of touch. I didn’t even realise until this week that you could build hybrid drivetrains.

Being a SRAM fanboi, I’m currently tempted by a 1080(?) cassette and X0 1×10 groupset, with maybe a set of them on-one xx1(?) £99 cranks and b/b.

I realise it’s a bit heavier than 11sp set up, but when I smack myself in the face and come to my senses I realise that I can’t justify £200+ cassettes no matter how lovely.

What’s the consensus on the current x0 range?

njee20
    Free Member

Too many variables. The popularity of expanders suggests plenty find it inadequate. I happily ran 1×10 for years with a standard 11-36 (with a 36t ring), and would do so again. So, maybe.

slimjim78
    Free Member

News flash, just spotted discounted x1 xx1 and x01 groups on Evans website.
    I’m due to take out a ride to work voucher with Evans next month so if I plumped for one of these, I’d in theory saw at least another 32% (plus additional cash back), whilst spreading the cost over a year.

Might be a go’er for me. Pending XD driver suitability and cost. Now I just need to workout which version(?!) . I’m not a ‘gravity rider’, so I should exclude xo1, right?…?

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Cheapest xx1 anyone?’ is closed to new replies.