• This topic has 16 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by uwe-r.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Cheapest way to use a mobile for data only?
  • uwe-r
    Free Member

So, I want to use an Iphone for a couple of specific apps, Strava, a Mapping / GPS app, general browsing etc. I use my work phone for everything else but as it’s a work phone it is a bit shit and I have an unlocked Iphone sat around that I might as well use!

So I thought I’d be able to get a sim only deal or pay as you go no bother but the big networks (for 1 gig of data) are looking for c£15-£20 a month for 12 months. I could get a phone thrown in for not much more. So are the cheaper providers just as reliable for using GPS type apps – don’t want to go cheap and find it useless? Any recommendations?

cp

Giffgaff, 10 quid a month on effectively a rolling month by month basis. You get 1gb for that.

molgrips
    Free Member

I got a dongle for £5/mo from EE as an existing customer. I bet you’d be able to use it in a phone data only.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Cammer
    Free Member

I recently ordered a free payg EE sim, you have to choose a pack with the calls/texts but when it arrived I topped up a fiver and just selected the 500mb data option.

EE’s online account management seems pretty poor but hoping I can just top up for data allowance again next month.

miketually
    Free Member

I pay about £12 a month for Sim-only on Three, with 2 gig of data.

If you’re not using the phone often, a PAYG SIM where you’re charged a set rate for a day if you use any data might be cheapest? I’ve not looked recently, but they were about 50p a day for days where you used data; they make sense if you’re mainly in places with WiFi and so only very rarely needed mobile data.

Stoner
    Free Member

3 do 12gb,12 months validity, for £70 ish

seosamh77
    Free Member

gigabags, data only, £5 – 500MB, £7.50 – 1GB expire after a month though, and you’ll need to buy again.

https://giffgaff.com/gigabags

jambalaya
    Free Member

Three was about £18 for unlimited data/calls/texts. That’s the contract I have for my main phone.

jon1973
    Free Member

3 payg – minimum top is £10 which equates to 1gb of data (1p / mb) + the 150mb they give you free with any top up – that’s 4G as well if your phone is compatible. Plus it doesn’t expire.

texts are 2p, calls are 3p/min

They also have add-ons which you can use abroad (selected countries) at no extra cost, which expire after a month. I think the £15 give you unlimited data, plus minutes and texts. This allowance get used up before your top up cash. I typically buy a top up before I go on hols.

Cougar

Do you actually need a data plan at all? GPS doesn’t require data, and if you’re only browsing from home etc you could hook it onto the Wi-Fi.

Or, anything stopping you sticking the work SIM in the iPhone and using that exclusively instead?

crofts2007
    Free Member

Check TPO out for sim only deals, monthly rolling contracts, piggyback EE so pretty good data coverage.
    https://www.thepeoplesoperator.com/pay-monthly#choose-your-deal

CountZero

Cougar – Moderator
    Do you actually need a data plan at all? GPS doesn’t require data, and if you’re only browsing from home etc you could hook it onto the Wi-Fi.

Having a SIM allows the GPS to ping cell towers which improves GPS accuracy; assisted GPS is what it’s usually called.
    I’ve not tried using GPS without a SIM alongside a phone with a SIM to see if there’s a significant difference between them.
    I’ll try to remember to take my old iP5 out and try Viewranger or UK Map alongside my 6+, see if they match.

ourmaninthenorth

TalkTalk. £12 a month, unlimited data.

(Reports self for astroturfing)

breadcrumb

Virgin 12 month contract- £12 unlimited text and calls and 1gb data.

Uses EE masts so pretty good signal in most places (H+).

geoffj
    CraigW
    Free Member

Having a SIM allows the GPS to ping cell towers which improves GPS accuracy; assisted GPS is what it’s usually called.

Assisted GPS doesn’t really improve accuracy, its more about getting a faster fix. ie using the cell towers to get the approx location, which makes it quicker to get the accurate position from GPS. And you can use wifi for this, ie switch on GPS before leaving your house, then it can get the approx location and download the latest GPS almanac.

uwe-r
    Free Member

Thanks all. I went virgin for £12 a month rolling. I can up it and down as I go so not tied to anything. Seems the way to go.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Cheapest way to use a mobile for data only?’ is closed to new replies.