Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Cheapest way to record a run?
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I used to run a lot, but haven’t for about 10 years. I started again last week and did 1.5 miles Monday, Tuesday and Thursday followed by a 5k Parkrun on Saturday.
    I find running deathly boring and the only thing that keeps me going is timing myself. Before, I used to time myself over a set first mile and that was about it, but now I’d like to record on Srava. I’m doing that now with my phone, literally holding it. This obviously isn’t practical in the long run (sorry….)
    So what’s the cheapest way of recording a run? I’m thinking something watch-like but all I want is a stopwatch and the ability to upload a GPS track to Strava.
    I could get an armband thingy for my phone but I was wondering what else there was?

stumpy01

Cheapest would be a £5 armband for your phone…

jam-bo

I prefer a waistband for running with a phone.

Or there was a garmin watch for £40 on the classifieds a day or so ago.

surfer
    Free Member

A gps is the easiest way (I could never run with a phone on my arm) and they are coming down in price. Before gps we just used to estimate distance the time ourselves around the same routes. We used to run a 7.? Loop and sub 40 mins was the target and a club loop which you had to run within an inch of your life to break 55 mins was the “club 10” you can then upload them on strava manually..Not exact but for the purpose of training very effective.

leffeboy

Wear a cycling shirt with a back pocket. Stick it in that

Bregante

I’ve got an immaculate Garmin Forerunner 305 which is being replaced with something new and shiny from Father Christmas. No heart rate strap but I think I’ve still got the box. Works perfectly (used it today). Would let it go for £35.

scotroutes

leffeboy – Member
    Wear a cycling shirt with a back pocket. Stick it in that

+1

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Seems Garmin Forerunner 10s are cheap used. Can I upload direct to Strava with one?

CraigW
    Free Member

Seems Garmin Forerunner 10s are cheap used. Can I upload direct to Strava with one?

Forerunner 10 is nice simple/cheap option, pretty small and light.

Yes, you can upload to Strava. Either use the Garmin Express software to upload to Garmin Connect, and set it to automatically copy to Strava. Or just do a manual upload on Strava, and pick the right FIT file.

brooess
    Free Member

I you have a Garmin Edge 200 or similar GPS for your bike then stick that in your pocket…

YoKaiser
    Free Member

If you have a garmin bike computer you can macguyver a quarter turn mount onto a watch strap quite easily.

Cougar

I used Runkeeper on a smartphone. You can play music and it interrupts at intervals to tell you how you’re doing.

I’ve got a ForeRunner, but haven’t run since I got it.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I have no Garmin or any other GPS products. I just track rides on my phone but there’s always somewhere to put it on a bike!
    I just think it would bounce about in a jersey pocket tbh.
    I’ll either get a used something or other or a cheap armband I think.
    Thanks for the tips though. 🙂

leffeboy

Its fine in a jersey pocket. That’s what I use and it means I can listen to podcasts at the same time to relieve the boredome

AndyRT
    Free Member

I hate running, but it’s good for me.

The more I do it, the less I like it,

But it’s good for me…

Get up you lazy BEEEEP!

Just sharing my morning mantra. Doesn’t work, so anyone got a better one?

molgrips
    Free Member

Smartphone in a flip belt or similar. Armbands are shite.

Bregante, may be interested in that.

rickmeister

Running you say…

I find a calender and biro more than adequate.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Why do I read that as “record a nun” ?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Endomondo has an option to “coach” you, will announce the distance splits. I can hear my phone if it’s in the camel back so for a run you just need a pocket (with a zip) ?

cookeaa

Does it have to be a GPS log every run?

You could go a bit ‘old school’ i.e. use the timer on your watch; press start when you set off, stop when you get home, plot the route on google maps to get the distance you travelled… better yet if you’ve already run it with your phone, you already know the distance… You can manually enter it into strava if necessary.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Cheapest way to record a run?’ is closed to new replies.