Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Cheapest way to go 15mm front wheel
  • matlockmeat
    Free Member

I need a new set of forks. Current ones have broke.

Trying to replace like for like is seriously limiting my choice so.
    Current for is 26″, QR 1.125 steerer.

So I’m thinking of getting a new hub/wheel that will allow me to get some forks with a 15mm axle. This gives me a much wider choice of forks.

Are there any cheap wheels/hubs that are 15mm. My current QR hub can’t be converted.

Thanks

nach
    Free Member

Novatech/Superstar Switch (same hub apparently) front hubs are pretty cheap, run on sealed bearings, and take adapters for QR, 15mm or 20mm.

I’m not sure which Novatech the Switches are copied from, because they make a lot of different ones.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

what are your current forks? pointless suggesting some £500 Fox’s if you have RS TK32’s or something

julianwilson
    Free Member

Thread on here recently mentioning how cheap secondhand 26″ forks and wheels are getting these days now everyone is all about the bigger wheelsizes.
    Post something up on ‘wanted’ section of classifieds, there will be lots of folk willing to offload cheap ‘old’ wheels and forks.
    You will have much more choice of your frame can accept a tapered steerer fork too.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+1 we need a budget on the fork to answer this.

nickdavies

How long? Seems to be steerer tube will have a more limiting factor – still plenty of 100mm 9mm 1 1/8ths about seems to be harder to find 15mm and non tapered.

Merlin have new reba’s as you are now for £270 or xc 32’s for £140. Can’t see any 15mm non tapered on there.

nach
    Free Member

Reading comprehension is so poor on the internet nowadays.

simondbarnes

Indeed!

phiiiiil

I did something similar last year and rebuilt the wheel with an XT front hub; it was less than £20 IIRC. I reused the spokes as they were very similar in flange diameter. I’ve built a couple of wheels before but never an asymmetrical one like a disc hub, but it wasn’t that hard and has been fine since.

julianwilson
    Free Member

nach – Member

Que ❓

simondbarnes

Que

Poster asks for cheap 15mm wheel choices, 3 people completely ignore this and start talking forks 🙂

Northwind

Swapping hubs can make things pretty complicated, if you want to reuse the spokes it limits options and if you don’t then you end up spending most of the price of a new wheel. So unless the rim’s really good there’s a fair chance it makes sense to buy a new or used wheel.

Pro 2 with the rim of your choice is always going to be a decent option- they hold value well, they fit anything… Superstar do some decent options too and lots of choice. And used, 26 inch prices have crashed. (a lot of 26 inch wheels are basically now worth what the hubs are worth)

(possibly a slight detail- if you want something chunky, I have a Flow on Pro 2 for sale… Well used and a bit tired looking but in really good working order)

nach – Member

I’m not sure which Novatech the Switches are copied from

Probably not copied, they’re most likely novatec hubs rebadged.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Cheapest way to go 15mm front wheel’ is closed to new replies.