Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Cheapest way to get me and a bike to New Zealand.
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

My mate has some tickets for the Rugby world cup next year. Thinking about going over and seeing him.

Also his wife is an ex pro DH’er so we’re gonna get some biking in too. 🙂

Its been so long since I’ve booked long haul flghts I can remember what’s the best way to get details of cheap flights, anyone help?

Has anyone done this? what can I learn from your experiences of travelling to NZ with a bike?

cp

go via the states rather than singapore/the east – you get a lot more luggage allowance and can get the bike in it.

Apart from the flight comparison websites, it’s always worth checking with the airlines direct. http://www.airnewzealand.co.uk/ goes via the states.

GW
    Free Member

petefromearth

i did a cycle tour round NZ a few years ago. i flew BA and Cathay Pacific (same group)

a good bike bag is probably worth it unless you’re travelling about like i was

i used a cardboard box so i could dispose of at the airport. somewhere along the line (Hong Kong i think) it was ripped in half! surprisingly though, there was no damage to the bike and nothing missing, so someone must have taken a bit of care

Bushwacked
    Free Member

I’ve got access to a bike bag so all sorted on that front 🙂

petefromearth

good point about the luggage allowance – i ended up having to travel very light, wear lots of clothes on the plane etc etc

BigJohn

Get him to borrow a bike for you.

slimtubing
    Free Member

Flights are cheapest generally around september time but get in quick as RWC will see loadsa people heading over here all looking to try and to what you are doing, get onto it now ,try Trailfinders, my dad frequently uses them and pays around 800 quid for returns via singapore.

tang
    Free Member

trailfinders have been great for all our asian/aus flights, really good staff who have gone the extra mile a few times for us.

kaiser
    Free Member

IME Trailfinders are no longer particularly competative price wise and rely on people remembering when they were .

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Cheapest way to get me and a bike to New Zealand.’ is closed to new replies.