Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Cheapest way to formally end a marriage
  • zzjabzz
    Free Member

It’s been nearly eight years since my wife and I separated, but we never got divorced. I want to formally end it now as sometimes it can be a bit awkward when asked what my marital status is etc.
    It would be a non-contested divorce, there is no house, no savings, the children are grown up. We both have other relationships, both want the divorce and we get on OK.
    So, I’m just looking for the cheapest possible option. Has anyone here done this? What am I looking at total costs?

Thanks…

perchypanther
    Free Member

Patio. A few hundred quid tops.

gobuchul
    Free Member
    trailwagger
    Free Member

same situation , without the timescale.

costs – £5k

P-Jay
    Free Member

£37 or £5k… toughie that.

zzjabzz
    Free Member

DIY divorce £37

Thanks, I have looked at this place. It seems there are court costs on top of the £37. I was wondering if anyone had an idea of what the total costs would be.

DezB
    Free Member

I don’t think you even need to pay “Quickie Divorce Online”‘s fees.
    Get the divorce petition yourself and submit to the county court.
    My ex did it, so don’t ask me details! 🙂 I’m sure google can help though.
    Court fees may have been in the region of £400. But my memory isn’t that good and as I say, she paid it.

Dickyboy

It might have been 20yrs ago but even with kids to take into account our amicable divorce was only a few hundred quid through a solicitor.

hairylegs
    Free Member

https://www.gov.uk/divorce

Simple as that 🙂

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

zzjabzz
    Free Member

Oh, it looks like the court fee is £550, but I think I will be exempt from paying the full amount due to a low-ish income.

Thanks.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I was just about to say £550.

Also look at https://www.wikivorce.com/divorce/ for their forums and also legal services if you do need them.

xora

Get divorced in Scotland, because I’m sure the court fees for mine were around £35. (looked it up its now £48 still a bargain).

DezB
    Free Member

Did you see this bit on the gov website:

You may be able to use the new online divorce service.

Find out if you are eligible by either emailing
    Divorce_Reform_Pro@justice.gov.uk or calling 0300 303 0642

Ewan
    Free Member

Make sure you get a financial agreement in place as well. Even if you’re all fine now, you could be impacted by future changes in circumstances.

We drafted an agreement based on some examples on line, I then gave it to a solicitor who rewrote it into something official – judge stamped it. With solicitor fees that bit probably cost about 400 quid. Excluding the mountain of cash i had to give to the ex obviously!

My number 1 tip would be to ensure that you’re the petitioner, this lets you control the pace of proceedings and makes sure things chivy along ok. Sounds like you’re both on good terms, so perhaps ensure that whoever is most organised is the petitioner.

Also when you submit the forms, don’t put a solicitor as your point of contact (they’ll charge you for this) – put yourself – you can always show a solicitor documents you get sent should you need to.

muzz
    Free Member

Hello.

I live in Scotland. My experience was that I waited till my daughter was 16 and it cost me buttons, about 100 quid. £70 if that was for a lawyer to sign a piece of paper.

Crucially, there was no outstanding issues with her. Amicable. No life insurance or all that complex stuff to sort out, just an agreeance to 50/50 on the house.

IHN

My previous wife and I got divorced for, I think, nothing. Just filled in forms and sent them off. No children though, if that’s the difference

taxi25
    Free Member

Make sure you get a financial agreement in place as well. Even if you’re all fine now, you could be impacted by future changes in circumstances.

Not sure the Op needs this. Grown up children no shared assets, both gone their seperate ways for the last 8yrs. What could change ?

Ewan
    Free Member

Not sure the Op needs this. Grown up children no shared assets, both gone their seperate ways for the last 8yrs. What could change ?

Lottery win? Inheritance? Claim on the OPs pension for the time when they were together?

Whilst they’re still married, everything is a marital asset to be divided up.

organic355
    Free Member

I am in Scotland and mine is costing the best part of £1500! ….however we have a child under 16 (4), otherwise it would have been a DIY internet job as its uncontested.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Ewan’s right, you need a consent order to safeguard yourself (and her). £200 is cheapest I’ve seen it.
    Just going through mine, still, after 2.5 years. Had to relieve my solicitor of her duties and am representing myself for now in discussions with the ex’s solicitor. Will get legal help for the sign-off tho’.

There was a story recently of a bloke who got tapped for a fortune 20+ years post-divorce as they didn’t get a consent order…..

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I’ve just done this. Court costs are 550, that’s fixed no matter what you do. You then need to do your own legal bits of filing all the right petitions etc. To get the decree nisi the the decree absolute and make sure you get it all right or it get sent back to be redone. Now, I don’t know how hard that bit is, because you can pay a solicitor £600 to take care of it all. Then one day you get a decree absolute through the post.
    So…in answer to your questions £1150

LadyGresley
    Free Member

I did mine this year, just the court fee costs of £550, dead simple to do, all necessary forms are online, along with guidance notes.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

3 years ago mine cost £1k. About £500 in court fees and £500 for some solicitor advice and get a financial order drawn up.
    One thing I’ve not mentioned is approx 60% of the equity in the house, but such is the price of freedom and future happiness!

fossy

Minimise a solicitor. One of our friends did it herself (legal background) and they did it fairly quickly, and even had a bottle of fizz to celebrate after (drifted apart).

The other two friends, the blokes have traded in for a 20 year younger models, despite their wives being attractive. Male menopause eh ? Total mess and solicitors taking a huge part of what’s left.

pondo

Reconciliate..? #justsayin 🙂

DickBarton

In Scotland, if kids are all over 16 then it should cost 250 quid in total if everything has been agreed beforehand. If kids under 16, it could be 1500 each.

oikeith

I was in my local WH Smiths few months back and noticed they sold a divorce pack, I think it was around £15, no idea of process or further costs, I just picked it up and waved it at the wife for a laugh!

Found a link and I remembered the cost! https://www.whsmith.co.uk/products/separation-and-diy-divorce-kit-valid-in-england-wales-and-scotland/90009198

IHN

£550 court fees, have they been in place for a while? I definetly didn’t pay anything when Me and MrsIHN1 divorced in 2010.

Then again, she did all the paperwork, I just got stuff to sign in the post, maybe she paid. It was her that wanted out…

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

yes, she would have paid, probably thought it was too much of a pain to ask you for the money. With her as the petitioner, in was down to her to pay, She could ask you for half but to try to obtain it, would have a load of other cost and hassle. The nice thing to do would be to offer her half

zzjabzz
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies folks.

I think I can download the petition forms and get a reduction on court fees due to being on < 20k.

I was more worried about a possible claim on my parents house when the inevitable happens, but I guess that’s the same predicament for her?

I’ll have to get a bit more advice…

Ta.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I was more worried about a possible claim on my parents house when the inevitable happens, but I guess that’s the same predicament for her?

that’s why you need the financial agreement.

scotroutes

Yeah – you need the agreement to cover future inheritance, pensions etc.

FWIW I had to agree not to make a claim on a large part of Lincolnshire 😡 😆

DezB
    Free Member

I think it’s – once the divorce is through she has no claim, but until then…

scotroutes

Nah – there can be residual impacts, pension certainly needs to be factored in.

DezB
    Free Member

Pretty sure they (women) can’t claim on pension once divorced.

RichPenny
    Free Member

I think you’re wrong Dez, but I’m not sure either. The best way to get it squared off is to get the Financial Order written up and agreed. Mine had to go to court as 1st judge thought it too fair to me, but normally they are simple to process according to my solicitor. Think I paid about £400 for FS, plus court fees for the divorce.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Cheapest way to formally end a marriage’ is closed to new replies.