Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • cheapest vehicle for a 18yr old to insure?
  • taka
    Free Member

hi my vans just eaten its own engine and I’m back in the market for another vehicle I’m 18 with a years driving but no no claims what cars/vans should i be looking at? btw I’m a builder so boot space is better

reedspeed
    Free Member

From experience with my two,keep under a 1.2 & nothing that says gti,sport,turbo etc etc & summert cheep cos they will crash trust mi,it’s part of the learning process !..

trail_rat
    Free Member

Forget vans

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    seavers
    Free Member

Don’t forget vans. Bedford Rascal.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Indeed, Rascals are super cheap to insure and run. Bit of a shed and the engine’s a bit dodgy and a pain to get to but cheap.

RustyMac

Some of the vauxhall and fiat vans/car come with 1.3l engines things like the Astra van fiat dolbo may be cheaper to insure

MoreCashThanDash

Even with a small engine, avoid anything that is regularly chavved up – Saxos, 106s etc

Drac

Soft Top Bedford Rascal, mmmmm baby!

nealglover
    Free Member

Forget vans

In my experience (from when I was that age), a small engined work van was far cheaper to insure than any type of car.

Even now, I pay a lot less for my 2.5 TDi (150bhp) Multivan than I do for a 1.4 Yaris.

And the value of the van is double what the car is worth too.

misterfrostie
    Free Member

Series 2 land rover. Tax exempt and 80 quid a year fully comp.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Opposite in my experiance ( im 26 so possibly more recently ) same vehicle with windows was half the price of a van

Cheapest when i was young was anything diesel – but that loop hole seems to be shut

misterfrostie hearing you loud and clear but not cheap for the kids either – im 125 a year for an early ninety

robido

try a fordson major with a trailer tax exempt £38 insurance and runs on red diesel

peterfile
    Free Member

what sort of prices are you being quoted?

Admiral have offered me a BMW 330i or 530i or Mercedes CLK320 for about £1,200 fully comp as a new driver. I thought that was pretty good considering they are fairly big engines for a new driver (insurance groups 17 and 18).

I’m 31 mind you, and I did stick down my middle aged mother as a named driver which took the quote down a fair bit. Have you tried that? I’d prefer if you didn’t use my mum, but some other 50something female driver will do 😉

nealglover
    Free Member

Opposite in my experiance ( im 26 so possibly more recently ) same vehicle with windows was half the price of a van

My T4 Multivan is my current van.

Although being a Multivan, it does have windows.

So maybe that’s an idea for the OP. look for a cheap VW caravelle or similar.
    Insured as a sensible people carrier, but with the “boot space” of a van for work duties.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

There isn’t an answer – depends on the sex, location, car, insurer – any combination can vastly alter premiums.

BrickMan

seat arosa 1.2 petrol, or diesel (any) or the lupo equiv is the same but 1 group higher (on the older 20abcdef system, still havent’ got my head around the new 40/45 group system).

taka
    Free Member

I’ve got a 1.7l vauxhall combo van atm ive had a series 3 landrover a v8 discovery and a pug 106 but recently insurance has gone stupid I’m lucky to get a quote under 4k on anything my insurance is currently £2700 full comp and putting my mum on as a named driver raises the price by £600!

br
    Free Member

I’ve got a 1.7l vauxhall combo van atm ive had a series 3 landrover a v8 discovery and a pug 106 but recently insurance has gone stupid I’m lucky to get a quote under 4k on anything my insurance is currently £2700 full comp and putting my mum on as a named driver raises the price by £600!

Jesus wept, £2700! Kinda makes my £213 comp cw business cover for a 535i ‘criminally’ cheap.

But since you are a builder have you not got it as a business policy plus costs at gross earnings rather than net?

yunki
    Free Member

taka
    Free Member

no its registered as social and commuting to a single place of work because i drive to my bosses house and go with him in his motor

mikewsmith
    Free Member

bike

coffeeking
    Free Member

In my experience (from when I was that age), a small engined work van was far cheaper to insure than any type of car.

Even now, I pay a lot less for my 2.5 TDi (150bhp) Multivan than I do for a 1.4 Yaris.

And the value of the van is double what the car is worth too.

That’s really interesting to me because I wanted a van but the only thing that put me off was the fact that the insurance was stupendously high in comparison with an estate car with a 2 litre turbo engine. I never know how these insurance companies work!

toby1

Would an old Vectra estate be hard to insure? you pick them up for beans so provided you can get cover on it it might work out – and it’s hardly a hot hatch.

To be honest though, insurance isn’t likely to be cheap for a long time, if you are under 27ish male and want to drive anything!

br
    Free Member

no its registered as social and commuting to a single place of work because i drive to my bosses house and go with him in his motor

Get a Scooter then, with racking 🙂

peterfile
    Free Member

Jesus wept, £2700! Kinda makes my £213 comp cw business cover for a 535i ‘criminally’ cheap.

b r, what’s the 5 series like as a bike car? Can a bike go in the boot?

DakarRider
    Free Member

peterfile, it will go in the boot with both wheels and the bars off. I can two bikes in the car by just removing the front wheels and dropping them behind the seats wrapped in a blanket…

peterfile
    Free Member

thanks dakar.

would you recommend the 5 generally? I’ve had a drive in one but don’t really have much to compare it too. Felt more nimble than it looks, quite liked it actually.

argoose
    Free Member

Its all done on statistics, get a car that new drivers are not likely to have totaled,
    1.8 estate good starting point

breadcrumb

Some kind of estate that you can pull the rear seats out of and tint rear windows?

DakarRider
    Free Member

Peterfile, my 535i is a lovely car, cost me £800 and has memory seats, phone, TV, Nav, auto wipers, xenons and a thumping great v8! However they are all pretty tired now and a massive gamble. I just lost mine with a £900 bill for wheel bearings and rear suspension, plus a cracked subframe that needs welding.
    I think I am still up on the deal as it will never depreciate and this work could have needed doing on any cheapo car!
    It’s a second car for us, so the fuel consumption is less of an issue, but if you commute in it, 24mpg might get expensive!

King-ocelot
    Free Member

A lad I know was in a similar situation and ended up with a Toyota Corolla, I don’t know how much boot space you need but some of these hatches/estates with the rear seats down can be deceptive.

My friend sold her 206 2.0 convertible so someone who was 23 with 4 years NCB who was going to pay £3200 to insure it, The car was sold for a grand.

srednivashtar
    Free Member

Honda Jazz perhaps? It’s group 3, tons of boot space with seats that fold flat and surprisingly nippy. Has air con too which is always nice. I’m 23 and my 03 reg with 32k miles cost me £3000 and is £500 to insure with my dad on as a named driver.

peterfile
    Free Member

thanks dakar.

I’ve been looking at 2004/2005 models which seem to have taken most of their depreciation hit (judging by comparing with 2003 models for example), but they are still e60’s and so the relatively low price seems to be a good compromise.

My friend sold her 206 2.0 convertible so someone who was 23 with 4 years NCB who was going to pay £3200 to insure it, The car was sold for a grand.

everyone keeps telling me how expensive new driver insurance is, but to be honest, the quotes I’m getting for pretty powerful cars are lower then mrs peterfile can get (she’s 24 with 3 years licence and NCB).

Presumably age is a big factor?

DakarRider
    Free Member

Ah, the E60 is a whole different kettle of Fish…

The e39s have complex suspension, ecus etc, but are at least vaguely user servicable. I did oil / filters and spark plugs on my V8 for £50, which would have been about £300 at a stealers.

The E60 doesn’t even have an oil drain plug IIRC, so you need a vacuum pump. If you have a good local independant and don’t want to service it yourself it will be fine.

jfletch
    Free Member

Age is the biggest factor by a long way.

I can’t remeber the exact stat but its something like men under 24 are 4 x more likely to be involved in an accident than an average driver.

peterfile
    Free Member

The E60 doesn’t even have an oil drain plug IIRC, so you need a vacuum pump. If you have a good local independant and don’t want to service it yourself it will be fine.

I know naff all about engines 🙂

fortunately, mrs peterfile works for BMW so we get a really good rate on servicing and parts.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘cheapest vehicle for a 18yr old to insure?’ is closed to new replies.