Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Cheapest solution from 9 speed Triple to Double?
  • ipaulog
    Free Member

Setting up a second hand bike for an inexperienced rider. It came with XT 9 speed triple and 175 cranks. She needs a double and 170 cranks (165 if available). What is the simplest solution in terms of components that need to be bought/swapped? It’s always more complicated than I imagine!
    Thanks for any input,
    Paul.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

any 9/10 sp double crank set should do it.

ipaulog
    Free Member

Thanks. So the 9 speed chain will work ok and the front shifter?

dovebiker

Chain will be OK. With the front shifter you’ll have a spare ‘click’ and adjust the mech stop screws to limit the throw

notsospeedydaz
    Free Member

I’d be tempted to do away with front mech and go 1x 10

shermer75
    Free Member

Chain will be OK. With the front shifter you’ll have a spare ‘click’ and adjust the mech stop screws to limit the throw

This^ is what I did 🙂

jekkyl

don’t use the front shifter & mech beyond the lower two rings.

simondbarnes

I’d be tempted to do away with front mech and go 1x 10

Which would involve changing chainset, shifter, chain, cassette and rear mech. Hardly the simplest solution which is what the OP was asking for!

notsospeedydaz
    Free Member

Missed the staying 9speed !

Could do what I done bought a new bike and all my 11 speed stuff went on the other half’s bike

ipaulog
    Free Member

I’d be happy with a single ring set up but this is not ideal for the rider I’m setting it up for. If need be we will shell out for a new XT 10 speed double chainset and I’ve got a barely used 10 speed chain if the 9 speed one doesn’t work for any reason.
    I normally forget something important which involves spending more than planned and the budget is tight.
    Thanks for the input.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Cheapest solution from 9 speed Triple to Double?’ is closed to new replies.