• This topic has 14 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by cokie.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Cheapest RS1 and hub please
  • pipiom
    Free Member

My mate’s building a Niner Jet 29er and wants one of these puppies.

Anybody know where the best deal is?

pipiom
    Free Member

Saturday morning bump….before I tell him to “wiggle” it

njee20
    Free Member

Google.de and search.

rhayter

Is he sure he wants RS1? Has he ridden one? They look awesome but the aggregate of all the magazine reviews would be “meh”.

I know, I know… Don’t bother having a go about trusting mag reviews. But it’s really rare for a new product to get such universally poor-to-middling reviews these days. Especially one from Rock Shox.

br
    Free Member

Is he sure he wants RS1? Has he ridden one? They look awesome but the aggregate of all the magazine reviews would be “meh”.

I know, I know… Don’t bother having a go about trusting mag reviews. But it’s really rare for a new product to get such universally poor-to-middling reviews these days. Especially one from Rock Shox.

This

Quite amusing that the first article in WMB was that they were a must-have product – and then they rode them in a later edition…

benji
    Free Member

Buy a canyon and strip it for bits.

njee20
    Free Member

BikeRadar gave them 2/5 IIRC. Must say I’d not have one.

pipiom
    Free Member

OK, finally persuaded him to not get RS1…….question now is: Reba, Rev, or SID;

He’s quite a strong rider, really rips into climbs, so fragile is not an option.

Any assistance would be appreciated

IA

RCT3 SIDs IMO*. Assuming we’re talking 100mm forks for covering trails quickly. I’d say I’m fairly strong and at 90kg no xc whippet and they do me fine.

(i have a bike with SIDS and one with Rebas, SIDs are better and if they’re considering RS1 then they’re still “cheap”).

tomhoward

My first thought when i saw the thread, before reading it was ‘ditch the RS1 and get a SID’.

So yeah, that.

nickdavies
    Free Member

Racer: SID’s
    Trail rider: Reba’s
    Burly rider who wants a stiff fork and the frame can cope with 120mm+: Revs.

Would be Reba’s for me.

br
    Free Member

He’s quite a strong rider, really rips into climbs, so fragile is not an option.

Revelations, stepped down to whatever travel he needs – or <left field>, a Pike (same weight as a Rev, at least in 26″ Solo) and far stiffer.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Manitou xc fork, got one on my element and very pleasantly surprised (nearly 90kg riding xc like inside am/enduro)

AlexSimon

I wouldn’t necessarily discount the RS-1s without riding them.

The problem with upside-down forks is that they have one clear compromise – torsional stiffness.
    A lot of reviewers know this, twist it between their legs and then whenever they feel it on the trail, disregard the fork as flexy. You can feel it on tufty, heathery grass and at the edge of some ruts.

What I’ve found with my Maveric DUC32s is that if you just get on and ride them, they are great. In fact they are much stiffer fore-aft than ‘normal’ forks which brings other benefits.

I have no idea whether the other aspects of the RS-1 (damping performance) are comparable with the forks recommended above, but if the negative reviews focus on lack of torsional stiffness, I’d be wary and try some out for yourselves.

Just my 2c. It’s not like there aren’t loads of good forks out there.

cokie

If he wants something different, yet well performing, how about the Cannondale Lefty? Fantastic fork (and cheaper than the RS-1).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Cheapest RS1 and hub please’ is closed to new replies.