• This topic has 63 replies, 44 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by loum.
Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Cheapest possible food stuffs for lunch at work??
  • binners
    jekkyl

apples
    oranges

flybywire
    Free Member

lidl locally which is handy @ work

This morning porridge oats (£.59 for 750gram bag) with milk from staff canteen (have most mornings and lasts ages)

lunch – pitta wholemeal x 3 (toasted) containing some grated cheese with tinned mackeral,topped with rocket and other leaves. side of baby plum tomatoes.plain yoghurt for desert

banana at 3pm.
    commute home 14miles

brakes
    Free Member

cooked ham – £1.00

where can you get ham for £1?
    as in ham made from pig.

binners

Flybywire – lYou do realise that, as you read this, in the staff canteen there’s a meeting going on to find out “which ****ing **** keeps nicking all the ****ing milk!!!” 😆

flybywire
    Free Member

good point 😳 – at least I’ve reduced my daily tea intake to recompence 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

local company here banned breakfasts at work…. made front page of the PnJ and everything.

wouldnt work in my office – would be mass rebelion

seosamh77
    Free Member

brakes – Member
    cooked ham – £1.00
    where can you get ham for £1?
    as in ham made from pig.

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=276308312

says 86% pork.

Would buy better stuff myself from the deli, but if cheapness is the plan well it can be had(food is one thing i dont’ mind spending money on.).

trail_rat
    Free Member

the mrs used to work at the supermarket deli – the things she saw nearly turned her vegi.

not all is as it seems with supermarket delis.

imagine giant spam cans – when are then cut up in the machine and presented on lovely plates to make it look nice.

tomaso
    Free Member

Chinese supermarket noodles come in dozens of flavours that actually tast good compared to super noodles or pot noodles. 35p and upwards in Lancaster.

Other than I feast mainly on left overs (I cook too much on purpose) or as my daughter puts it seagull diners :mrgreen:

brakes
    Free Member

115g lasts 8+ days?
    I would struggle to stretch that much ham out to 2 days.

seosamh77
    Free Member

brakes – Member
    http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=276308312
    115g lasts 8+ days?
    I would struggle to stretch that much ham out to 2 days.

mixed in with all the other stuff I mentioned, you could make it last 5 days.

maccruiskeen

Grated carrot and houmous in pitta bread. Maybe a hint of chilli sauce as well.

I wouldn’t even feed a prisoner of war crap like that, even as a punishment

Tell you what – a carrot and humous sarnie really hits the spot. I think its one of the best things you can put between two slices of bread and is one of my favourites for lunch on a long ride. Great with crispy bacon in too if its meat-less-ness causes moral offence

TPTcruiser

Malt loaf and peanut butter.
    There’s a super sized Soreen one for £1 available at the moment but I have had Morrison’s basic 29p ones in the past.
    Or porridge, but you need golden syrup as well.

steve-g
    Free Member

I am sure cooking too much of whatever is for dinner then microwaving it at lunch time is both the best and cheapest option.

I go to costco, buy massive amounts of all the ingredients for not much money, today I have used £3 worth of mince, £1 worth of chopped toms, some herbs, worcestershire sauce, and a whole packet of spaghetti from the Nisa 64p, so under £5 worth of stuff, and that will feed me, the wife, both kids, the MIL and there will be a lunch, probably 2 left over. whats that, assuming kids eat half portions, £5/6 so 83p per portion

mrchrispy

if we cook extra it just HAS to go in the bin, or the freezer for a few months, then it goes in the bin. this is because all food goes off immediatly and you will die a horrible horrible food poisoning death. or so my bat s**t crazy wife seems to think!!!

personally I’ll stop eating something if either my eye water when I smell it of it crawls out of the fridge under its own power

Cougar

If that ‘toast sandwich’ link is to be believed, you always have the option of Fitless Cock.

I generally have a Pasta ‘N’ Sauce which can be had for about 50p, or leftovers from last night’s meal which is essentially free food.

mrchrispy

small veg soup at work is 36p, I start eating the desk by 3pm mind

mefty
    Free Member

Dahl costs very little to make and if you a stock cube or 2 it makes an excellent lunch, probably costs at most 30p a portion if you buy indian spices rather than barts one, add 100g of rice which costs 15p based on tesco 4kg basmati bags and you have a substantial lunch.

cheers_drive

There is some pretty poor food suggested here, even if it is pennies. If you have heating facilities at work for a pound you could easily make large batches of soup / slow cooker meals. Much healthier and tastier.
    For the person who mentioned soup not sustaining them for riding, it depends what’s in it – watery consommé no, hearty soup yes.

IanW
    Free Member

Bag of spinach, packet of beetroot, few tomatoes about £3 and will last all week. Throw on a bit protein, tuna , mackerel etc for say a pound a day and you have a weeks lunches for £8.

Top em off with snack time visit to Gregg’s for about the same again.

johndoh
    Free Member

The cheapest I ever managed (as a student) was half a cup-o-soup a day with supermarket own brand sliced loaf – divvied out to last the week.

takisawa2

Lemon curd sarnies.
    Food of the gods.

loum
    Free Member

Roadkill au vin

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Cheapest possible food stuffs for lunch at work??’ is closed to new replies.