Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Cheapest place to get Decking from?
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

As the title suggests, I’m trying to find out where the cheapest place is to get decking from. Had a look in B&Q and it seems really expensive.

Got to build the kids a tree house and also deck part of the garden.

Any thoughts welcome.

Cheers

B

brack
    Free Member

HMS Nelson?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Go to a builders merchant/wood yard.
    And don’t look at the price, look at the quality. B&Q stuff is rubbish: The tiny thin planks they sell are really not worth bothering with, you’ll be lucky if they last 5 years.
    I got some waaaay better quality decking deliverered for a bit less than their prices. Also, no matter what they say it’s already been treated with, treat each board seperately, front and back, before you lay it.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

What’s best to treat it with?

Could I also do the garden table and chair with the same stuff? Normally put teak oil on it.

darrell
    Free Member

IKEA

bruneep

and here comes the oldest joke in town……………

I’m not usually one for circulating warnings about potential scams but I had a close miss last night.

I walked into B&Q to buy some stuff for the garden, and some old guy dressed in orange asked me if I wanted decking.

Fortunately, I got the first punch in and that was the end of that. But that’s my karate training; you might not be so lucky. Be careful out there!

No! I don’t have a coat today.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Selco have an amazing offer on at the moment, think it’s around £4-5 per 4.2 meter length, 120mm wide I thing. Could be slightly off,but around that. Quality looked pretty good too.
    Would be perfectly suitable for a treehouse.

You need to be a trade member to buy, if they knock you back,email me and I’ll give you my trade card number

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

We just treated ours with some stuff in a can. I forget exactly what, but there’s loads of stuff available.

The stuff I put down was partly laid over an old concrete path, bolted to the back of the house and supported by 3 sturdy wood posts concreted into the garden. All held together with bolts, threaded rod and the decking all screwed down at every intersection.
    Overkill? I just did a proper job.
    I reckon I could have parked the car on it without it moving. It never so much as creaked in the 6 years before we moved out!

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

slight hijack – anyone know where I can get wooden railway sleepers (Manchester area) that haven’t been creosoted?

Ta

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Cheapest place to get Decking from?’ is closed to new replies.