Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Cheapest place to buy XT brakes?
  • 06awjudd
    Free Member

Hi all,
    Looking to buy some Shimano Deore XT brakes (the newer ones).

Rose Bikes have them on their website (for a very good price £60 I think!), but they are US, so right hand is rear, left hand is front. I would buy them, and just swap them round, but it occurred to me that the cable lengths will be all wrong.

Anyone done a similar thing?
    Or know of somewhere else where I can get ’em cheap?

hainman
    Free Member

I ordered some last month from merlin for 123quid but same as rose bikes,wrong way round.but they came 24hrs after i ordered them so was well chuffed with that….

alfabus
    Free Member

but it occurred to me that the cable lengths will be all wrong.

eh?

the rear hose will be long, and the front hose short – you swap the levers over, not the calipers.

Dave

alfabus
    Free Member

grr, stupid ‘you move too fast’ page making me double post!

belugabob
    Free Member

Swapping the hoses over is not an issue, as you probably need to shorten them anyway.
    Just trim them both, then connect them to the opposite levers.

P.S. Deore or XT – they’re different, aren’t they?

steviepcommencal
    Free Member

When I bought them from rose I got an extra set of olives and washers for when you change the cables over

nickdavies

That’s about as cheap as you’ll get them – Rose were out of stock when I got mine last week and it was £150 for a pair from H&S. With icetech rotors £213, Rose are now in stock and the whole lot is £190 shipped.

06awjudd
    Free Member

Is it a pain swapping the levers over? Will they need a rebleed afterwards?

DrP

^
    Not really.
    Plus, it’s a good skill to learn.

DrP

Mister-P
    Free Member

Swapping and shortening hoses (not cables) is really easy to do. There have been loads of threads about it on here.

06awjudd
    Free Member

Awesome – I didn’t want to have to pay for a bleed, as I don’t have the kit.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

it’s not as straightforward as people like to make out, seems to be an element of luck as well. As carefully as I could, I did the lever swap and shortened one of the hoses. ended up having a rebleed at the LBS. The brakes worked well, even with air bubble in them, but I eventually had to get them sorted properly.

Orangejohn
    Free Member

Disagree with the above.
    Between me and the wife, three sets from Rose.
    They didn’t even need a bleed – uncouple one lever, keep hose vertical, do second lever re-attach both, ride.

Perhaps we were lucky – but in any event you should get a bleed kit.
    In my opinion it is something that you should do at home like a lower leg service as opposed to sticking it in the shop every six months or so.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Cheapest place to buy XT brakes?’ is closed to new replies.