Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Cheapest place to buy 29er wheels?
  • chunkymonkey1982
    Free Member

Building a XC 29er, need some wheels, whos got the best deals? Was thinking Stans Crests…

Any ideas?

Thanks

Candodavid
    Free Member

Halo vapour wheel set.
    Tubeless up easily, hold nice and true form, and paid less than £250 for the pair

devbrix
    Free Member

Superstar Pacentis. Have them on my Santa Cruz Tallboy LTC. Good wheels.

ohrats
    Free Member

If you’re brave, HongFu (blank chinese carbon frames and wheels) will probably do them.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Granted, not Stans, not Tubless, but I just got a pair of these for my Fargo..

cheap as chips..

Spotty dog IMHO.

njee20
    Free Member

Much cheaper wheelset generally those, although they do some great deals often.

emac65
    Free Member

Super star crests were around 200 last time I looked.Did manage to source a nice pair of Arch’s this year-rear of ebay with sunringle hub & CRC were doing a deal on front hope’s.Ended up paying around £200 for the pair…Having rode both,I’d go for Arch’s if you can get some,as they’re just that little bit stiffer

takisawa2

Second hand off here. 🙂

Northwind

I just recently got a set of superstar Pacentis on their Switch hubs- not the lightest, I think there’s a lot of weight in the hubs and they’re pg spokes, but they were also £140 for a tubeless ready wheelset with known, servicable parts. So it’s not an incredibly shiningly brilliant deal but it’s a good option.

blastit
    Free Member

I have a set of superstar Pacentis they weigh in the same weight as my crest/hope which also have plain gauge spokes.Only difference is the hope are standard qr front and rear and superstar are 9mm front 10mm rear. Weighed without skewers.
    Spokes seam a bit slack on them , so I have had to give them a bit of a tweek.
    So for the money I’m happy 🙂

acidchunks

I was thinking about buying those a month or so back. Ended up getting a pair of custom build XTs on 319s from bike discount for £125 instead. Not the lightest wheels but they’re really well built.

wilko1999
    Free Member

My standard response on cheap 29er wheelset threads :

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/red-power-29-xl-disc-6-bolt-54317/wg_id-2376

I’ve got a set on my Scandal and they’re light (for the price) and tough

chunkymonkey1982
    Free Member

In that case, these should be good too right? MT66 is basically XT stuff?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-mt66-mtb-wheelset/rp-prod92359

packer
    Free Member

I bought those Charge ones recently for use on my commuter.
    Very happy with them, they feel stiff and strong and the hubs spin nicely.
    My only complaint is they are not light, but at that price you can’t have it all!

acidchunks

Those MT66 are for centre lock rotors, probably fine if that’s what you need.

timb34
    Free Member

MT66 is more like SLX I think – Shimano have XT and XTR branded wheels as well.

I had a pair of 26″ MT65s and they were easy to use tubeless, light enough and tough enough. Odd spokes and nipples though. At the time they were the cheapest tubeless option I could find.

I was looking at 29″ tubeless wheels yesterday – apart from the MT66s the cheapest light-ish pair I found were Actionsports – 1720g, about 270€ (depending on shipping) DT swiss 370 hubs and their own Atmosphere SL rims – seem similar to Crests in width and weight, but my German-language googling isn’t good enough to find out what people think of them.

Lots of other choices from Actionsport or Superstar for around 350-400 €, but then you’re pretty much up to the budget for a set of Light-Bicycle carbon wheels (around $600)

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Cheapest place to buy 29er wheels?’ is closed to new replies.