Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Cheapest place for Hope BB bearings?
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

Since the demise of my LBS, I’ve lost my source of cheap Hope bearings.

So, who’s selling the cheapest?

(I want genuine Hope/INA 24mm ID bearings, not 25mm ID with a plastic top hat)

johnellison
    Free Member

Your local bearing shop. I kid you not. Google bearing suppliers in your area, take the offending items to the trade counter and get them to match a set. And insist on SKFs.

z1ppy

or INA or FAG, basically ‘any’ branded bearings.

Just bought some bearing from Kaesae (Katec-bikes) & they were exactly as promised, less hassle than wandering to my normal bearing supplier & the same price..
    http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/airborne10101

If you buy the cheapest you can find, you’ll end up with rubbish chinese bearings. Someone on here bought some ridiculous amount (say 20) bearing for a £5 off eBay, then proceed to have to change them weekly as they self destructed (might be slightly exaggerated but you get the point).
    A branded bearing will cost around (up to) £8 each.

cp

I doubt you can buy off the shelf bearings that fit without a nylon top hat – the Hope bearings are a custom size for them & I highly doubt there is any aftermarket supply.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’m not buying cheap. I’m buying SKF/FAG/INA.

However, if you can find me the SKF/FAG/INA part number for a 24mm ID, 37mm OD, 7mm width bearing, I’ll be impressed.

Now, 25X7X37 is standard, but that requires a plastic top hat spacer. Which I don’t want to use.

I’m quite happy to use Katec for most bearings, but his Hope BB ones are 25mm ID.

Hence my question, who’s selling Hope ones the cheapest. CRC have them at £15 each. LBS ued to sell them to me at £11 each. Maybe thats one of the reasons he’s gone bust…

bigyinn
    Free Member

Im pretty sure Hopes BB bearings are bespoke, no off the shelf equivalents. However Enduro bearings are the same dimensions, so axle sits directly on the inner race, no top hats required. Try BETD for these.

z1ppy

apologies, missed the BB bit in the title.. just wanted to add my Katec recommendation for others.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Try BETD for these.

Cheers bigyinn. Eemail to betd sent to check outer dims.

RustyMac

The hope bearings are a slightly different size from the ones used in Shimano BB’s.

The only direct replacements i have come accross are the Enduro ones as mentioned above.

See link below to ebay for some

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Enduro-External-MTB-Bottom-Bracket-BB-Replacement-Spare-Bearings-Kit-Hope-UK-/150976962535?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item2326ed9fe7

Enduro bearings are high quality bearings.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Thanks Rusty Mac.
    Enduro it is then. I’ve got the Hope bearing tool as I’ve got Hope BBs on 3 bikes now…

bigyinn
    Free Member

Rusty Mac – Member
    The hope bearings are a slightly different size from the ones used in Shimano BB’s.

HT2 BBs have 3 common sizes AFAIK.
    Shimano bearings are 6mm wide, 37mm OD and 25mm ID. No aftermarket replacements available.
    Hopes are 7mm wide, 37mm OD and and 24mm ID. Enduro bearings & Hope only
    Superstar and others are 7mm wide, 37mm OD and 25mm ID. Std 6805 / 61805 2RS (exactly the same bearings, just different references).

Northwind

After my last set I wouldn’t touch enduro bearings, put a set in my Shimano deore BB and they lasted even less well than the originals. Dismal, and expensive.

Hope’s own bearings aren’t much more expensive, I’d go with that personally.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Out of interest, how do you get a 7mm bearing in a cup designed for a 6mm bearing?
    Not trolling, just interested.

Northwind

Was that at me? I used the Enduro Shimano kit, from BETD.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Indeed it was mr wind. Were the bearings 6 or 7mm dia?

Northwind

The seal fitted flush in the BB and the chainline was unchanged so I’d assume it was the same thickness as the original.

Either way, they were pish, mind.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

The Hope ones are custom INA bearings. made to Hopes spec. they last plenty long enough so I’d just buy them and fit them.

orangeboy
    Free Member

15 is not to bad as rrp is now £16.80 or £31.60
    Stainless / ceramic

A lot of prices have gone up in the last 6 months
    I’ve not found any others apart from hope enduro that have the 24 mm id

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Cheapest place for Hope BB bearings?’ is closed to new replies.