Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Cheapest IT solution to run Zwift?
  • timidwheeler

I’ve been reading the Zwift thread and I want to join in. However my PC is still running XP. I don’t really have an other use for a laptop or PC so how cheaply can I cobble something together just to be a Zwift/turbo trainer computer.

(PS Mr TW is a software engineer and can build from parts)

nathb
    Free Member

If you have an iPad the app will be out soon.

timidwheeler

No Ipad. I wonder if buying one may be the cheapest option?

wilburt
    Free Member

I’ve run it well enough on a basic laptop £2/300 but you should be able to put together a desktop from old an new parts for less.

Then a basic turbo, speed sensor and ant+ usb are all you need.

nathb
    Free Member

If your trainer/speed/cadence/heart rate sensors are Bluetooth you don’t even need a dongle for your computer, you can use your phones bluetooth via the zwift mobile link app.

If in budget I’d recommend a smart trainer (tacx flow from Halfords is £200) as it’s much more fun having it change resistance for you.

scaredypants

computer-wise, cheapest prob to buy W7 and maybe a slightly posher video card if needed ? (if your pc can run 64bit). Then a ANT+ dongle for 10-20 quid

bike-wise. do you already have a turbo trainer that’s on their list of compatible devices? Mine’s pretty old but it’s on there and works fine as a dumb device. If so, then all you need is a speed sensor (can have cadence & HR too but I think it’ll run without)

blitz

In the same boat as the OP. Just picked an iPad mini 2 up from Tesco. £189 but I had another £24 in club card vouchers to use so picked up for £165. Will be good for general stuff and for the kids too so seemed like a good option.

http://www.tesco.com/direct/ipad-mini-2-32gb-wifi-space-grey/380-0143.prd?skuId=380-0143

The-milkybar-kid
    Free Member
    leeroybrown
    Free Member

thats what i run apart from mine has 8gig ram
    i had to buy a graphics card as the built in one is rubbish

The-milkybar-kid
    Free Member

Cheers

stumpy01

If I was building one from scratch, I would probably try and get a refurbed desktop to have permanently set-up with the turbo trainer and pair it with the largest monitor I could afford. Probably a cheap pair of speakers too.

I was surprised my almost 6yr old mid-range (£550) laptop runs it without issue even though the graphics spec is below the min spec required by Zwift.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Cheapest IT solution to run Zwift?’ is closed to new replies.