Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Cheapest fixie wheelset?
  • joe1983
    Free Member

My d*ckhead mate is convinced he wants ‘one of them new fixie things’. Under duress I have agreed to build it for him, anyone know the cheapest place for a pair of new fixie wheels? As long as they are reasonable thats all I’m after as I’m sure his interest will wane as the fad dies a death.

Ta

sc-xc

A pair?!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

planet x do them for under £100 i think

alternatively getting a pair of shimano disk front hubs built onto open pro rims might be cheeper and lighter. Swap the “rear” for a shimano rear axel and use the spare cones/spacers to up the OLD to 120mm. Et voila, 1 pair of lightweight fixie wheels. You could go quite a bit lighter as shiano hubs arent that light, but that woul need you to fid some other brand producing half decent disk front hus that use 10mm axels, which AFAIK doesnt exist (IIRC standard front axels are 9mm).

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

shotgun/dibs when he sells it as well.

joe1983
    Free Member

OOps, maybe I should have mentioned this is for a ROAD fixie. Probably quite vital info, but I like your suggestion thisisnotaspoon!

Stoner
    Free Member

joe, spoon forgot to mention the important bit about the “rear” hub:
    http://www.velosolo.co.uk/shopdisc.html

the reason you use a disk hub is to mount an ISO cog.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

sorry for the confusion, yea, you buy a cog and bolt it onto the disk tabs. Makes for a suprisingly neat looking wheel, and you dont have the worry of the locknut spinning off. And if your on a budget you can buy cheep roadie cassette, break it appart, attack it with a drill and you’ve got 8/9/10 different sprockets to try out.

joe1983
    Free Member

Aah, I think I get it now. Cheers guys

joe1983
    Free Member

err, actually would that only work on a mtb frame due to the different axle widths? Plus don’t I need 27inch wheels not 26? Or am I missing something?

sc-xc

fixed hub built onto wheel by lbs = about £50. Then get any other road front wheel. Best route to getting a fixed is get a suitable bike secondhand/ebay/skip and do it yourself. Just make sure you get a frame with either track ends or campy dropouts.

akira

I have a pair of very lightly used ones of an Iron Horse Transit as I upgraded to some bling Halo ones, pain to post but if you’re London based you can have them for a reasonable amount.

joe1983
    Free Member

thanks sc-xc

akira – in Manchester I’m afraid

akira

Ah well not to worry, probably not worth it by the time postage and stuff gets added and also having twins tomorrow so would be quite likely to forget or post them to the wrong place! 😉

joe1983
    Free Member

yeah, wheels are not fun to post. Good luck with the twins!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Cheapest fixie wheelset?’ is closed to new replies.